The Falkirk FC Thread

10 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

I think most of us are realistic to know better but the same time you dont ask you dont get however unlikely it is.

No one ever thought we would see players the likes of Stainrod, Mo Johnston and Chris Waddle in a Falkirk top but it happened.

Exactly ! Nothing to lose everything to gain.

Sound him out.

Question. What would you require and want from FFC to become our manager ?

Answer. A. Not interested ( OK wish you well for the future )

Answer. B. I want X, Y, Z before before we even discuss any further (reply 1- No wish you well for the future. reply 2- OK can do lets talk further)

It would be gross neglect by the new board not to make contact.

1 minute ago, Blame Me said:

That's presented as if that's *not* part of his role and shows the writer doesn't understand what the remit of "Sporting Director" held by Holt does.

I'd be happy for Holt to go but he's been maligned in all quarters based on hearsay and no actual evidence of interfering.

As stated at the Q&A Sheerin had some involvement prior to his appointment and Holt signed some to bolster a squad at a time when we couldn't afford to hesitate in the summer market.

That and the fact that we've been absolute horse shit since he arrived in post.  His signings have been dreadful and his time in charge of the first team was perhaps the worst run of results in many a year. 

Guest Ecosse83
55 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

I'd appreciate BPM not pissing on my Jack Ross fire and just let me enjoy the feeling until Kenny Miller is appointed. 

I was wondering who was going to mention Miller first 😂

21 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Is he a failed hibs manager? Who was the last Hibs manager to take them to a third place finish and two cup finals? They've been on a poor run of late but  it seems very knee jerk to me to punt him a week before a cup final a la spurs and mourinho.  

Allow him to work without a contract to begin with so he can move on if a much bigger club comes in for him.  Bit of a gamble but worth taking considering the other options out there.

I wouldn’t say so mate but that seems to be the opinion of some Hibs fans. Came as a shock to most but I guess the same could be said of other fans when Housty left us. 

In any case if it is the opinion then all the better for us to attempt to lure him. 

The contact thing is a good shout. Just any idea that can convince be it short term or long. 

8 hours ago, Van_damage said:

As mentioned before Steve Clarke from WBA to Killie was a bigger drop down than Hibs to Falkirk. 

Even if you accept that English Championship Reading to Scottish Premiership Kilmarnock is a bigger drop than Hibs to Falkirk, Clarke had left Reading two years before taking the Kilmarnock job. He'd been an assistant manager for some of that time as well, but it was pretty clear that bigger jobs weren't coming around any time soon. Ross left Hibs a day ago.

7 hours ago, Van_damage said:

Just off the top of my head but it appears managers in the recent past have went on to better things from being successful in the 2nd tier than the Premiership. 

Alex Neil to Norwich, McInnes to Bristol City, Owen Coyle to Burnley, Jack Ross to Sunderland and Alan Stubbs to Rotherham to name a few. 

I understand there are more plausible arguments for him not to make the job but the club should be presenting him with as many reasons as they can as to why he should join. 

is it too much to just try?

Alex Neil only got his move when he had Hamilton sitting third in the top flight, level on points with Celtic in January. Derek McInnes only got his move in his third season in the top flight. Alan Stubbs got his move based on a cup run rather than his performance in the league. Robbie Nelson got his move in his second season in the top flight while sitting second in the league, having finished third in his first.

If a move to England is what a manager is planning on, it's very rare to get one based on performance outside the top flight alone. In Jack Ross' case, when he's gotten a move based on a job he did Championship already, failed in England's League One then been sacked by a Scottish Premiership club as well, there's no chance he's getting a big move again without succeeding in the Premiership again.

Maybe the next move isn't his motivation for his next job and he just wants to get into a club and stay long term after two sackings, but the nature of his failure at Hibs - he's been undone by one terrible run of results but still left the club in a better place than they were in when he took over - means that he's going to be the frontrunner for jobs like Motherwell, Dundee or St Johnstone whenever they come up. That doesn't stop any club lower down the pecking order asking the question, but from Ross' perspective sentimentality would be the only reason to do it.

3 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Even if you accept that English Championship Reading to Scottish Premiership Kilmarnock is a bigger drop than Hibs to Falkirk, Clarke had left Reading two years before taking the Kilmarnock job. He'd been an assistant manager for some of that time as well, but it was pretty clear that bigger jobs weren't coming around any time soon. Ross left Hibs a day ago.

Alex Neil only got his move when he had Hamilton sitting third in the top flight, level on points with Celtic in January. Derek McInnes only got his move in his third season in the top flight. Alan Stubbs got his move based on a cup run rather than his performance in the league. Robbie Nelson got his move in his second season in the top flight while sitting second in the league, having finished third in his first.

If a move to England is what a manager is planning on, it's very rare to get one based on performance outside the top flight alone. In Jack Ross' case, when he's gotten a move based on a job he did Championship already, failed in England's League One then been sacked by a Scottish Premiership club as well, there's no chance he's getting a big move again without succeeding in the Premiership again.

Maybe the next move isn't his motivation for his next job and he just wants to get into a club and stay long term after two sackings, but the nature of his failure at Hibs - he's been undone by one terrible run of results but still left the club in a better place than they were in when he took over - means that he's going to be the frontrunner for jobs like Motherwell, Dundee or St Johnstone whenever they come up. That doesn't stop any club lower down the pecking order asking the question, but from Ross' perspective sentimentality would be the only reason to do it.

Fair points. I just want to remain hopeful it can be achieved but do know it’s unlikely.

21 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

I wouldn’t say so mate but that seems to be the opinion of some Hibs fans. Came as a shock to most but I guess the same could be said of other fans when Housty left us. 

In any case if it is the opinion then all the better for us to attempt to lure him. 

The contact thing is a good shout. Just any idea that can convince be it short term or long. 

Couple of Hibbee mates dismissing him becoming our new manager on basis that he was still commuting from Northumberland to Edinburgh as his family are based there. 

That potentially is the deciding factor rather than our current status or money.

39 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Couple of Hibbee mates dismissing him becoming our new manager on basis that he was still commuting from Northumberland to Edinburgh as his family are based there. 

That potentially is the deciding factor rather than our current status or money.

Yeh if that’s the case then definitely sounds like it could be more of a deciding factor. 

12 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It's surely worth asking though. That costs nothing.  Imagine we don't bother and a few weeks down the line he's managing queen's park or QoS. I'd just put the feelers out just in case.

Why does this bother you, and others, so much? How would the fans even know if they HAD asked him? 

They ask him, he says no, what then? Do you want an announcement from the board stating "here's our new gaffer, we did ask Jack Ross, but he said no. Anyway, here's the new guy".

2 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

Why does this bother you, and others, so much? How would the fans even know if they HAD asked him? 

They ask him, he says no, what then? Do you want an announcement from the board stating "here's our new gaffer, we did ask Jack Ross, but he said no. Anyway, here's the new guy".

Why does it bother a Livingston fan what I'm writing about Falkirk?

3 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Suppose you have to do something to keep yourself occupied as a Livvy Supporter.

🤣

FWIW, Ross I think would be an excellent appointment for Falkirk. His previous record in the lower leagues is very good, and I think he's been harshly treated by Hibs after last season. That said, I think he gets a bit of an easy time of it because he talks well. Noises in the summer of Celtic and Scotland was utterly ridiculous.

I just don't get why there seems such a clamour amongst your own fans for the club to sound him out/ask the question, when in all eventuality you will never know if the question has been asked. You surely just have to trust your new board to know what they're doing on that score?

4 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

🤣

FWIW, Ross I think would be an excellent appointment for Falkirk. His previous record in the lower leagues is very good, and I think he's been harshly treated by Hibs after last season. That said, I think he gets a bit of an easy time of it because he talks well. Noises in the summer of Celtic and Scotland was utterly ridiculous.

I just don't get why there seems such a clamour amongst your own fans for the club to sound him out/ask the question, when in all eventuality you will never know if the question has been asked. You surely just have to trust your new board to know what they're doing on that score?

You obviously don't know much about Falkirk. If someone is asked we always hear about it.

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You obviously don't know much about Falkirk. If someone is asked we always hear about it.

I do know that if you ask someone, and that someone says no, then whoever does get the job will start their tenure knowing that they weren't first choice. 

I've read enough to know that your club has went to pot and ruin largely due to the decisions made by a car crash of a board. If leaks to fans/press have been part and parcel of that, hopefully your new board members will be a bit more professional and tight lipped. 

Sorry to change the topic but just giving this a wee plug for the CI. 

If you watched on the night then there’s an additional 30 minutes of footage and if you didn’t then it’s a great insight to the 1990/91 season and given the last few years a welcome reminder of what we can achieve. 

The purpose of this video is to raise money for the CI campaign so please use the link in the YouTube description to give a nominal donation if you watch it. 

Premieres on YouTube tonight at 8pm. 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, mozam76 said:

You would have to respect the conditions set by Ross at the start of any discussion. If its a private conversation ie would you be interested in talking to us then rightly that stays private.

If he says yes let talk then its reasonable that is made public due to the speculation.

Think a few folk have said aye, think even a few Airdrie supporters have said take him. This article pins where its going wrong:

https://www.cityliveglasgow.com/journalism/2021/12/9/next-manager-options-four-managerial-candidates-to-replace-sacked-falkirk-boss-sheerin
Although these options look desirable for Falkirk fans on paper, it may be difficult to lure a decent manager to the side, as sporting director Gary Holt has a reputation of being very hands on when it comes to recruitment, something many managers may find intrusive.

I didn’t say take him. I suggested that he should be top of your list as I imagine he would be attainable and I suspect he would be very interested in the job

16 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I didn’t say take him. I suggested that he should be top of your list as I imagine he would be attainable and I suspect he would be very interested in the job

What length of contract is Murray on with you guys? I think he has done a decent job at Airdrie, he's well and truly had our number over the past couple of years if that counts for anything, and given some of the other names quoted, I would not be at all against Falkirk at least asking him if he has any interest in it. In fact, of the candidates that could be termed "realistic", I'd have him down as the best option.