The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Peter LaFleur
3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

That could be the only reason as he is garbage too, just like Keena 

That’s funny, 6 months ago you had Keena as good enough for top end of the Championship? Opinion change purely on a short spell when he came back from injury and the team created absolutely nothing for him during our capitulation?  I’m not disputing for a minute he under-performed last season but I think it’s lazy to write him off as garbage. The guy has just turned 22 and already has had previous successful spells in football. If we create chances and play to his strengths he will come good, imo.

You also had Alston under the same bracket which is mind blowing as after 90 minutes of watching him it was obvious he was finished as a player.

3A0036D4-6836-45FC-92E8-677FAB502EED.jpeg

Edited by Peter LaFleur

2 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

That’s funny, 6 months ago you had Keena as good enough for top end of the Championship? Opinion change purely on a short spell when he came back from injury and the team created absolutely nothing for him during our capitulation? I think it’s lazy to label him garbage. The guy has just turned 22 and has had previous successful spells in football. If we create chances and suit his strengths he will come good, imo. 
You also had Alston under the same bracket which is mind blowing as after 90 minutes of watching him it was obvious he was finished as a player.

3A0036D4-6836-45FC-92E8-677FAB502EED.jpeg

There's no doubt he has goals in him but he's not going to make those goals for himself. If we're playing one upfront then he shouldn't be starting but he's a good option to have coming off the bench when the games opened up a bit. He's not going to hold the ball up for you or run the channels. His game is finding the right place in the box to put away chances, we never created any chances last season so he couldn't do that.

I think I'm a Keena truther too. Was desperate for him to come back from injury as we were awful up front and I'm hoping that he was so poor because we rushed him back and created absolutely nothing for him.
That said, I'll be very worried if we go into the season with him as our main striker.

Guest Peter LaFleur
25 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

I think I'm a Keena truther too. Was desperate for him to come back from injury as we were awful up front and I'm hoping that he was so poor because we rushed him back and created absolutely nothing for him.
That said, I'll be very worried if we go into the season with him as our main striker.

100% we definitely need two strikers in this window with one of these coming in as our main striker. Keena’s injury problems is a concern for me as well. 

39 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

100% we definitely need two strikers in this window with one of these coming in as our main striker. Keena’s injury problems is a concern for me as well. 

Ruth and another most likely. Robertson getting himself a goal yesterday according to Bridge of Allan bairn. Wouldn't be too comfortable with either Robertson or Wilson being the other as they don't seem to offer anything different from what we already have. 

Looking at some of the comments and players we have been linked with I think a lot of us are expecting another McManus prolific goal scorer when thats going to be unrealistic for us.  As much we have spectacularly f**ked up player recruitment over the past 5 seasons there can be a number of reasons players have'nt hit those heights fair enough it could be they are not very good but also comes down to who they have around them and the chances being created.

Lumping the high ball up the park in the hope that someone can get on the end of the header isnt a tactic.  We play better when we keep the ball on the deck, not to mention if we have our main threat or in our case only threat as in last season being Morrison being marked off the park then your going to lose when you have no one else that has that bit of spark about them.

3 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Looking at some of the comments and players we have been linked with I think a lot of us are expecting another McManus prolific goal scorer when thats going to be unrealistic for us.  As much we have spectacularly f**ked up player recruitment over the past 5 seasons there can be a number of reasons players have'nt hit those heights fair enough it could be they are not very good but also comes down to who they have around them and the chances being created.

Lumping the high ball up the park in the hope that someone can get on the end of the header isnt a tactic.  We play better when we keep the ball on the deck, not to mention if we have our main threat or in our case only threat as in last season being Morrison being marked off the park then your going to lose when you have no one else that has that bit of spark about them.

Livingston literally got promoted doing this.  Not saying I want us to be a route one team but it certainly has its uses with the right personnel.

Until proven otherwise, we are a gang of a football team and until we're comfortably top of the league after a round of fixtures then my view won't change. You just don't get good football teams at this level.

2 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Livingston literally got promoted doing this.  Not saying I want us to be a route one team but it certainly has its uses with the right personnel.

Until proven otherwise, we are a gang of a football team and until we're comfortably top of the league after a round of fixtures then my view won't change. You just don't get good football teams at this level.

Sammon as much as he had a bit of height about him was in the same sense of a Marcus Haber in the fact he got smaller when he went up for the high ball, though Haber was a lazy b*****d was another factor in why that one didnt work.

