The Falkirk FC Thread

I remember Andy Thomson explaining everything about how the artificial pitch was to be funded at an AGM .. I'm sure there was supposed to be money set aside for its replacement and this was built into the whole plan. Love to know what happened to this money as concerns were raised about exactly this situation way back at the start .

26 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

the community teams have more access to the stadium and surrounding infrastructure - I'll also include Comley Park in this - and yet the major reason for any of it's existence is playing second fiddle. 

Sorry, but this is nonsense, as it the post above about the tail wagging the dog and using the badge. 

Falkirk do not play second fiddle to the Foundation. The first team have access to the main pitch any time they want it. If Martin Rennie decided tonight that he was bringing in the players on Sunday morning then any community activities which had been prebooked on the pitch would immediately be cancelled and have to go elsewhere. 

The Foundation own both Comely Park and the pitch out the back for the simple reason that they spent money to build / refurbish them. The club benefit from that because they use the community pitch for both training and matches involving the U16s / U18s. I imagine they could train the first team on it if they wanted too, as I doubt it gets much use at ten am on a Tuesday morning. 

And the Foundation ARE working with the club, in relation to Reggie' point. For example they sponsor the U16s and U18s. I'm sure if you asked Jamie Swinney he could give you a long list of examples of co-operation between the two. 

59 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He's got Raith challenging for promotion to the top flight on an absolute shoestring budget.  And yet you say that's just ok.  His recruitment has been excellent over the last few years. A manager will always want the best players it's not up to them to be the moral decision makers at the club that's down to the board. 

A shoestring budget that included 50k transfer fee, and £1500 a week for a player they can’t play. What he has done after the COVID help is not remarkable, special, or even unusual. God, Plastic Whistle did consecutive promotions from the bottom to the top.

If McGlynn is on a shoestring budget, what the hell is Dick Campbell’s?

14 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

A shoestring budget that included 50k transfer fee, and £1500 a week for a player they can’t play. What he has done after the COVID help is not remarkable, special, or even unusual. God, Plastic Whistle did consecutive promotions from the bottom to the top.

Add in 0.5M scubies the championship clubs were awarded.

24 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Sorry, but this is nonsense, as it the post above about the tail wagging the dog and using the badge. 

Falkirk do not play second fiddle to the Foundation. The first team have access to the main pitch any time they want it. If Martin Rennie decided tonight that he was bringing in the players on Sunday morning then any community activities which had been prebooked on the pitch would immediately be cancelled and have to go elsewhere. 

The Foundation own both Comely Park and the pitch out the back for the simple reason that they spent money to build / refurbish them. The club benefit from that because they use the community pitch for both training and matches involving the U16s / U18s. I imagine they could train the first team on it if they wanted too, as I doubt it gets much use at ten am on a Tuesday morning. 

And the Foundation ARE working with the club, in relation to Reggie' point. For example they sponsor the U16s and U18s. I'm sure if you asked Jamie Swinney he could give you a long list of examples of co-operation between the two. 

That’s fine then, as it should be.

25 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Dick Campbell is doing a fantastic job at Arbroath but I don't think Falkirk would suit him like Arbroath does. Could see a John Lambie situation arising there. He has control of everything at Arbroath . 

Everyone in the championship got that cash and mcglynns recruitment even before that money appeared was night and day compared to ours. Players like gullen, Armstrong and Henry were excellent acquisitions and players like Connolly have thrived under him. Bringing in Christoph Berra was a great move. He's exactly the kind of centre back we're crying out for at the moment.  Let's see who we get next and where we are a year or so from now before we put the idea that mcglynn would be a disasterous appointment out there.

42 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I remember Andy Thomson explaining everything about how the artificial pitch was to be funded at an AGM .. I'm sure there was supposed to be money set aside for its replacement and this was built into the whole plan. Love to know what happened to this money as concerns were raised about exactly this situation way back at the start .

Yes, you’re right, he did.

Anyway, I’m sure we could get a loan or lease specifically for this with the repayments being made from the income stream therefrom.

I recall that, merely to replace the carpet would not be too expensive as the groundworks had been done.

I would guess the new BOD will be looking into this.

7 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Dick Campbell is doing a fantastic job at Arbroath but I don't think Falkirk would suit him like Arbroath does. Could see a John Lambie situation arising there. He has control of everything at Arbroath . 

Everyone in the championship got that cash and mcglynns recruitment even before that money appeared was night and day compared to ours. Players like gullen, Armstrong and Henry were excellent acquisitions and players like Connolly have thrived under him. Bringing in Christoph Berra was a great move. He's exactly the kind of centre back we're crying out for at the moment.  Let's see who we get next and where we are a year or so from now before we put the idea that mcglynn would be a disasterous appointment out there.

Appreciate you are a massive, massive fan of McGlynn but come on, shirt, tie, trackies and white trainers ?? Sorry, not for me.13DEF583-C40A-478B-AB00-3D51EF3E0AF6.thumb.jpeg.0d9958616607b86861df3902bcb3ab0a.jpeg

13 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Folks say ah well other sides manage okay on it but they will play there twice a season. Falkirk play on it and train on it , it has to me causing injuries to our players.

