The Falkirk FC Thread

7 hours ago, Blame Me said:

Will be interesting to see the results today. Hamilton look favourites to keep their winning start going but Edinburgh City will be keen to get off the mark, especially at home.

Opportunity for QotS to leapfrog us in what I assume is a renewed derby for them against Annan.

Alloa and Kelty also able to put pressure on us and Stirling with the outcome.

Panned out pretty much as I expected. 

Keen to see us be clinical if chances come on Tuesday and really get the crowd behind them.

Knowing what's necessary, If Stirling Albion frustrate or fluster us, I fear we're one mistake away from coming a cropper already.

Also keen to see the mindset as it'll be the same next week and I'd like us to show we've got the right attitude.

5 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Players at teams like forest green down south will be getting paid  more than some players at the likes of Livingston never mind league one. Loan signing costs are always difficult to quantify as it depends on how much of the wages they are paying. . Guys on the fringes of playing in the top flight get paid a fortune these days. Logan Chalmers I see has gone back to Ayr.  Now i don't know ayrs wage structure but I doubt they'd be able to afford even half his wage more likely a quarter to a third. The boy Tait will.be on a decent wad at Hibs.

Possibly will pay their top players decent wages but the one who went to Cove came as a youth player from Swansea and barely played for Forest Green.

We signed a player released by an EPL side and I would doubt Dylan Tait or Jackson Longridge would go to Hamilton for much more money than Morrison, Mackie, Donaldson, Lang, Spencer, McGinn amongst others came to us for. 

McGlynn’s claim is that other teams are buying players from higher levels than we are. Just can’t see where he is getting that from to be honest and from what he’s signed and the fact as a club we’re paying around £2.3m/season to run then I’d say the board has given him more than enough to put together a side capable of winning League One. If the majority of that money doesn’t go to McGlynn then our operating costs or costs of sales must be really high. 

Edited by Van_damage

Was his choice to sign players from Kelty and Alloa (which theres absolutely nothing wrong with btw). Not as if the previous strategy of the last few years of signing "proven championship" players had been working.

Said a week or so that Stirling had been a decent watch. Got a txt earlier from a friend who took in last nights cup game, although Aberdeen seemed to be happy in second gear, Albion played some fine play, especially in second half when they had a go. For Tuesday we need to be on it from first ball, as with our application and concentration. 

1 minute ago, Rob1885 said:

Was his choice to sign players from Kelty and Alloa (which theres absolutely nothing wrong with btw). Not as if the previous strategy of the last few years of signing "proven championship" players had been working.

Indeed. Fed up hearing about exorbitant budgets when those that have seemingly had them have spent them far better than we have!

10 hours ago, Mr Grimsdale said:

Did I not read McGinn and Oliver had options and we had no option? Jury out on Nesbitt, agreed. The squad is too small. We have 3 injuries already another two who went off last weekend. In terms of quality I disagree with you. The front 4, Spencer, Lang, Henderson for example would probably play in every other team in the league and you have Yeats developing well. Even Donaldson and Nesbitt are easily good enough when they are on form. Where do you think we dont have the quality? 

Just need to look at the bench. Apart from Allan who else is maybe going to step up and grab a goal or change the game. Lawal perhaps? In terms of numbers the squad is what 20 or so players I wouldn't say thats too small but it's subsidised by having four or five youngsters in it sat on the bench most weeks. 

8 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Possibly will pay their top players decent wages but the one who went to Cove came as a youth player from Swansea and barely played for Forest Green.

We signed a player released by an EPL side and I would doubt Dylan Tait or Jackson Longridge would go to Cove for much more money than Morrison, Mackie, Donaldson, Lang, Spencer, McGinn amongst others came came to us for. 

McGlynn’s claim is that other teams are buying players from higher levels than we are. Just can’t see where he is getting that from to be honest and from what he’s signed and the fact as a club we’re paying around £2.3m/season to run then I’d say the board has given him more than enough to put together a side capable of winning League One. If the majority of that money doesn’t go to McGlynn then our operating costs or costs of sales must be really high. 

Tait's on loan from Hibs. He'll be on a fair whack there. All depends on how much percentage cove are paying.  He'll certainly been on more at Hibs than any of those players you mention are on at us. Mcglynn at no point says Hamilton are buying players from better levels than us. He says they are signing recognised  players better than league one level which they are and so have we. He doesn't say we haven't. He's backing up his claim that just because Dunfermline and Airdrie are away it isn't going to be an easy league by any matter of means which I'm sure we all know is the case.  Hamilton are spending their transfer fee cash to try and get back up and cove are splashing cash from their sugar daddy owners. Hamilton I would think need to go up this season to keep this level of budget as I doubt they will bring in that kind of money every season.

32 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

It will all come out in the wash. We brushed aside Annan after a couple of scares, but they haven’t troubled anyone else either.

