The Falkirk FC Thread

I went up to Stirling University this afternoon to see the end of the first half and all of the second half.

Was 1-0 to Falkirk at half time, then 2-0 (near post header from a corner no9 I think). Then Falkirks better players came off and it ended up 2-2 with Falkirk hanging on a bit.

Was surprised to see such a strong Falkirk side. Dixon, Morrison,  Dowds, Miller, Telfer, Hetherington etc.

Always hard to take anything from these pre season games but as you would expect Morrison and Dixon stood out. Telfer did okay. the rest noone stood out at all in the time I was watching. 

2 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

I went up to Stirling University this afternoon to see the end of the first half and all of the second half.

Was 1-0 to Falkirk at half time, then 2-0 (near post header from a corner no9 I think). Then Falkirks better players came off and it ended up 2-2 with Falkirk hanging on a bit.

Was surprised to see such a strong Falkirk side. Dixon, Morrison,  Dowds, Miller, Telfer, Hetherington etc.

Always hard to take anything from these pre season games but as you would expect Morrison and Dixon stood out. Telfer did okay. the rest noone stood out at all in the time I was watching. 

Better players?

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Better players?

sorry maybe that should read better known players.

New left wing back reminded me of Luke Shaw physically.  Was caught for speed a few times down our wing. wasn't overly impressed by our no9 and no14 strikers who had no names on their shirts. albeit caveat I only saw about 60 minutes.  dowds looks unfit but again pre season. 

Morrison had a couple of good free kicks well saved. we looked a bit all over the place at the back when the subs came on. 

Guest Caractacus Potts

I’m not impressed with the CVs of some of the trialists but I honestly wouldn’t read too much in to pre-season results or performances, good or bad. 

Hopefully we just need them to fill a team and Holt is watching other players, with a better pedigree, 3 times(or whatever it was). 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

2 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Brad Mckay played OK, think McCann and mcguffie might have been playing too but my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be and without a team sheet I was struggling 

McCann not playing left wing back?

Just now, bridge of allan bairn said:

callum Davidson and Liam Craig were watching the game

Both local maybe just popped along. Can’t see them looking at any of our dross. 

5 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

callum Davidson and Liam Craig were watching the game

Do St Johnstone not use Stirling Uni facilities as well same as we originally done.

10 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

just googled him and think it might well have been him, if so his distribution was decent, only concern was we we stripped down both wings for pace a few times at left and right back

Doubt it'll have been Mccann playing at right back. Could have been the same trialist we had against Irvine Meadow?

47B0FE9F-71B7-47D3-9315-D6FB4910A338.png

13 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I’m not impressed with the CVs of some of the trialists but I honestly wouldn’t read too much in to pre-season results or performances, good or bad. 

Hopefully we just need them to fill a team and Holt is watching other players, with a better pedigree, 3 times(or whatever it was). 

Its the chance to try pairings, partnerships, formations. Trying out players in unfamiliar positions amazing how some great players came from playing in a position due to circumstances and excelling. Archibald a defender at Clyde and switched to a forward by Billy McNeil due to injury at Aberdeen and Willy Miller farmed out to the juniors as a winger and returned as a defender all due to a sending off in a game he was playing and played a stormer. So you never know !

Guest Caractacus Potts
2 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Its the chance to try pairings, partnerships, formations. Trying out players in unfamiliar positions amazing how some great players came from playing in a position due to circumstances and excelling. Archibald a defender at Clyde and switched to a forward by Billy McNeil due to injury at Aberdeen and Willy Miller farmed out to the juniors as a winger and returned as a defender all due to a sending off in a game he was playing and played a stormer. So you never know !

I won’t judge till the season kicks off but fair to have reservations. Seemed to be one of a few of people I know that had reservations about Hartleys signings when looking at their background. Doesn’t mean to say the opposite can’t apply though, look at Farid and Taylor for instance. 

What I will say is we don’t seem to be doing anything out of the ordinary with regards to player recruitment.  

Just seen the list of things produced on the website. If Holt has identified 3 players for every position then presumably that means these guys are within that target list, otherwise why are we not getting them in with just over 2 weeks till the start of the season! Unless one of those targets is Eduoard!

38 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

possibly,  I was stood some distance away and there were loads of subs I was trying to remember as many names on shirts as I could from a distance to those I didn't recognise

Welcome to watching Falkirk FC in the last 5yr or so, new team every season and age doesn't help in that period.

42 minutes ago, Rugster said:

No. They have training facilities at McDiarmid. 

I didn't realise they no longer used Stirling. Seems sensible to build training facilities at McDiarmid though will have saved them a few bob in the long run too.

Edited by Shadwell Dog