The Falkirk FC Thread

No doubt after we "hopefully" get 2 wins in the next 2 games the chat will all be about the playoffs again.

Are we forgetting that the sides in the playoffs are the same sides who we can't lay a glove on & that's why, there where they are, & why we're where we are. The current squad is no where near good enough, the table doesn't lie.

I am honestly sick fed up of hearing all this rubbish how the players are flying in training. Who cares, there no flying on a Sat when it matters!! Would it be that hard for a few to stand out much in training with that squad either!!

I hoped like most that things would improve after Sheerin & Holt departed. It hasn't. 3 wins in 8 games tells its own story. Has anything at all improved.....I'd say no. The season will just drift away same as last season & onwards to another season in League One. The football is dreadful and never thought I'd ever say "hopefully" we'll win v Peterhead & East Fife. What a shambles and a mess. 

8 minutes ago, Fed up Bairn said:

No doubt after we "hopefully" get 2 wins in the next 2 games the chat will all be about the playoffs again.

Are we forgetting that the sides in the playoffs are the same sides who we can't lay a glove on & that's why, there where they are, & why we're where we are. The current squad is no where near good enough, the table doesn't lie.

I am honestly sick fed up of hearing all this rubbish how the players are flying in training. Who cares, there no flying on a Sat when it matters!! Would it be that hard for a few to stand out much in training with that squad either!!

I hoped like most that things would improve after Sheerin & Holt departed. It hasn't. 3 wins in 8 games tells its own story. Has anything at all improved.....I'd say no. The season will just drift away same as last season & onwards to another season in League One. The football is dreadful and never thought I'd ever say "hopefully" we'll win v Peterhead & East Fife. What a shambles and a mess. 

No being funny but your post hints of we didnt know how lucky we were with the last board and claiming the current situation is a shambles and a mess, sorry bud but the current BoD were left a shambles and a mess and are still finding things out, Holt saddled us with what i can only compare with arguable one of the worst recruitment crop since Hartleys project (did Holt use the same agent/scout). In other words apologist for the last lot with a half arsed attempt at you want the team to do well but in reality you hope it all fails.

What we need is a start point i still believe we have that in Rennie the scoring side of things seems to be ok but its fine scoring but the liabilities in defence are gifting goals of a start. Stop letting teams come at us and instead go at them from the start, instead of trying to defend when we cant

Edited by AL-FFC

12 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

If he won’t move his family from Aberdeen (and that is where he is based not Broughty Ferry) you can’t blame the club for that. 

Didn't have to be him but we needed a player of his ilk in that was for certain. Watson is an ok defender but not a leader. We still don't seem to have any real leaders in midfield or defence when it should've been priority.

21 minutes ago, MrDust said:

I for one gave every player a clean slate under Rennie but Hetherington should be below Wilson for a centre mid place.

The suspension surely will see McKay out till hell freezes.

Answered your own question re Hetherington playing. We need another centre mid in if we continue with 3-5-2 whereas a 4-4-2 or even a 4-2-3-1 we could get away with what we have I think. 

Rennie got it wrong yesterday for me, how Cove could cause havoc with their 2 up against our 4 in attack during the game when Reynolds had a cigar out till Kabia came on.

The full backs never got forward which left the mid 3 to be defensive, attacking and our width. As much as I can slate players, we really don't give them the tools to succeed and that's the managers job.

I was screaming in the 2nd half to get a centre half off, only McKay listened

Whilst I said we need another midfielder playing hetherington certainly isn't the answer till we get one.  Id rather we changed formation to get a team on the park which maximises our competent players and reduces the need for our dross. 3 5 2 certainly ain't doing that.

5 hours ago, champions said:

Ian Murray would have been the obvious choice 

Would he though,  don't get me wrong if Murray doesn't get Airdrie promotion , i think he will be in relative demand,  No that Airdrie wouldn't want to keep him, h e is doing a decent job and would be hard to replace IMO..

With McGlynn probably going at end of season (rumours) then I could see Raith come calling,    Murray is a rip it up and start again type manager 4 year of progression etc,    do you really think that the Falkirk job would suit him or a falkir k support who want to be transported to he good old days....

19 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Would he though,  don't get me wrong if Murray doesn't get Airdrie promotion , i think he will be in relative demand,  No that Airdrie wouldn't want to keep him, h e is doing a decent job and would be hard to replace IMO..

With McGlynn probably going at end of season (rumours) then I could see Raith come calling,    Murray is a rip it up and start again type manager 4 year of progression etc,    do you really think that the Falkirk job would suit him or a falkir k support who want to be transported to he good old days....

Good old days? 2016 is hardly the good old days.

If the new guys are still trying to work out the shambles left behind by the complete incompetence of the last 5 years then heaven help them. We can all see what's wrong. They have also seen what's wrong for the same period.....

Recruitment has been nothing short of disgraceful along with decisions taken by previous boards over the said period.....

Lang, Campbell, Hartley, Super Scout, McKinnon, Sheerin, Holt, Dean's etc etc etc.... We could go on and on re that list!!

What we ALL want to see is a winning FFC team on the park. 

