The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, fuzzydunlop said:

yeah exactly - one of the players on the  Hope Street Podcasts addressed this - saying the young lads were dead on their feet and the choice of subs was questionable.

My son, who was 9 and had played for our youth teams since I enrolled him in the mini Bairns at 2, was our mascot that day and it was an immensely proud day for me due to that. From the moment he woke up in the morning (about 5am) the day had a Xmas day feel about it.

It was also brilliant when he led out a team including Duffy, Kingsley, Murdoch, Sibbald, Fulton, Alston and McGrandles who had all broken through at Falkirk - seeing those young lads, ably assisted by Taylor, Flynn, McGovern and Dods absolutely destroy Hibs in the first 45 mins was probably the proudest I’ve felt as a Falkirk fan. The Hibs fans leaving after the 3rd goal was a site to behold. I truly believe if Taylor had scored the chance to make it 4-0 we’d have scored 6 or 7 but he didn’t and it wasn’t to be. I won’t be to critical of Lyle as he was brilliant for most of that season.

It wasn’t to be but for 45 mins it was like watching Brazil except it was better because it was a team crammed full of young, Falkirk Bairns.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

26 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

My son, who was 9 and had played for our youth teams since I enrolled him in the mini Bairns at 2, was our mascot that day and it was an immensely proud day for me due to that. From the moment he woke up in the morning (about 5am) the day had a Xmas day feel about it.

It was also brilliant when he led out a team including Duffy, Kingsley, Murdoch, Sibbald, Fulton, Alston and McGrandles who had all broken through at Falkirk - seeing those young lads, ably assisted by Taylor, Flynn, McGovern and Dods absolutely destroy Hibs in the first 45 mins was probably the proudest I’ve felt as a Falkirk fan. The Hibs fans leaving after the 3rd goal was a site to behold. I truly believe if Taylor had scored the chance to make it 4-0 we’d have scored 6 or 7 but he didn’t and it wasn’t to be. I won’t be to critical of Lyle as he was brilliant for most of that season.

It wasn’t to be but for 45 mins it was like watching Brazil except it was better because it was a team crammed full of young, Falkirk Bairns.

aye man, was crazy.  I'm in Leicester. I'd been out the Friday night and woke with a terrible hangover.  Head fcking banging. Game was on TV or I managed to get it. Couple of my Leicester mates came round to watch it. After 2-0 we had the beers out and I was hammered. They couldn't believe wat they were watching(neither could I). But yeah talk about coming down with a bump.  When he missed that chance I just had that feeling...we have those "feelings" too many times as Falkirk fans dont we?!

When we walk down memory lane on this thread (which there was a lot of this summer), lots of the memories are too far back for me. 

Im sure I’ll be reminiscing on here in 30 years of that first half v Hibs though. As others said, Brazilian style football by a bunch of 17 and 18 year olds.

Annoying we couldn’t hang on. Felt sick walking up the stairs to the exit at Full time. Remember hearing the start of sunshine on Leith and forcing myself not to turn around, as that would be my main memory of the day if I did. Glad I didn’t.

Still haven’t watched past the first half on YouTube since. 

I think someone mentioned on here a wee while back about the possibility of taking Leigh Griffiths back on an incentivised type contract? He was of course a major disappointment for us last season (as many predicted) but apparently he's been doing some fairly intense boxing training in an effort to get fit and lose weight. I've been looking at his stats and, if you take out the periods with us and Dundee last season, he's scored almost 1 in every 2 games. You'd think that would be heavily skewed due to playing for Celtic for so long but he's managed it everywhere he's been!

If we could get some benevolent Bairns fans to provide the cash, do you think he'd be worth a punt this time round? He'd obviously have to prove his fitness first of course. We could maybe offer something like £500 a goal and £500 an assist.

Personally, given the obvious dearth of decent strikers, I think it would be worth the chance. 

6 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I think someone mentioned on here a wee while back about the possibility of taking Leigh Griffiths back on an incentivised type contract? He was of course a major disappointment for us last season (as many predicted) but apparently he's been doing some fairly intense boxing training in an effort to get fit and lose weight. I've been looking at his stats and, if you take out the periods with us and Dundee last season, he's scored almost 1 in every 2 games. You'd think that would be heavily skewed due to playing for Celtic for so long but he's managed it everywhere he's been!