We have reverted to type where a draw at a seriously weakened Cove is seen as a good result, and that’s become familiar territory for us.

I fully expect us to beat SA on Tuesday. If we don’t then the pressure will start to rise really quickly. A table showing us 4 or 5 points adrift after 3 games would not be a good look, but as I say, I expect Hamilton’s lead to be back down to 2 points come Tuesday night.

McGlynn will have made a little bit of a rod off his own back if we do drop points to Stirling given his recent chat about budgets. Still fancy us to win though. 

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

If we move Mackay on then that would give us scope for one maybe two loans with a bit of luck. A right back and another impact player with a bit of luck.

As much delight it would bring, the guy is going nowhere. We’ve got a player that knows he’s not a first choice other than injury or suspension, and released as soon as season ends. 

8 minutes ago, Springfield said:

As much delight it would bring, the guy is going nowhere. We’ve got a player that knows he’s not a first choice other than injury or suspension, and released as soon as season ends. 

Agree. Never in a month of Sundays are any club going to pick up McKay’s wage, and a £100 or £200 contribution from anyone interested isn’t going to do us any good.

I think it’s pretty obvious that there’s not another penny piece for any more players (other than McGlynn asking the BoD for more cash), but I think it’s stretching credibility to think he hasn’t been given a good enough budget for L1.

1 minute ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Agree. Never in a month of Sundays are any club going to pick up McKay’s wage, and a £100 or £200 contribution from anyone interested isn’t going to do us any good.

I think it’s pretty obvious that there’s not another penny piece for any more players (other than McGlynn asking the BoD for more cash), but I think it’s stretching credibility to think he hasn’t been given a good enough budget for L1.

We shall see.

41 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Tait's on loan from Hibs. He'll be on a fair whack there. All depends on how much percentage cove are paying.  He'll certainly been on more at Hibs than any of those players you mention are on at us. Mcglynn at no point says Hamilton are buying players from better levels than us. He says they are signing recognised  players better than league one level which they are and so have we. He doesn't say we haven't. He's backing up his claim that just because Dunfermline and Airdrie are away it isn't going to be an easy league by any matter of means which I'm sure we all know is the case.  Hamilton are spending their transfer fee cash to try and get back up and cove are splashing cash from their sugar daddy owners. Hamilton I would think need to go up this season to keep this level of budget as I doubt they will bring in that kind of money every season.

You’re right that he doesn’t compare Cove or Hamilton to us. The way I read it, it just felt like a moan that they have some sort of advantage above us. There will be some tough games but would rather he talked in a more positive light as despite the many banana skins this league can offer I hope we’ll always fancy our chances against  Hamilton or Cove, let alone against the rest of the league. 

41 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

A think a big part of our budget has came from our new owner. If we still had the past board this season there's no chance in hell we would have this level of squad and would probably be aiming for playoffs at best as they really were taking us to oblivion and I wouldn't of been surprised if we would of ended up like Clyde eventually if they stayed. So from an accies point of view it's very good we have a new owner who is willing to spend money to try and get us promoted and I do think we have a good chance of getting promoted.

7 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

You’re right that he doesn’t compare Cove or Hamilton to us. The way I read it, it just felt like a moan that they have some sort of advantage above us. There will be some tough games but would rather he talked in a more positive light as despite the many banana skins this league can offer I hope we’ll always fancy our chances against  Hamilton or Cove, let alone against the rest of the league. 

It sounded as someone else said he was kinda getting excuses in early, when he really doesn't have any left.. He's had as good a budget as anyone else last season in particular and this season. He should be of the mindset let other sides worry about us rather than the other way about. 

Well tonight, there’s certainly no drama, and no crisis.

What there is for sure is a bit of tension. Five points behind with a game in hand is no big deal, but it’s really important that we don’t end up falling four or more points behind…….that’s when wheels tend to part company with wagons.

We need to find momentum, and momentum only comes from winning consecutive games, and we haven’t been masters of that for a long time.

Was down at the Stadium today with my dad and brother.  I know we all have our gripes about the playing side, but the club really do fan engagement very well.  We spent 30 minutes or so just wandering round looking at all the pics on the walls.

we may be languishing in League 1, but I wouldn’t swap promotion for the soul of the club.

1 hour ago, ebobsboy said:

It sounded as someone else said he was kinda getting excuses in early, when he really doesn't have any left.. He's had as good a budget as anyone else last season in particular and this season. He should be of the mindset let other sides worry about us rather than the other way about. 

This is one of my main gripes with McGlynn, he seems to worry about other sides more and sets us up constantly first and foremost not to lose. I’d much rather have a manager with a “f**k you” attitude, you worry about us cos we are going to come out and go after you right from the first whistle, especially at TFS.

Edited by Harry Kinnear