Au Revoir Arsene?

RandomGuy

Big decisions   

293 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If spurs finished 4th and celebrated, that would be understandable. but Arsenal? it shows how backwards they have gone

They still achieved something which was important and which looked unlikely two or three months ago. Players want to play on the biggest stage possible, and they just achieved that.

Imagine that Celtic lost their first 15 games of next season, but then manage to string a run together and nicked the final European spot on the last day. It would have been a disappointing season overall, but you'd still celebrate that final result.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If spurs finished 4th and celebrated, that would be understandable. but Arsenal? it shows how backwards they have gone

It's quite funny how it just seems likemore of an achievement when you are terrible for half a season and come with a great run at the end, rather than consistently hover around 4th all season and cling on at the end.

Yep and with the debt reduced even further, the way things are going I expect them to add some more players and push on in the summer.

This has been said for about the past 3 seasons. Wenger's stubbornness is the reason they are treading water. Why would he make a splash this summer and not last summer, or the one before that?

Finishing top 4 every season is some achievement, mind. I just think in the past 4/5 years his refusal to go for ANY big transfers has cost them.

This has been said for about the past 3 seasons. Wenger's stubbornness is the reason they are treading water. Why would he make a splash this summer and not last summer, or the one before that?

Finishing top 4 every season is some achievement, mind. I just think in the past 4/5 years his refusal to go for ANY big transfers has cost them.

"His refusal to go for ANY big transfers"?

Last season he brought in Poldolski, Giroud, and Cazorla, all of whom were excellent. And what has changed this season is that they have a new sponsorship deal, their stadium debt is right down, and for the first time, they are going into a season and NOT having to worry about whether their best player will leave.

Last season was the first time in a few years that Arsenal did their business like they used to, going in early, spending decent money, and bringing in good players. It marked the end of Arsenal buying only "prospects", and for me marked a huge turning point. If they do the same this summer, then they are in an excellent place. They have a good English/Welsh core to their team, a sprinkling of good players, and a couple more is all they need.

I mean remember when people mocked their fragile defence? Well they have one of the best defences (second best) in the league. How will they cope without RvP? Well they scored a similar number of goals and as a team actually looked a lot more balanced. Make no mistake, I think this season was a step forward, not just treading water.

"His refusal to go for ANY big transfers"?

Last season he brought in Poldolski, Giroud, and Cazorla, all of whom were excellent.

Were they? Cazorla has been terrific, but the other two haven't in my view. I think they both need to step up next season. Which they may well do - second season and all that.

Arsenal are pretty poor for supposed top level operators in the premiership, the goalkeeper is mince, arteta is too lightweight for central mid, walcott will throw the toys out the pram when he doesnt start as centre forward. To be honest they have been going downhill for a couple of seasons now so maybe its time for a change of manager/new outlook. Can see spurs finishing above them for a champions league spot next season

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Arsenal are pretty poor for supposed top level operators in the premiership, the goalkeeper is mince, arteta is too lightweight for central mid, walcott will throw the toys out the pram when he doesnt start as centre forward. To be honest they have been going downhill for a couple of seasons now so maybe its time for a change of manager/new outlook. Can see spurs finishing above them for a champions league spot next season

Down hill you say? They have not finished outside the top 4 for about 16 years or something.

I honestly don't know how Arsenal have snuck into that position in the table. Looking back at their results it's all 1-0's and other victories scraped. They can't beat any other team in the top six

Spurs have done the same though, and usually in the last 5 minutes of a game.

Their last 10 PL games have been :-

1-0 win

2-1 win

2-2 draw

1-0 win

2-2 draw

3-1 win

2-2 draw

2-1 win

1-0 defeat

3-2 defeat

During the same period, Arsenal's results have been :-

1-0 win

4-1 win

1-0 win

1-1 draw

1-0 win

0-0 draw

3-1 win

2-1 win

4-1 win

2-0 win

During those 10 games, Spurs have scored 8 goals in the last 10 minutes. All of which have gained them points.

The reason Arsenal are 4th is that they have consistently got results over the course of the season. I dont think anyone can say they were lucky.

Arteta has been one of Arsenal's best players this season.

You're not lucky to be where you are after 38 games. That's enough games to take luck out of the equation.

Doesn't make me feel any better to see any team celebrate money over trophies, but that's just how it is at Arsenal, and as for the supporters who back it? I suppose you get the success you deserve. And as far as I'm concerned, Arsenal have had f**k all success in the last few years.

It's not about "celebrating money over trophies" though, is it? Arsenal cannot compete with Chelsea or Man City financially, and Man Utd also have a financial advantage over them. So realistically all they can aim for is to qualify for the Champions League or win one of the cups. Which is going to benefit the club more in the long-term?

It's not the League Position, or the money they're celebrating though is it? It's the fact they'll be playing in the elite competition in world football again next season, whilst also pipping their biggest rivals to that exact thing.

4th and money has nothing to do with it, it's the fact they're in the Champions League (or should be after a play-off) that they're celebrating.

Aye, it's similar to a side like say, England, celebrating qualifing for the World Cup - to be expected but you still don;t shrug your shoulders in the last game of the qualifiers.

Yeah, especially if they clinched qualification by winning the last game.

People would probably be giving them shit if they hadn't celebrated winning the game and getting CL qualification so they can't win!

17 years in a row wenger has taken arsenal into the qualifiers and no doubt it will be 17 in a row of group stage qualifications

Cant really search for it while in work but i wonder how many times they have made it to last 16

It's only 16 years in a row for Wenger.

They failed to get out of the group stage in his first 2 attempts, but have managed it 13 times in a row since then.

Archived