The Falkirk FC Thread

37 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

His last game for the first team was Ross county away which I’m sure is the day after McKinnon was announced as manager.

It was. There was some sort of deal that Hartley's coaches took the team that day, so Gordon Young was in charge and Tam Ritchie did the fitness. They were both gone on the Monday morning, along with any hope Russell had of ever playing for us again. 

3 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I felt sorry for Brough as he was never given a proper shot at it up here. He spent all his time in Bannatynes keeping himself fit.

I think it was the Partick game where Dallison got played up front and Brough had a good game he seemed to be the one player that gave a shit he was just let down by who he had with him Harrison wanted him to do well looked as if he was up here to get away from his past and a new start.

1 hour ago, ebobsboy said:

Could be doing with all three of that ilk. 

Exactly. Thing is, none of them were trialists. If we're relying on finding some gem from a few bounce games then the horse has already bolted ( or is that Holted). Squad atm looks no where near good enough imo and if we've already signed our main targets we're in for another rough ride.

22 minutes ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

Exactly. Thing is, none of them were trialists. If we're relying on finding some gem from a few bounce games then the horse has already bolted ( or is that Holted). 

We found two gems from bounce games that season. Taylor and Leahy were trialists when we went up North to play Fortmartine & Turiff and were signed afterwards. 

Farid and Vaulks were trialists playing in bounce games too. As was Rory Loy. 

22 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

We found two gems from bounce games that season. Taylor and Leahy were trialists when we went up North to play Fortmartine & Turiff and were signed afterwards. 

The difference just now being the ones we had last season ie Francis (honking) the ones we have on trial just now Robertson, Wilson, Weekes etc aren't hidden gems whilst not being household names they aren't exactly unknown, and you wouldn't be overly enthused if we signed any of them. I don't think as others have mentioned the squad as it stands is anything special at all in fact it's probably not a huge upgrade on last season's. We need better if we are to have a great chance rather than just being "in the mix"

The boy from Aberdeen we are rumoured to be interested in doesn't seem to know where the goals are either looking at his stats, your hoping Sheerin knows his stuff because that's another uninspiring addition if it happens. 

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Not buying Taylor. 

Ross Wilson tipped off Pressley before he got snaffled elsewhere. He was no more a trialist than fly in the air.

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Only thing I remember about the Turriff game was Pressley shouting "pockets" non stop, and camping out in heavy rain in a tent that was too small so my legs were sticking out the opening.

Edited by welshbairn

15 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Not buying Taylor. 

Ross Wilson tipped off Pressley before he got snaffled elsewhere. He was no more a trialist than fly in the air.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I remember a story of them signing AFTER that tour accompanied by a picture of both standing together at the team bus. There's a very, very elderly acquaintance of both of us who I'm sure will be along shortly at least to supply the picture if not confirm my belief. 

If he was signed beforehand then it wasn't publicised. Not unless my own elderly memory is failing me. 

I tried to find the article on it but google failed me. 

7 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I remember a story of them signing AFTER that tour accompanied by a picture of both standing together at the team bus. There's a very, very elderly acquaintance of both of us who I'm sure will be along shortly at least to supply the picture if not confirm my belief. 

If he was signed beforehand then it wasn't publicised. Not unless my own elderly memory is failing me. 

I tried to find the article on it but google failed me. 

I am not saying he didn't sign after that tour but he was always signing. I assume Pressley used it to get to know him just to make sure. It certainly wasn't the normal "trial"

Edited by Back Post Misses

1 minute ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Pity as he would have been just what we were looking for.

Never seemed to kick a ball for Torquay.

An absolute nuisance who puts himself about must be a nightmare for defenders to play against. Real shame injuries seem to have got the better of him.

Exactly the type of player we need though as you said.

2 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Fair enough, Id agree with some of that, ( Vaulks was watched before being invited up )but point is we've had  Sporting Director in place from January ( which we dont have back then) who remit allegedly is to target players, yet here we are a few weeks before the season starts and we have key positions to be filled and are scrambling about with trialists with unimpressive backgrounds.

Edited by Syd Puddefoot