The Falkirk FC Thread

51 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

If we manage to win against an established Championship team tomorrow there is every reason to think we will be in the Premiership in two years time with McGlynn the messiah at the helm

Incredible amount of bites for the most basic of fishing trips 

2 hours ago, FFC1965 said:

Interesting last few pages

Got my ticket for Spartans and Im looking forward to a wee trip across Edinburgh to see the boys.

The way I see it for a title challenge is that there are three types of team 

1.  Those who we should beat every time (Stirling Annan Kelty & Edinburgh).  OK we will slip up somewhere but the aim should be to take 10 points off each.  This 40 pts would be the bedrock of a title challenge.  Ruthless and relentless winning home and away is required

2.  Teams where we'd take a win at home and a draw away or otherwise 8+points from each across the season (Id say Montrose Alloa & Cove) so thats 24 points

3.  Teams where wed take a home win and away defeat (QOS & HAFC) so that's 6 points from each across the season for a further 12.

If my arithmetic is right that's 76 points (W22 D10 L4).  DAFC got 81 last season.  Anything less than 72 puts it in the lap of the gods  

Sorry if BPM has gone.  Played amateurs with him back in the day and he was a cultured centre back - like a poor man's Stuart Burgess. 🤣

Seriously, imho he's been treated unfairly on here as a bit of an Aunt Sally proxy for the new Board.  

Consistency wins the league that's why its the hardest trophy to win.

Friendlies I never read too much into as both managers will be trying things out with styles, different partnerships and positions.

Good display and understanding within the new look team will do for me.

25 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Incredible amount of bites for the most basic of fishing trips 

It was written very much as a happy clapper antidote to the current negativity. A pre season friendly is just that. In the pre season and of absolutely no relation to what we can expect. He is not the messiah hes a naughty naughty boy 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Bigbrbairn said:

If we manage to win against an established Championship team tomorrow there is every reason to think we will be in the Premiership in two years time with McGlynn the messiah at the helm

You guys have grown.  I'm proud of you.  

Not long ago, you got perfectly sincere posts of this nature, that were also greeted without irony.

6 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Have the club started selling hospitality for league games yet, was looking to book the Beanos game on 19th August but can’t get into book it on the club website?

This reminds me - during lockdown 1 Dave Mac ran a FFC quiz on FB. I won the first edition, and the prize was free hospitality at the first opportunity once lockdown was over!

To this day I've never redeemed it, mostly because we have been so awful to watch for much of the time, and I would have had to drive so couldn't even block out the misery with alcohol!

What do you reckon the chances are of them still honouring it after all this time? 😬

1 minute ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

This reminds me - during lockdown 1 Dave Mac ran a FFC quiz on FB. I won the first edition, and the prize was free hospitality at the first opportunity once lockdown was over!

To this day I've never redeemed it, mostly because we have been so awful to watch for much of the time, and I would have had to drive so couldn't even block out the misery with alcohol!

What do you reckon the chances are of them still honouring it after all this time? 😬

I would defo be asking the question.

I’d never been to hospitality in my life but done it twice last season (Pars November defeat and Airdrie 2-2 game), paid the extra dosh for the bar and it was definitely worth it. We were pretty pished by the time we left to make our way to Grangemouths No.1 nightspot (Railway Club) which was a good job as the footie was shite.  My highlight was one of my boyhood idols, Jim Shirra who is now an old man coming in and speaking after the Airdrie game, was great to hear his stories.

It was a really good way to put money into the club and to get an enjoyable day back.

13 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

McGlynn out if they don't 

2 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

Let's get out of league 1 first with the "messiah" 😂. Arbroath might be an established championship team but apart from the season they nearly went up they are almost always scrapping to stay in the division. I think this season they will go down, Dunfermline and Airdrie are better sides than those they replaced. It would be no shock at all if we beat them nor would it be a shock if they beat us.

Mild whoosh. Ebobsboy is a dab hand at gauging it rather well.

54 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I would defo be asking the question.

I’d never been to hospitality in my life but done it twice last season (Pars November defeat and Airdrie 2-2 game), paid the extra dosh for the bar and it was definitely worth it. We were pretty pished by the time we left to make our way to Grangemouths No.1 nightspot (Railway Club) which was a good job as the footie was shite.  My highlight was one of my boyhood idols, Jim Shirra who is now an old man coming in and speaking after the Airdrie game, was great to hear his stories.

It was a really good way to put money into the club and to get an enjoyable day back.

Jim Shirra and Richard Cadette. Two players I have been neighbours of, and who both (on occasion), could be seen playing football with kids in the street. A different breed of player who were well aware how lucky they were to be pro footballers (big Peter Godfrey was the same too).

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Have the club started selling hospitality for league games yet, was looking to book the Binos game on 19th August but can’t get into book it on the club website?

Not yet online for the league games. Only hospitality on sale so far is versus Dundee Utd.

23 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Jim Shirra and Richard Cadette. Two players I have been neighbours of, and who both (on occasion), could be seen playing football with kids in the street. A different breed of player who were well aware how lucky they were to be pro footballers (big Peter Godfrey was the same too).

Privileged to have seen all three players albeit Shirra very early days. Cadette was different class, met him a couple of times and a great guy. Godfrey was a no nonsense great CB that would have strolled it todays team.

2 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Have the club started selling hospitality for league games yet, was looking to book the Binos game on 19th August but can’t get into book it on the club website?

I thought I saw a post from the club that hospitality sales are now open for all matches. Is it done through the ticketing website ?

Edited - I tried but couldn't find it. I'm still sure the club were advertising it this week. Best to give them a ring.

Edited by Zbairn

9 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

I thought I saw a post from the club that hospitality sales are now open for all matches. Is it done through the ticketing website ?

Edited - I tried but couldn't find it. I'm still sure the club were advertising it this week. Best to give them a ring.

DU only so far as I can see.

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

Privileged to have seen all three players albeit Shirra very early days. Cadette was different class, met him a couple of times and a great guy. Godfrey was a no nonsense great CB that would have strolled it todays team.

I recall speaking to, and encouraging, Richard at a dinner (can't quite remember which) when he was struggling to make the 1st team. Ergo, I take much of the credit for what happened subsequently 😉