The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I’d suspect Sheerin will want to play 2 up front so it will be Hetherington sitting beside Telfer and Miller and Ross covering those positions.

Possibly could be playing Telfer in there but as I said earlier I'd much rather see him further up the park with a box to box midfielder and Hetherington in behind him.

Hopefully Sheerin has an Aberdeen lad lined up on loan for the box to box midfielder.

Edited by FFC 1876

Just now, FFC 1876 said:

He's most likely guessing given he still had 2 years left on his deal at Cove and Hartley's hardly likely to throw us a free bone.

I looked at the Cove press release earlier. It said that the clubs had agreed "suitable terms". 

That could mean we've given them 50K, with a promise of another 100K to follow when we sell him to Barcelona. 

It could also mean we've given them SFA because his contract allowed him to walk after only a year. Say because of a promotion clause, or an appearances clause, or something completely different. And then bunged them a tube of smarties as compensation. 

Like you, I don't see us buying out a two year contract for someone unless he's a fantastic prospect, which this boy doesn't appear to be  - at least judging by the reports from the Cove fans. 

28 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I’d suspect Sheerin will want to play 2 up front so it will be Hetherington sitting beside Telfer and Miller and Ross covering those positions.

Telfer is never, in a hundred million years, a sitting midfielder. He's a 10, behind the main forwards, able to create chances and pose a goal threat, as we saw last season. If Hetherington is the holding midfielder we need someone beside him with real energy and the ability to break forward. We do not need two midfielders camped out in front of our defence in League 1. 

3 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Telfer is never, in a hundred million years, a sitting midfielder. He's a 10, behind the main forwards, able to create chances and pose a goal threat, as we saw last season. If Hetherington is the holding midfielder we need someone beside him with real energy and the ability to break forward. We do not need two midfielders camped out in front of our defence in League 1. 

Telfer can from what we seen last season play in a midfield two but we're much better getting him higher up the park as you havd said. I just worry that if he's in beside Hetherington he won't be able to affect the game as well as he should as he'll have to sit deeper. Doesn't exactly have the engine in him to go box to box either.

9 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Telfer can from what we seen last season play in a midfield two but we're much better getting him higher up the park as you havd said. I just worry that if he's in beside Hetherington he won't be able to affect the game as well as he should as he'll have to sit deeper. Doesn't exactly have the engine in him to go box to box either.

He's not even a tenth as effective in a conventional midfield role. Hetherington has already stated his preferred position - fine, that's boxed off, we need that box-to-box type we've been looking for since, well, since Vaulks left the club 5 years ago. We also need at least one first choice centre half and another forward would not go amiss either. Loads of work still to be done right through the spine of the team, but presumably this is a large part of why we are paying a wage to a Sporting Director whilst marooned in the third tier, and you'd be expecting to see the benefits of that very, very soon.

3 minutes ago, AGPar said:

He's not even a tenth as effective in a conventional midfield role. Hetherington has already stated his preferred position - fine, that's boxed off, we need that box-to-box type we've been looking for since, well, since Vaulks left the club 5 years ago. We also need at least one first choice centre half and another forward would not go amiss either. Loads of work still to be done right through the spine of the team, but presumably this is a large part of why we are paying a wage to a Sporting Director whilst marooned in the third tier, and you'd be expecting to see the benefits of that very, very soon.

Sheerin will most likely have a few from his Aberdeen 20's team he'd like to bring in as loans.  So depending on what position those players are we'll most likely strengthen elsewhere. More likely to get a box to box midfielder from an academy on loan than you are to sign one permanently. 

Transfer Wish List:

A back up goalkeeper
A starting centre back to play with Dixon
A back up right back
A box to box midfielder
Two strikers

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We seem to have an overabundance of attacking MIds number 10s . Ross, telfer, nisbett, whilst  I'm still not sure we've solved our age old issue of legs in the middle of the park yet though as you say. 

We seem to have an abundance of dross plus a quality LB. 

28 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I looked at the Cove press release earlier. It said that the clubs had agreed "suitable terms". 

That could mean we've given them 50K, with a promise of another 100K to follow when we sell him to Barcelona. 

It could also mean we've given them SFA because his contract allowed him to walk after only a year. Say because of a promotion clause, or an appearances clause, or something completely different. And then bunged them a tube of smarties as compensation. 

Like you, I don't see us buying out a two year contract for someone unless he's a fantastic prospect, which this boy doesn't appear to be  - at least judging by the reports from the Cove fans. 

50k? - I would hope not 

Agreed to terms is we agreed with Cove to take over the players contract for the remainder of his contract, 1 year. In turn, Cove waive their right to a fee and in doing so get him off their books. If the player did not ask for a move, he would have been entitled to a settlement fee as Cove would be breaching his contract. However, Falkirk agree with the player that if he waived his right to compensation from Cove and signs for them, he gets an extra year added to his contract. 

In doing thusr, it costs Cove nothing to get him off their salary, and it costs Falkirk no transfer fee.  If he turns out to be a star and somebody wants to sign him at season end, we get a fee.  If not, he is ours for another season. That's the only gamble we have.

8 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Seems a bit strange us signing players that struggle to get a game for cove.  Squad cover perhaps? My scouting report is he's not very good unfortunately.

Well aye, naturally. If your 'scouting report' said that he was brilliant, you wouldn't have told us.

Looking at the squad as is stands I’d say there’s another 5 or 6 still to come in.

Goalkeeper

Centre back 

Right back 

Winger/centre mid 

Striker x 2

I’d want most of these remaining signings to add additional quality as atm we seem to have a squad largely made up of ‘decent enough’ players.

7 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

And a young centre back capable of starting ahead of Mckay

McKay will start every game unless he's injured, suspended or the notion after about ten games that he is indeed a bit dugshite, which might be sooner if he has the misfortune to play beside Hall. 

7 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Looking at the squad as is stands I’d say there’s another 5 or 6 still to come in.

Goalkeeper

Centre back 

Right back 

Winger/centre mid 

Striker x 2

I’d want most of these remaining signings to add additional quality as atm we seem to have a squad largely made up of ‘decent enough’ players.

Pfft wishful thinking on the quality front. I'd agree on numbers, but I have the feeling after the signing of Ross, you might get another one or two "decent enough" the rest will be jersey fillers, I hope I'm wrong.

15 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

The narrative of Sheerin being a puppet for Holt seems to be wrong, who would have thought.

How many signings except yesterday's signing of Ross do you think Sheerin made ?

11 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

2 year deal and we've paid money for a guy that neither cove or stenny fans rate as up to much at all is a wee bit concerning. He sounds like the kind of player cove would've been happy to punt for nowt.

How much ?

12 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Sheerin will most likely have a few from his Aberdeen 20's team he'd like to bring in as loans.  So depending on what position those players are we'll most likely strengthen elsewhere.

My worry is that Sheerin has been working with boys for too long and who appear "superstars" at that level, but then when we bring them in they are boys against men. Ruben Sammut, Kai Fotheringham types.

We cannot again rely too much on loan deals and not one of our own signings to date has given me any hope for this season ahead.

We really need a "thinking outside the box" signing a la Stainrod to lift the fans and the club and inspire the players.

Does anybody have Jim Jefferies' phone number? He might have somebody in his little black book.

Edited by Bairn in Exile