You can understand if its a part time team and they have another job on top of being a football player but the thing is we are full time and it is their sole job playing football.

11 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

We've literally just watched 2 seasons of hoofball and you're advocating it? Get the ball down and play. Yes we need to have a bit of grit and be capable of battling but we need to control games and play football which is the only way we'll break teams in this league down. Our only creativity came from Morrison and Telfer(who was largely injured) last season. So the new signings in Nesbitt, Mcguffie and Ross need to add to that so we're less likely to be nullified by for example Morrison being doubled up on. Mccann and Williamson pushing higher up the park should also help with that as it should mean teams can't double up on our wingers. 

Edited by FFC 1876

16 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

We've literally just watched 2 seasons of hoofball and you're advocating it? Get the ball down and play. Yes we need to have a bit of grit and be capable of battling but we need to control games and play football which is the only way we'll break teams in this league down. Our only creativity came from Morrison and Telfer(who was largely injured) last season. So the new signings in Nesbitt, Mcguffie and Ross need to add to that so we're less likely to be nullified by for example Morrison being doubled up on. Mccann and Williamson pushing higher up the park should also help with that as it should mean teams can't double up on our wingers. 

No I'm not advocating it. I'm saying with the right players it is still effective. Nothing wrong with it if it works.  We do not have those players though. We also do not have the players to get the ball down and play either.  To summarise - we're pish.

Not getting the Morrison being creative bit. He dances on the touchline before over hitting crosses. Did he get any more than 2 or 3 assists least season? He's been hyped up way beyond his capabilities.

13 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

No I'm not advocating it. I'm saying with the right players it is still effective. Nothing wrong with it if it works.  We do not have those players though. We also do not have the players to get the ball down and play either.  To summarise - we're pish.

Not getting the Morrison being creative bit. He dances on the touchline before over hitting crosses. Did he get any more than 2 or 3 assists least season? He's been hyped up way beyond his capabilities.

Morrison needs to work on his final ball but to say he's not creative is a joke. He was one of the only players last season teams were scared of and hence they doubled up to try nullify him. One of the only players last season I'd have happily paid the £19 pay at the gate to watch. No wonder he only got 2/3 assists we had Sammon playing upfront the majority of the season.

1 minute ago, FFC 1876 said:

Morrison needs to work on his final ball but to say he's not creative is a joke. He was one of the only players last season teams were scared of and hence they doubled up to try nullify him. One of the only players last season I'd have happily paid the £19 pay at the gate to watch. No wonder he only got 2/3 assists we had Sammon playing upfront the majority of the season.

Sorry not buying that. If he is so creative then what is he creating? It hasn't been chances because his final ball is horrendous. As i say he dances on the ball and that is it. 

You can't be creative and create nothing. 

1 hour ago, latapythelegend said:

That's an interesting point yet we still get the likes of Shadwell expecting us to go out and sign proven goal scorers and box to box midfielders like they're ten a penny. I'm not saying that's impossible but it's certainly not as easy as some folk think. 

1 hour ago, latapythelegend said:

Agreed. I actually feel a bit sorry for the guy as there's far too much expected of him IMO. I wonder if he's maybe going to be played up front this season given Holt's 'there's already goals in the building' comment?

2 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

That's an interesting point yet we still get the likes of Shadwell expecting us to go out and sign proven goal scorers and box to box midfielders like they're ten a penny. I'm not saying that's impossible but it's certainly not as easy as some folk think. 

Agreed. I actually feel a bit sorry for the guy as there's far too much expected of him IMO. I wonder if he's maybe going to be played up front this season given Holt's 'there's already goals in the building' comment?

Funny you should say that because one of our only "moments" last year was Dowds turning a full back and putting in a great ball for Morrision to score at home to Cove!

Maybe Dowds is our creative spark 👀

What I don’t understand in our current sorry situation is of us saying that we are going to be working with a signed squad of 18 players then making do with another 4 loan signings. I am assuming that we are going to be paying part of these loan player’s wages and probably having to arrange some accommodation for them if they are coming from Aberdeen, for instance?  I was always advised to buy a house instead of renting as the rent that you pay is dead money that you will never see again, whereas if you take out a mortgage and buy a property then you have secured an asset for the future. Surely us loaning (renting) players is exactly the same?  They come to our club to develop at our expense, go back to their own club a better player and have an increased value that helps their club while, if we have missed out on promotion, we get zilch in return. If we sign a couple of our own players and they improve and grow in value then that is to our benefit, not some other club.