If we could get some benevolent Bairns fans to provide the cash, do you think he'd be worth a punt this time round? He'd obviously have to prove his fitness first of course. We could maybe offer something like £500 a goal and £500 an assist.

Personally, given the obvious dearth of decent strikers, I think it would be worth the chance. 

On 07/07/2022 at 14:48, Bainsfordbairn said:

Let me assist then. There are no signings planned for today and never were, or at least not that I know of. And I was in this morning for a Foundation sponsorship image. 

I obviously can't do this every time a rumour gets posted, because some of them do turn out to be accurate. Just as sick boy was when he correctly predicted that we were signing Aidan Keena long before anyone else had a sniff. Unfortunately almost everything he's put up since then he been on a par with this.

Cove have played at least two publicised games since returning for preseason and their "signed" goalie of Robbie Mutch has yet to be mentioned.  

Mutch Cove .jpg

Hartleys departure scuppered this move.

On 07/07/2022 at 02:51, Russ said:

Nah can’t see McGlynn wanting to change from his preferred formation to a back 3.

IDK, JMcG loves a switch to three CB, and playing the wingbacks up, when facing “superior” competition. Seems to think it’ll throw them off a bit, and add a bit more width to play the ball forward from the back. Doesn’t always work that way.

6 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Who to utter heck was the co-commentator here?  Good grief.

A good day as we put Falkirk back on our mantle piece, where they belong. 

One of the several funny things regarding The Bairns that season was that Rory Loy had played for us the season before and stayed locally, and we tried to keep him, but he chose Falkirk instead because they threw more money at him.  He would make go on to 26 appearances for them, score one goal, get mutual consented the following summer and he would never play full time football again. While we romped to the title and promotion. Not the best career move by Rory.

3 minutes ago, Lex said:

A good day as we put Falkirk back on our mantle piece, where they belong. 

One of the several funny things regarding The Bairns that season was that Rory Loy had played for us the season before and stayed locally, and we tried to keep him, but he chose Falkirk instead because they threw more money at him.  He would make go on to 26 appearances for them, score one goal, get mutual consented the following summer and he would never play full time football again. While we romped to the title and promotion. Not the best career move by Rory.

Given the bit I’ve bolded if he moved house it probably was a good move for him.

Be interesting tomorrow to see what line up and formation McGlynn goes with. I'm not sure what I want from this game obviously a win but in terms of personnel if some of those with coats on a shoogly peg have a decent game will it cause a rethink by McGlynn if he was thinking of jettisoning a few.. 

Be interesting tomorrow to see what line up and formation McGlynn goes with. I'm not sure what I want from this game obviously a win but in terms of personnel if some of those with coats on a shoogly peg have a decent game will it cause a rethink by McGlynn if he was thinking of jettisoning a few.. 

I think our team pretty much picks itself at the moment. All depends if Coll Donaldson is fit and if not Leon McCann plays instead.

PJ

Williamson
Donaldson
Henderson
Mackie

Hetherington
McGinn

Morrison
Nesbitt
McGuffie

Oliver

With McCann and Yeats the only 2 actual options on the bench.

Going by McGlynn's interview it doesn't look like McKay or Ross or Sneddon are going anywhere soon 😥 and seems happy with the squad. Problems trying to get a goalscorer like most teams i'd suggest we need two strikers. Malcolm out injured so looks like we might see Wilson up front at some point tomorrow (shudder) 

17 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

McGlynn talks about four games in his FFCTV interview.

Eight players players started all four games, with the only changes being the goalies getting two games each, McKay dropping out because his wife had a baby and McGinn gradually getting more gametime as he returned to fitness. 

I would be surprised if the team wasn't very similar to what you saw against Kilmarnock and Stranraer. The possible exception being a defensive reshuffle with McKay and Henderson now being available for selection again. 

30 minutes ago, Russ said:

I think our team pretty much picks itself at the moment. All depends if Coll Donaldson is fit and if not Leon McCann plays instead.

PJ

Williamson
Donaldson
Henderson
Mackie

Hetherington
McGinn

Morrison
Nesbitt
McGuffie

Oliver

With McCann and Yeats the only 2 actual options on the bench.

Donaldson is out