The Falkirk FC Thread

8 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

John Hughes is the best centre half we have ever had, and I'd happily fight anyone who says otherwise. Absolute behemoth in a Falkirk top and one of my all time favourite players for us. Gave absolutely everything for the badge. 

Let’s not forget, as great as he was, he did spend a lot of time in midfield for us (and of course, a bit upfront). This added to his long injury lay-offs means I can’t quite put him in the Falkirk great category for central halves. I would guess in the 5 years he was there, in all Falkirk games played, he was used approximately 25% as centre half (whether through injury, suspension or tactics).

19 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

I'd go for Davie Weir but my MMA training is behind schedule so I won't scrap you about it 😉

Gary Gillespie was Falkirk captain at the age of 17  and won three league titles and the European cup with Liverpool  in  which takes a lot of beating.

16 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Let’s not forget, as great as he was, he did spend a lot of time in midfield for us (and of course, a bit upfront). This added to his long injury lay-offs means I can’t quite put him in the Falkirk great category for central halves. I would guess in the 5 years he was there, in all Falkirk games played, he was used approximately 25% as centre half (whether through injury, suspension or tactics).

Right you, Plenty of tar in a car park to roll about in. Bring yer maw

28 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

He only really played midfield in his first season at the club from them on he was predominantly a centrehalf. So approx 30 games in midfield and over 200 as centrehalf. Not sure where your getting the 25 percent from

Edited by Shodwall cat

6 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

He only really played midfield in his first season at the club from them on he was predominantly a centrehalf.

This is not true, I can assure you. 91/92 was his big centre half season, the following 3 seasons were a mixed bag of centre half, midfield, injury and suspension.

45 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

He only really played midfield in his first season at the club from them on he was predominantly a centrehalf. So approx 30 games in midfield and over 200 as centrehalf. Not sure where your getting the 25 percent from

Yep. He started as a striker, moved back into midfield which did not last long at all and then to CB where he stayed. I would put it as more like 15 to 20 games not at CB.

55 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Okay, here we go. In 92/93 he played 16 league games, 3 of which were in midfield as McLaughlin and Duffy were the centre half pairing at that point (the season Hughes, McLaughlin and Baptie had SIX long injury lay-offs between them). 

93/94 he played 28 (1) out of 44 (another long injury lay-off at the start of the season) When he came  back the centre half pairing was McLaughlin and Weir, with Duffy at right back so at this point he was put into midfield for about 12-14 games. He was eventually put into centre half for the run-in for that title-winning season. 

94/95 he pretty much missed the first half of the season, had to come off the bench a few times, a little bit at full-back before, again, reclaiming his place at centre half  in the run-in.