Now, Phil Rawlins hasn’t made his millions without being an astute businessman. He must spend some of his time assessing his businesses, assets, stocks, etc. and he must know that in business you sometimes have to speculate to accumulate. He needs to look at our situation and say to himself, “how much would it cost this club if we don’t get promoted”? Season ticket sales probably down from 2,500 to maybe 1,500 if we are lucky, there’s a drop in income of £200,000 for just one season for starters. And on and on as we languish in League 1. Screwing up his 5 year plan to get us into the Premiership.

Imagine the lift the whole place would get if we pushed the boat out and signed two players in a similar mould to say Declan McManus or Zak Rudden, costing us maybe £50k each, almost guaranteeing us goals at this level. That would really show that we mean business. And they would be our sellable assets.

I remember in my past as a salesman that I would be presenting new products to customers and they would be reluctant to buy the stock, saying that “I can’t afford to buy it right now”. I would often counter that argument with this response: “Can you afford not to”?  That’s where we are at, we can’t afford not to buy those two extra players.

Edited by Bairn in Exile

29 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Sorry not buying that. If he is so creative then what is he creating? It hasn't been chances because his final ball is horrendous. As i say he dances on the ball and that is it. 

You can't be creative and create nothing. 

It won't be the only example but it's very much the prime example that sticks to mind. Around 5 minutes and 30 seconds in Morrison literally can't do any better with that delivery. A 6 yard tap in for Sammon and he hits the bar.

Edited by FFC 1876

10 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

What I don’t understand in our current sorry situation is of us saying that we are going to be working with a signed squad of 18 players then making do with another 4 loan signings. I am assuming that we are going to be paying part of these loan player’s wages and probably having to arrange some accommodation for them if they are coming from Aberdeen, for instance?  I was always advised to buy a house instead of renting as the rent that you pay is dead money that you will never see again, whereas if you take out a mortgage and buy a property then you have secured an asset for the future. Surely us loaning (renting) players is exactly the same?  They come to our club to develop at our expense, go back to their own club a better player and have an increased value that helps their club while, if we have missed out on promotion, we get zilch in return. If we sign a couple of our own players and they improve and grow in value then that is to our benefit, not some other club.

Now, Phil Rawlins hasn’t made his millions without being an astute businessman. He must spend some of his time assessing his businesses, assets, stocks, etc. and he must know that in business you sometimes have to speculate to accumulate. He needs to look at our situation and say to himself, “how much would it cost this club if we don’t get promoted”? Season ticket sales probably down from 2,500 to maybe 1,500 if we are lucky, there’s a drop in income of £200,000 for just one season for starters. And on and on as we languish in League 1. Screwing up his 5 year plan to get us into the Premiership.

Imagine the lift the whole place would get if we pushed the boat out and signed two players in a similar mould to say Declan McManus or Zak Rudden, costing us maybe £50k each, almost guaranteeing us goals at this level. That would really show that we mean business. And they would be our sellable assets.

I remember in my past as a salesman that I would be presenting new products to customers and they would be reluctant to buy the stock, saying that “I can’t afford to buy it right now”. I would often counter that argument with this response: “Can you afford not to”?  That’s where we are at, we can’t afford not to buy those two extra players.

I kind of agree.  I'm not a fan of loan players, they only work if you get promoted. Otherwise it's been pointless for the club.  See Scott Allan for The Caley last season.

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

It won't be the only example but it's very much the prime example that sticks to mind. Around 5 minutes and 30 seconds in Morrison literally can't do any better with that delivery. A 6 yard tap in for Sammon and he hits the bar.

Not denying that but for every good cross there are 3 or 4 absolute shockers. 

Its one thing I've never understood. Any professional footballer should be able to cross the ball at a good height somewhere between the 6 yard box and the penalty spot 80% of the time. 

Just now, latapythelegend said:

Not denying that but for every good cross there are 3 or 4 absolute shockers. 

Its one thing I've never understood. Any professional footballer should be able to cross the ball at a good height somewhere between the 6 yard box and the penalty spot 80% of the time. 

Aw come off it, if a players putting in a good cross every time he won't be playing at our level that's for sure. Morrison will be a key player for us this season and if we sign a proper striker then we'll see a much better return on his assists. We were shite last season but still the amount of chances Sammon missed was incredible.

"How can a professional footballer miss from 12 yards"