I hope the new board do get it right, they have been left a mess but they knew this, we all did and the time for sticking plasters is long gone. Let's hope Rennie works, let's hope we scramble into playoffs, let's hope we can win 4 games on the trot.... Does anyone see that happening with the current squad & manager..... 

I hope there is a plan B.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Spot on as soon as a side presses us we're found wanting yet we give the opposition acres of space to play in.

Can you imagine the opposition pre match team talk.

This lot are shite and there for the taking. They are no match for you in the middle of the park so go out and dont give them a second on the ball on the few occasions they get hold of it.

Get players and balls into their box and chances will come and you will take them because if you think their midfield are bad their defense are even worse. 

You know what ! there team talk is spot on. Can you imagine a Falkirk manager saying that  ? naw neither can I

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Didn't have to be him but we needed a player of his ilk in that was for certain. Watson is an ok defender but not a leader. We still don't seem to have any real leaders in midfield or defence when it should've been priority.

Middle of the park is where the real problem is IMO. Any chance of getting to the play offs far less getting through them depends on us strengthening there before the loan market shuts. 

50 minutes ago, Passionate said:

If he has offers higher up then we've missed the boat. I would have went all in on murray back in december rather than experimenting with the Notre Dame women's assistant coach. But here we are.

Murray knows what the league is about, has an eye for a player (McGill, Easton, mcinroy), and whenever I've seen airdrie theyve played some decent stuff, looked well coached and fully committed to the cause, and more than likely on a fraction of our budget.

4 hours ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Anyone who is saying the manager can’t do anything due to the mess he’s been left (or words to that effect) look at Imrie at Morton. Arguably a team heading towards bottom of the league until he came in. Instant results with a bang average squad. 

Spot on. Its been done 100 times before. I hoped Rennie would have done much better even with this shit squad. 

Don't blame the board for that gamble though. We needed to get someone in fast, who wanted the job and who might do us a turn. 

It hasn't worked out so far. Maybe he'll turn it round.

Problem with changing formation is Rennie has very clearly recruited with the intention of playing a 3-5-2.

We have 6 centre halves but currently only one natural winger available in Mcguffie. 

A 4-3-3 with the 3 strikers would probably make sense but I suspect we’d get a right doing against the better teams.

The biggest disappointment for me is that Rennie has brought in 3 centre halves plus a defensive midfielder and yet we still look weak as water at the back.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

4 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I don't disagree that he's recruited for 3-5-2 but f**k me, ATS is never a CB in a million years.

I’m not convinced he’s good enough at all tbh but he’s clearly been recruited to play at CB. 

Then we have Mills who is just a totally pointless signing if he can’t get in the team ahead of McKay.

I’m optimistic a centre midfielder will be brought in this week. Will that be enough to turn us from a rabble to a team capable of promotion? I certainly hope so but we’ve already signed 3 CB’s, a CM, 2 strikers and brought Dowds back and yesterday was worse than ever.

Hopefully a competent midfielder is combined with a change in approach if we’ve to have any chance. 

By “a lot of opposition fans” you mean yourself, a Raith fan and a slack handful of others…….and even the Raith fan has lost any and all rights to show “joy” at any other club’s misfortune. 
Time for you to get over yourself.

Aye, it's definitely just that small handful of people.

There's that delusion again.

2 hours ago, champions said:

If he has offers higher up then we've missed the boat. I would have went all in on murray back in december rather than experimenting with the Notre Dame women's assistant coach. But here we are.

Murray knows what the league is about, has an eye for a player (McGill, Easton, mcinroy), and whenever I've seen airdrie theyve played some decent stuff, looked well coached and fully committed to the cause, and more than likely on a fraction of our budget.

Let’s not go down the ‘assistant woman’s coach’ route again mate. It’s insulting to Rennie and woman’s football in general. We are better than that.

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

My biggest frustration with Rennie stems around the thing thats needed fixing for seasons now and he hasnt addressed it as yet.

Despite being full time and in theory able to train more and hence be fitter and stronger, no one has made us difficult to play against. We remain the easiest afternoon in the league. More attacking talent means that sometimes that wont result in a loss because of a sheer lack of ability in the opposition, but theres no team against whom its easier for individual players to win their battles than us.

Wer not tough, we dont fight, we dont get stuck in, we dont outlast, we dont outsprint. On a physical basis, we have been pathetic since Houston left. No Falkirk team has been able to compete on that side of it with the exception of a brief few months of Hartley post January window.

Cove are neither riddled with talent, or hugely physical, but they have enough of both for this league.

I'd add that we're playing teams, not groups of individuals. Most teams we play are largely settled with the majority of players having played together for a while.  It takes time to do that and we're not going to get anywhere until we settle down and stop churning through managers and players. 

2 hours ago, champions said:

Ian Murray has managed Airdrie for 3 or 4 seasons and hasn't managed to promote them. Do you think Falkirk fans would give him that long? Not a chance! 

6 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Let’s not go down the ‘assistant woman’s coach’ route again mate. It’s insulting to Rennie and woman’s football in general. We are better than that.

Where was he last employed and what was his job title?

Its insulting to no one, its fact.