The get fit, stay fit thread

What's that got to do with the DVD though? What you're saying applies to almost everything...Insanity, a set of dumb-bells, a pair of trainers, a gym membership....none of them help you change your body and maintain it unless you use them. "They are just the means to carry out the change, the real change has to come from within"... #boom. #youcanusethat

If you lose weight through running, then once you achieve your goals you never put your trainers on again, you won't maintain the change. If you gain muscle mass in the gym and then stop going when you reach your goal, you won't maintain the change. If you use insanity to change your body and then go back to sitting on the couch once you achieve your goals, then guess what....

The DVD's help you get where you should be, and then a whole host of activities/sports are open to you in order to maintain the change...which may not have been possible previously. The girl at your work isn't putting weight on because Insanity is finished, she's putting weight on because she's lazy and tried to change her body rather than her mind-set.

Edited by Al B

I still don't get your point? Whats the problem with keeping doing the workouts 3 or 4 times a week to maintain your fitness level? I dont see how its any different to going to the gym.

I refer you to 'exhibit A' below m'lud -

Personally, i think dvds like that are a waste of time. It is good for encouraging people to lose weight and they will by doong it. However, what happens at the end of it? Do you go back to the start? Do you just keep doing the last dvd constantly?

My issue is that, although it is good for getting people, who may not usually be, active, at the end of the dvd they may lose interest as there is nothing to follow it up. So they lose all this weight by doing insanity and then put it back on when they dvd finishes and there is nothing to keep them motivated. It is the same with all these celebrities who lose weight. They then put a dvd out, which is great. But then they put it all back once it is over.

There is a girl in my work i can relate this to. She was going to insanity every lunch and losing weight. Dvd has finished and now she has became lazy and doesnt really go

No further questions, your honour.

What's that got to do with the DVD though? What you're saying applies to almost everything...Insanity, a set of dumb-bells, a pair of trainers, a gym membership....none of them help you change your body and maintain it unless you use them. "They are just the means to carry out the change, the real change has to come from within"... #boom. #youcanusethat

If you lose weight through running, then once you achieve your goals you never put your trainers on again, you won't maintain the change. If you gain muscle mass in the gym and then stop going when you reach your goal, you won't maintain the change. If you use insanity to change your body and then go back to sitting on the couch once you achieve your goals, then guess what....

The DVD's help you get where you should be, and then a whole host of activities/sports are open to you in order to maintain the change...which may not have been possible previously. The girl at your work isn't putting weight on because Insanity is finished, she's putting weight on because she's lazy and tried to change her body rather than her mind-set.

Nae offence, but i cant be arsed writing out a long winded explanation again. My previous point still stands.

I shall carry on lifting, without using a fad dvd, and i shall carry being an absolute babe

Nae offence, but as much as i've never used a DVD in my life, your previous point is still balls.

Not particularly. My point was saying that, whilst these DVDs are good at getting people off their arses initially, you are better off going to the gym consistently. What happens at the end of Insanity? Do you start again? Or do you keep doing the last workout over and over, eventually reaching a plateau?

So people will be enticed to do Insanity, lose weight by doing so (good for them) but then when they finish and there is nothing to keep them motivated then they lose interest and put their initial weight back on.

Eventually a new fad DVD will come along the process will repeat. I am not really slagging DVD's like insanity, as such, as it is better than nothing.

Do you disagree with any of that?

Aufc is spot on. It's what #mhak and I have being saying for pages and pages on this thread. These DVD are fads, designed to suck folk in with by employing some ripped Adonis to advertise them. Yes, they're good for getting fat and/or lazy people active, but there's no continuation plan afterwards, other than repeating the last exercise until the day you die.

It promotes short term goals, which is counter-productive in living a healthy lifestyle. it's the exercise equivalent of a food diet. Eat well for 2 weeks, lose a stone, then put it back on again. Yo-Yo dieting if you like.

Your better off going online, teaching yourself about nutrition and fitness, so that you can plan your own workouts and meals. I've said it a few times on this thread; Google the Insanity Workout, it gets ripped to shreds by fitness professionals, bodybuilders and PT's alike.

