Au Revoir Arsene?

RandomGuy

Big decisions   

293 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding FA cups being meaningless compared to Champions League qualification - wouldn't a possible solution be to give the winner a Champions League spot?

I know you may end up with the mental situation of a Championship club in the Champions League at the expense of, say, Arsenal, but it'd give a lot more value to the trophy. And tbh the bigger clubs would take it a lot more seriously if they knew it meant guaranteed CL football rather than scrapping for 4th so probably end up winning it/putting out far stronger teams/trying a lot harder anyway.

Not sure how you'd work it if the FA Cup winner finished in a Champs League spot in the league season anyway - Manchester Utd destroying, say, Cardiff in a final but Cardiff still getting a spot by virtue of being runners up and Utd finishing in champions league spots wouldn't really be great...

Arsenal just look happy to finish top 4 these days, they don't even challange for the league. They have been standing still for the last few years, and with the quality of players coming in, i can only see them going backwards.

There are two trophys in English football that matter. 1.The Premiership 2.Champions League qualification, the rest are meaningless unless your a diddy club like Stoke or Blackburn etc.....

Arsenal are the best run club in England IMO and have over the past few years being building for the future, Wegner needs to bring in better players than he has and with the boards backing I think he will next year.

P.S. he is still a c%nt :P

Aye, trophies don't matter at all. That's why they never manage to sell out Wembley for these non-events and why the crowds are so shit for the FA Cup games (60,000 at the Arsenal v Blackburn game).

Arsenal are a diddy club these days. Just a year ago they were humping Blackburn 7-1, what a difference a year makes. Arsenal have no chance or winning the Premiership any time soon and as far as i'm aware they don't hand out trophies for coming 4th and qualifying for the Champions League. Even European diddy teams like Celtic can qualify for the Champions League, so it's no great achievement, especially for a club with the resources Arsenal has. No trophies at Arsenal since 2005 would see most other managers getting the boot. Wenger leads a charmed life, seen as he's been a loser since 2005. His last achievement was getting Arsenal to the Champions League final in 2006, but again, they didn't win.

Regarding FA cups being meaningless compared to Champions League qualification - wouldn't a possible solution be to give the winner a Champions League spot?

I know you may end up with the mental situation of a Championship club in the Champions League at the expense of, say, Arsenal, but it'd give a lot more value to the trophy. And tbh the bigger clubs would take it a lot more seriously if they knew it meant guaranteed CL football rather than scrapping for 4th so probably end up winning it/putting out far stronger teams/trying a lot harder anyway.

Not sure how you'd work it if the FA Cup winner finished in a Champs League spot in the league season anyway - Manchester Utd destroying, say, Cardiff in a final but Cardiff still getting a spot by virtue of being runners up and Utd finishing in champions league spots wouldn't really be great...

Would never happen. UEFA wouldn't want a potential diddy team as one of the English clubs in the CL at the expense of a glamour club like Arsenal or Chelsea plus the Premier League and Sky wouldn't want any situation where the actual Premier League loses a spot, even if it would be to another English team.

I know you may end up with the mental situation of a Championship club in the Champions League at the expense of, say, Arsenal, but it'd give a lot more value to the trophy.

This is where the idea falls down: nobody cares about giving value to the trophy.

Aye, trophies don't matter at all. That's why they never manage to sell out Wembley for these non-events and why the crowds are so shit for the FA Cup games (60,000 at the Arsenal v Blackburn game).

Arsenal are a diddy club these days. Just a year ago they were humping Blackburn 7-1, what a difference a year makes. Arsenal have no chance or winning the Premiership any time soon and as far as i'm aware they don't hand out trophies for coming 4th and qualifying for the Champions League. Even European diddy teams like Celtic can qualify for the Champions League, so it's no great achievement, especially for a club with the resources Arsenal has. No trophies at Arsenal since 2005 would see most other managers getting the boot. Wenger leads a charmed life, seen as he's been a loser since 2005. His last achievement was getting Arsenal to the Champions League final in 2006, but again, they didn't win.

Of course they don't win anything for coming 4th. However, they will be delighted if they do finish 4th and qualify for the CL. They don't care about the FA cup. Obviously if they get to the final then it will sell out. Arsenal probably feel they are in a good position when the financial fair play rules come into play, which is probably true.

Being a total non-entity and then NOT finishing fourth would be a complete horror show for a club like Arsenal. Which could well happen this season. What then? We keep hearing about them not caring about anything other than top four. Cool. So what happens when a club who clearly spends enough to take the spot doesn't get it?

Of course they don't win anything for coming 4th. However, they will be delighted if they do finish 4th and qualify for the CL. They don't care about the FA cup. Obviously if they get to the final then it will sell out. Arsenal probably feel they are in a good position when the financial fair play rules come into play, which is probably true.

Who doesn't care about the FA Cup? the club, the manager, the fans, all of them?

I don't believe for a moment the fans don't care about the FA cup. They won't win the CL.

Being a total non-entity and then NOT finishing fourth would be a complete horror show for a club like Arsenal. Which could well happen this season. What then? We keep hearing about them not caring about anything other than top four. Cool. So what happens when a club who clearly spends enough to take the spot doesn't get it?

They would need to start chucking a bit of money at decent players to get them to come. Even then, it would be doubtful they could attract the top end players without the lure of the CL.

Who doesn't care about the FA Cup? the club, the manager, the fans, all of them?

I don't believe for a moment the fans don't care about the FA cup. They won't win the CL.

I agree with you. I was more meaning the men upstairs and probably Wenger. Although, as the season goes on, they may regret fielding a weakened team.

finishing 4th and qualifying for the champions league attracts the top players lul wut actually winning trophys and money do :lol: this pish about finishing 4th is as good as a trophy these days is just a silly myth. Aye I'm sure the fans are thrilled at the prospect of being pumped out of europe by far superior teams instead of picking up silverware. also why is it apparantly impossible to compete for a trophy and finish 4th at the same time :lol:

finishing 4th and qualifying for the champions league attracts the top players lul wut actually winning trophys and money do :lol: this pish about finishing 4th is as good as a trophy these days is just a silly myth. Aye I'm sure the fans are thrilled at the prospect of being pumped out of europe by far superior teams instead of picking up silverware. also why is it apparantly impossible to compete for a trophy and finish 4th at the same time :lol:

The fa cup happened to fall just before the champions league game so obviously he wanted to rest players. It backfired as they are out of the fa cup and almost certainly out the chumps league. The only way they can remotely save this season is by finishing 4th.

Arsenal will justify their position as a top 4 side next Sunday when they beat the filth of Tottenham Hotspur.

Lukas Podolski 'til I die <3

Chelsea play Man City tomorrow. Hopefully Chelsea can win this one or even a draw, by next weekend Arsenal should be just about in 2nd.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived