The Falkirk FC Thread

I have lost count how many times our manager has says over the last 3/4 months, that our slow start to last season cost us. We are days away from our first competitive start and we have a severe lack of firepower.

I still support him in making the right decisions but time is against us. If it doesn't work out, I suppose the board or Gary Holt will get the blame

If you look at our last two championship winning sides they were put together early doors with a few additions to the squad added late on as a bonus. Neither McCall or Hughes were scraping about on the eve of the season looking for a striker to lead the line.

The fact remains though that the type of striker we need, i.e. an 'experienced' guy who can prove to be our main goalscorer is not exactly freely available.

Yes, Houstie has known for months that Loy was leaving and should have been planning a replacement and I'm sure he has been looking in that time, obviously without success. I think the chance of a player of that calibre to come in at this late stage is now fairly remote unless we get down to the wire with players who are still without a club.

I think it's more likely that he'll eventually bring in a young loanee who's had some success in the under 20's in England.

Surely there must be more options out there than that pair and Heffernan though. How is it that the likes of Pressley and Holt both rookies in the job can uncover decent strikers and yet Houston struggles to uncover anyone apart from guys we've all known about before? We now risk bringing someone in who isn't fit due to them missing preseason and who will take time to settle in with the team. We need to hit the ground running this season and not be playing catch up straight away like last year.

Id think its the wages we are offering, the targets that Houstie maybe interested in is somewhat out of our budget, hence why his range is players in Scotland.

A big world out there and yep Id love if we had strikers in from Europe but if we are not handing out decent money, they wont come. We got lucky with Farid and Taylor, tip offs from folk who didnt work for the club in the same manner as Taylor Morgan was. Loy wouldnt have been near us if he didnt break his leg, after all he came to us on trial a week before the first cup game v Clyde in that season which kinda tells its own story where Loy was regarding having a club.

The market is not rich with top class strikers willing to work for under £600 a week. We should be using our track record for developing young player to perhaps get a loaner from an English club who needs first team experience. The Scottish market does not have this type of player

Surely there must be players out there who don't have a club though that would rather be taking a wage than sitting getting paid hee haw. It's the Scottish championship we play in they don't have to be superstars to do well.

I'm interested to hear you of all people. If you are so sure, name examples. The evidence so far suggests it's anything but sure, but you seem convinced.

Thanks for all your glowing reviews of Taylor Morgan. I feel you've painted a picture of what we can expect from him.

I regrettably confirm that we have signed him. I will be sure to keep you guys updated with how young Taylor gets on as I'm sure you'll all be desperate to monitor his progress.

xox

Thanks for all your glowing reviews of Taylor Morgan. I feel you've painted a picture of what we can expect from him.

I regrettably confirm that we have signed him. I will be sure to keep you guys updated with how young Taylor gets on as I'm sure you'll all be desperate to monitor his progress.

xox

I seem to remember when we signed him being told Ostersunds wanted him to be first choice next year and this loan was just for fitness. Clearly a load bollocks.

I'm interested to hear you of all people. If you are so sure, name examples. The evidence so far suggests it's anything but sure, but you seem convinced.

We've proven before with Farid, Taylor and Loy that its possible. These guys weren't on much with us but obviously we were an option as they had very little else available but saw us as a means to get higher up the tree. Houstons contacts should be able to uncover something you'd have thought other than Paul Heffernan who we all knew already and who most of us felt was past it.

My complaint with Houston's signings has been he's always just seemed to sign someone who was available and that everyone had heard of. If he's holding off to secure the right sort of player I find that more encouraging. We've not filled the spot but Heffernan being told to bolt made me feel a bit more positive.

I was initially down on the Watson signing but I see plenty Raith fans saying he's solid and it's not like he's been sitting on his arse all summer. McHugh is worth a punt I think, still relatively young and impressed on trial. He's done alright on loan. Rogers is a great signing.

People seem to forget we've barely let anyone. Yes Loy was hugely important but we've signed a striker to replace. The squad is full, it's just that Smith and Cooper were rotten. Not much Housty can do about them this summer budget wise.