Not particularly. My point was saying that, whilst these DVDs are good at getting people off their arses initially, you are better off going to the gym consistently. What happens at the end of Insanity? Do you start again? Or do you keep doing the last workout over and over, eventually reaching a plateau?

So people will be enticed to do Insanity, lose weight by doing so (good for them) but then when they finish and there is nothing to keep them motivated then they lose interest and put their initial weight back on.

Eventually a new fad DVD will come along the process will repeat. I am not really slagging DVD's like insanity, as such, as it is better than nothing.

Do you disagree with any of that?

Not entirely, but then you said a lot there which you didn't say previously. Of course your better off going to the gym consistently, but how many people go from doing nothing...straight to going to the gym consistently?? Things like Insanity are a good way to bridge that gap for people who have no idea what they are doing, and introduce them to the right mentality, and the differences that can be achieved.

You're also replying earlier in the thread to someone who it has successfully worked for, who's life it has changed in a long term capacity...telling him it doesn't work.

In a strange way we're all actually agreeing, to be fair. My point is that there has to be an understanding that something like Insanity is a starting point, the self-motivation has to be there to maintain the change in other ways using other methods, whether that be joining a gym, taking up running/cycling/whatever, or doing part of the programme again 2 or 3 times a week (which I gather it does suggest you do). Hence my example of the girl at your work who changed her body but not her mentality.

Edited by Al B

The gym round from the corner from my office was doing the insanity classes. It was constantly fully booked. Cant remember what he was charging but would have made him a lot of money for f**k all effort. He does not even need to take the class. Sticks on the dvd and away you go.

Goos business move

Not entirely, but then you said a lot there which you didn't say previously.

You're also replying earlier in the thread to someone who it has successfully worked for, who's life it has changed in a long term capacity...telling him it doesn't work.

In a strange way we're all actually agreeing, to be fair. My point is that there has to be an understanding that something like Insanity is a starting point, the self-motivation has to be there to maintain the change in other ways using other methods, whether that be joining a gym, taking up running/cycling/whatever, or doing part of the programme again 2 or 3 times a week (which I gather it does suggest you do). Hence my example of the girl at your work who changed her body but not her mentality.

Yeah i think we are agreeing here, in a round about way. TheScarf has covered it pretty well above

The only issue is that, for most people that do these dvds, they dont have yhe motivation/confidence to go into a gym so doing something like that is ideal. But then the dvd finishes and they have nothing. That is, unless they develop confidence through doing it and keep exercising.

However, i reckon the majority of people fall away after it and put the weight back on. I may be completely wrong.

I started doing DDP yoga (mix of yoga and bodyweight based stuff) about five weeks ago in addition to my gym work and running. Found it to be quite useful as the harder workouts are pretty tough and my already pretty good balance and suppleness have improved by a fair amount already. It has also helped my running as I am already faster than pre injury (was out for six months with severe groin strain)

Don't think it will get results by itself, but it is a useful addon to an existing routine.

That's me went from 15st 1/2lb to 12st 12.5lbs since febuary. Delighted with that, and well on course to reach my target weight of 11st by November. Being doing a lot of bike, treadmill, rowing machine and cross-trainer work at the gym, which has helped a great deal.

Right guys. Needing to get fit for football so here's the details.

I'm 5ft9 and I weight 174.6 pounds. I know this is verging on the top end of normal weight for my height. I have a relatively flat stomach with just a wee bit of chub hanging there.

I want to lose enough weight to be in the middle of my supposed weight range so.. 165 pounds.

I just jogged 8 miles today and plan to do so everyday, and I've eaten weetabix mixed with banana and full fat milk, with a kiwi after the jog.

For dinner I'm going to have pasta with pesto.

I'm going to try and make this a routine.

If i keep this relatively simple routine going, should I be able to lose weight, and does it sound like a decent routine?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

I'm 5ft9 and I weight 174.6 pounds. I know this is verging on the top end of normal weight for my height. I have a relatively flat stomach with just a wee bit of chub hanging there.

I want to lose enough weight to be in the middle of my supposed weight range so.. 165 pounds.

I just jogged 8 miles today and plan to do so everyday, and I've eaten weetabix mixed with banana and full fat milk, with a kiwi after the jog.

If i keep this relatively simple routine going, should I be able to lose weight, and does it sound like a decent routine?