It has to go but we are potless after years of paying off crap managers and signing on fees for hunners of jobber players, so it's here to stay for years yet  

Would it be possible to obtain  a loan for such an expenditure?

5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Appreciate you are a massive, massive fan of McGlynn but come on, shirt, tie, trackies and white trainers ?? Sorry, not for me.13DEF583-C40A-478B-AB00-3D51EF3E0AF6.thumb.jpeg.0d9958616607b86861df3902bcb3ab0a.jpeg

He could wear a bloody dress and I wouldn't give a feck if he got us promoted.Im not a fan I'd just take him if available. It's a no brainer if you ask me compared to the other options that are about.

4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He could wear a bloody dress and I wouldn't give a feck if he got us promoted.Im not a fan I'd just take him if available. It's a no brainer if you ask me compared to the other options that are about.

Agreed, you'd be insane to turn your nose up at mcglynn. Ticks all the boxes in terms of producing winning teams, good recruitment etc. If Murray was unobtainable then mcglynn would be my next choice.

Just now, champions said:

Agreed, you'd be insane to turn your nose up at mcglynn. Ticks all the boxes in terms of producing winning teams, good recruitment etc. If Murray was unobtainable then mcglynn would be my next choice.

Also has experience of running a hybrid squad if we chose to go down that route at some point.

4 hours ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Sorry, but why the f**k is Rennie staying even a conversation piece? 

No chance he'll be here next season. The BoD may have blundered by appointing him, but they are not that stupid that they'll renew his contract. 

They are watching the exact same dross as us and will know that hes not the man to mount a title challenge.

2 minutes ago, champions said:

No chance he'll be here next season. The BoD may have blundered by appointing him, but they are not that stupid that they'll renew his contract. 

They are watching the exact same dross as us and will know that hes not the man to mount a title challenge.

I think they actually like him BUT I don't think they will keep him for the simple reason the meltdown would be astronomical not to mention the £ taking a hit from season tickets etc. If we were a bit more flush and could afford to I think they might have gave him the gig next season hilarious as it sounds. But I just don't think they can afford the gamble and that is why I don't think he will be here. 

27 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

All joking apart I would be surprised if he left Raith to join us. Raith will likely become an established Championship side whereas we look like, at best, we’ll maintain a mid table position in League One for the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, Blame Me said:

It does seem that way.

A complex business structure where the community teams have more access to the stadium and surrounding infrastructure - I'll also include Comley Park in this - and yet the major reason for any of it's existence is playing second fiddle. 

FFC leaseholders of TFS they own seats in the stands but not the stands they own the playing surface but not the ground it sits on. What moron signed up to that ?

If the club want to save money then the only time we come near the place is on matchdays. Get the F out the place as the council are taking the piss and leave them with their white elephant  and the club will save a fortune. Plenty of office space available and empty premises about Falkirk that would cost a pittance.

The stadium is a millstone round our neck and about time the club played hardball with the council. We're offski here is our block booking for matchdays bye ! Council would shit themselves.

Not so sure about Raith becoming an established Championship side. Don’t look at McGlynn’s COVID assisted promotion. Look at his 2006 to 2012 tenure. It’s anything but impressive. Awful at Hearts, equally awful at the Launderers.

Certainly does not have a track record of success at Championship or L1 level, and like it or not, him and Sim were bricking it if the COVID season included them having to play us at TFS with them having a one point lead.

3 hours ago, Kircer bairn said:

Let’s be honest here if KM was being a successful Asst Manager with us his plethora of secondary employment gigs with tv channels & radio stations wouldn’t merit a second glance 

I'm not so sure. Perhaps it would be less of an issue, but tbh it would still bug me the amount of time he spends windbagging about Sevco.

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Not so sure about Raith becoming an established Championship side. Don’t look at McGlynn’s COVID assisted promotion. Look at his 2006 to 2012 tenure. It’s anything but impressive. Awful at Hearts, equally awful at the Launderers.

Certainly does not have a track record of success at Championship or L1 level, and like it or not, him and Sim were bricking it if the COVID season included them having to play us at TFS with them having a one point lead.

If it hadn't been for his excellent recruitment they wouldn't have been in.the picture. Their budget back then was about a third of ours which was why they had to turn to the hybrid set up. Christ what we'd have given for a Gullan and Henry that year. Even his signing of McLean in the January window made a big difference whilst we were bringing in dross like da vita and Josh Todd.

He's won this league twice and was the manager of the year when he took Raith to second and above us in the championship in 11/12. He took hearts to the league cup final working under strict financial conditions.  I reckon he's had a pretty decent management career but again that's just my opinion.

Guest Ecosse83
28 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

If it hadn't been for his excellent recruitment they wouldn't have been in.the picture. Their budget back then was about a third of ours which was why they had to turn to the hybrid set up. Christ what we'd have given for a Gullan and Henry that year. Even his signing of McLean in the January window made a big difference whilst we were bringing in dross like da vita and Josh Todd.

He's won this league twice and was the manager of the year when he took Raith to second and above us in the championship in 11/12. He took hearts to the league cup final working under strict financial conditions.  I reckon he's had a pretty decent management career but again that's just my opinion.

He would be a far better choice than Rennie and that’s enough for me!