Au Revoir Arsene?

RandomGuy

Big decisions   

293 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Only difference with this year is that I actually thought Wenger would splash some cash, as the board have come out and said there's £70 Million to spend.

Thing is though, there's not really a difference in that regard - over the last few years, whilst there's always been a bit of debate as to how not qualifying for the CL would be disastrous etc, the Arsenal moneymen have always said that if there was a player that Wenger wanted, or needed, then the funds were there to buy. So the whole "we've money now, why don't we spend" is a bit of a misnomer - it's always been there, it's just that there is far more of it now.

I honestly can't see him not buying before the window shuts.

EDIT - rumours abound that there's a bid going in for Cabaye.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cabaye is NOT the player Arsenal need. If Wenger thinks another central midfielder is what Arsenal have to get then all hope is gone.

Evening Standard saying that they are making a joint bid for Michu and Williams at Swansea. £35m

Michu? Aye. Williams? Naw.

Early days, but I think this could be the best Premiership season for many years.

Can't pick who will win the title between 3 teams, and with Liverpool much improved it's a geniune battle between them, Arsenal and Spurs for the 4th/5th positions.

Really enjoyed the first weekend.

If Wenger thinks Cabaye, as good a player as he is, is the solution to Arsenal's problems, he'd probably be as well leaving. I've long been of the opinion that Wenger should have left a few years ago - he's lingering about and is in danger of tarnishing his reputation, if he hasn't already done so. He has failed to rectify glaring deficiencies in his team for a number of years and it's no surprise that these same short-falls are evident as early as the first game of the season. I actually thought Pellegrini would have been an ideal replacement but they've obviously missed the boat on that one.

If they go out to Fenerbahce which is very possible, their season is as good as over, in my opinion.

Looks like they'll be pretty busy over the next 10 days or so in the transfer market (Di Maria & Benzema would be excellent signings). Add in their impressive 3-0 victory last night and the fact they'll very very very likely be in the Champions League proper (AGAIN) and I'd imagine the gloom around the Emirates will be slightly lifted this morning.

I'd be shocked if Madrid sold Benzema, they don't exactly have a lot of options up front.

Also, why would he go to Arsenal? They're shit

The story is that they're selling Benzema and Di Maria and putting the funds towards Bale and Suarez.

I'd assume he'd go to Arsenal because aside from the fact they have one of the best managers in the modern history of football (who also happens to be French) he's get a game just about every week and would be playing Champions League football. Doesn't seem shit to me.

Wenger is one of, if not the, most influential managers in premeirship history.

Ferguson is surely the most influential? Wenger definitely is one of the most influential managers of the Premier League though. His Arsenal teams from the late 90s and early 2000s were fantastic and it seems inevitable now that when he does leave Arsenal, all that will be talked about is the 8 (and counting) trophieless years, with almost next to no focus on achievements like his "Invincibles" squad when they won the league in 2004.

Even in these past few years, to have kept Arsenal in the top 4 has been remarkable considering the amount of money Chelsea and then City have spunked away. Arsenal's record transfer fee still stands at £15M for Arshavin too. Wenger's critics also tend to forget that he's taken them to a Champions League final in those years too.

People sneer at Wenger being happy to keep in amongst the top 4 but look how easily Liverpool slipped down the food chain in the years since they finished 2nd.

It was frankly depressing earlier this week when the Arsenal supporter's trust came out and made that statement demanding Wenger's contract talks be put on hold and that it was "inappropriate" for them to have even begun. Although, given what Arsenal charge their fans they are definitely entitled to have a moan.

Wenger's not perfect, he clearly isn't happy with the way modern day transfer fees are going (there aren't enough people like him in football in this regard unfortunately). I don't think his heart was really in the Suarez deal and if he and Arsenal do end up spending big money on the likes of Benzema or Di Maria (I'll be pleasantly surprised if they got either tbh) as is being currently rumoured, then it'll only be because they've been backed into a corner after spouting off in the summer about how they'll spend big money.

Ferguson is surely the most influential? Wenger definitely is one of the most influential managers of the Premier League though. His Arsenal teams from the late 90s and early 200s were fantastic and it seems inevitable now that when he does leave Arsenal, all that will be talked about is the 8 (and counting) trophieless years, with almost next to no focus on achievements like his "Invincibles" squad when they won the league in 2004.

Arguable. Wenger's influenece on player diets and lifestyles, his introduction of sports science, and his youth development policies were unlike anything that British football had ever seen before, and the style of football he implemented and then evolved was certainly before its time as well. Arsene Wenger changed the English Premier League, and changed it for the better, and continues to do so with his stringent determination to work within the confines of a budget and not place in his club in debt, which destroyed the likes of Portsmouth and Leeds as major forces in English football.

There's also no way the successes and revolution he brought to the Premiership will be forgotten or not the main focus of discussion. When people look back in hindsight on the last 8 years, I'd imagine there'll be considerably more "actually, he did a bloody good job keeping them competitive and in the Champions League every year whilst spending a fraction of his rivals" views expressed than there will be "they were shite, didn't even win a trophy", especially as the league and FA cups lose more and more prestige as the years go by.

If they sign Benzema & Di Maria (as is being widely reported) and one of Cabaye or Kondogbia, they'll be in a pretty good position, although I'd suggest a 4th choice centre half is also required as cover for Koscielny, Mertesacker and Vermaelen.

Archived