Thanks in advance.

Cut your hair

Cut your hair

Keep this shite for the other parts of the forum, need some serious answers here, and I presume by the amount you post you should know some stuff so some advice would be appreciated.

For the record, if you want to lose weight then you are better doing HIIT training or tabata training. Do a wee warm up and then sprint for a period then jog for a period. Repeat this 8-10 times. Also, you should also look to do some resistance training as this is also good for #hugegainz

mhak is probably better for the diet side of things. But you diet should be balanced. I would not be bashing pasta every night. You should have lots of protein in your diet. I am not a huge fan of breakfast cereals. I stick to fruit and full fat yoghurt. Anyways, i will leave the detailed park to old mhak attack

Thanks in advance.

I'm not a big fan of jogging as a weight loss strategy, especially for people verging on being overweight, basically because it puts a lot of stress on the knees. If you're planning on doing mainly cardio, imo you'd be better off cycling or swimming. Would also recommend mixing up steady state with high intensity interval training (sprints, circuits etc). The best form of cardio will be something you enjoy, so in your case that'll be football. Resistance training should also be a part of your routine if you're interested in looking good.

Weight loss is about the energy balance, ie calories in vs calories out, rather than the foods you eat per se, meal timing and frequency or whatever else. Try to just make healthier choices rather than getting caught up in that stuff. For people just starting out I don't think it's a good idea to get too caught up in calorie counting, but do be aware of the content of foods you eat. Try to eat plenty of fruit and veg (especially veg) and up your protein intake a bit, although you don't have to obsess over protein as much as people think. There's a tendency towards carbophobia in the media at the moment but there's no need to fear carbs, especially when you're doing a lot of cardio. Similarly, don't fear dietary fat; it's an essential nutrient. Calories in vs. calories out will determine weight gain or loss. Within reason there are no 'clean' or 'dirty' foods, and you don't need to cut out anything you enjoy completely. Eat a slice of cake but not the whole thing, eat a light dinner if you've eaten out at lunchtime...you get the idea.

I can give more detailed advice, but I think it's better for people to start slowly than dive in at the deep end. Try to make one small change to your diet a week rather than attempting a massive overhaul. Good luck.

While I'm here...oh, Philpy. In a good way; that's great progress. Congratulations.

I'm not a big fan of jogging as a weight loss strategy, especially for people verging on being overweight, basically because it puts a lot of stress on the knees. If you're planning on doing mainly cardio, imo you'd be better off cycling or swimming. Would also recommend mixing up steady state with high intensity interval training (sprints, circuits etc). The best form of cardio will be something you enjoy, so in your case that'll be football. Resistance training should also be a part of your routine if you're interested in looking good.

Weight loss is about the energy balance, ie calories in vs calories out, rather than the foods you eat per se, meal timing and frequency or whatever else. Try to just make healthier choices rather than getting caught up in that stuff. For people just starting out I don't think it's a good idea to get too caught up in calorie counting, but do be aware of the content of foods you eat. Try to eat plenty of fruit and veg (especially veg) and up your protein intake a bit, although you don't have to obsess over protein as much as people think. There's a tendency towards carbophobia in the media at the moment but there's no need to fear carbs, especially when you're doing a lot of cardio. Similarly, don't fear dietary fat; it's an essential nutrient. Calories in vs. calories out will determine weight gain or loss. Within reason there are no 'clean' or 'dirty' foods, and you don't need to cut out anything you enjoy completely. Eat a slice of cake but not the whole thing, eat a light dinner if you've eaten out at lunchtime...you get the idea.

I can give more detailed advice, but I think it's better for people to start slowly than dive in at the deep end. Try to make one small change to your diet a week rather than attempting a massive overhaul. Good luck.

While I'm here...oh, Philpy. In a good way; that's great progress. Congratulations.

The problem is I snack a lot. So I'm going to cut out the crisps etc. I cut out fizzy soft drinks a while back, and only drink lemonade if I'm having a gin which is not all that often.

Like I've said, I had weetabix with banana before the jog, came back, had a kiwi and a banana then pasta with basil pesto. I think that's quite decent.

I do eat a decent amount of meat : I love chicken and beef etc. What sort of meat dishes are good and relatively easy to make?