Au Revoir Arsene?

RandomGuy

Big decisions   

293 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's only 16 years in a row for Wenger.

They failed to get out of the group stage in his first 2 attempts, but have managed it 13 times in a row since then.

sky said it was 17 for him lol, it is 16 though you are right mate

some achievement in regards to the last 16 qualification though

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arsenal are pretty poor for supposed top level operators in the premiership, the goalkeeper is mince, arteta is too lightweight for central mid, walcott will throw the toys out the pram when he doesnt start as centre forward. To be honest they have been going downhill for a couple of seasons now so maybe its time for a change of manager/new outlook. Can see spurs finishing above them for a champions league spot next season

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

:lol::lol::lol: Christ, how many years have people been saying that now ?

Still makes me chuckle.

I honestly don't know how Arsenal have snuck into that position in the table. Looking back at their results it's all 1-0's and other victories scraped. They can't beat any other team in the top six

Cos they got more points than 16 other teams over the course of the season.

That's how it works.

Big summer for Arsenal. If they can avoid a plague of injuries at the start of the season, something which has happened two years in a row, and they sign a few players in key positions they might just have a pop at the PL/CL next season.

Of the side that started yesterday, if they could replace Ramsey and Podolski with established new players they'd be well on course. Podolski and Giroud haven't been astounding but they've come out with a solid performance in their first season - something the likes of Adebayor, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Chamakh, Nasri, Park, Eduardo et all either took time to do or didn't do it at all. Arsenal should be signing established internationalists and it seems with the success of Mertesacker, Cazorla etc Wenger is waking upto this.

"His refusal to go for ANY big transfers"?

Last season he brought in Poldolski, Giroud, and Cazorla, all of whom were excellent. And what has changed this season is that they have a new sponsorship deal, their stadium debt is right down, and for the first time, they are going into a season and NOT having to worry about whether their best player will leave.

Last season was the first time in a few years that Arsenal did their business like they used to, going in early, spending decent money, and bringing in good players. It marked the end of Arsenal buying only "prospects", and for me marked a huge turning point. If they do the same this summer, then they are in an excellent place. They have a good English/Welsh core to their team, a sprinkling of good players, and a couple more is all they need.

I mean remember when people mocked their fragile defence? Well they have one of the best defences (second best) in the league. How will they cope without RvP? Well they scored a similar number of goals and as a team actually looked a lot more balanced. Make no mistake, I think this season was a step forward, not just treading water.

Podolski and Giroud are good not great club players.

Cazorla to be fair I will give you.

Still an overwhelming reluctance to buy big. Laudable for the most part the way he wants to develop people, but not replacing key players quickly has hurt them a good few times.

Maybe he has learned his lesson and perhaps as you say last season marked a turning point, I'm not convinced though.

Koscielny and Metersacker had terrific seasons, particularly towards the end of the campaign.

Remember when they were both criticised heavily on this forum? LOL. A lot of humble pie being eaten at the moment.

Mertesacker's alright but when you consider that Varane moved for a similar sum...

Vermaelen is poor, Koscielny has always been miles better than him.

Giroud is a great player. 15+ goals for him next season.

Arsenal will do well next season. Possibly even seriously challenge for the title if they(unlikley) signed someone like Rooney or Fabregas.

Koscielny and Metersacker had terrific seasons, particularly towards the end of the campaign.

Remember when they were both criticised heavily on this forum? LOL. A lot of humble pie being

eaten at the moment.

Yup pretty amusing I wonder if the media will admit they were wrong too.

same i like giroud's style of play, he always seems available for a pass and is capable of both competing in the air or on the ground, imo he'd have got a few more goals if arsenal were a bit more direct, giroud makes excellent runs or movement in the box only to see arsenal take that one pass too many

if arsenal can have rosicky fit for a full season (stop sniggering back there) and get a proper defensive right back as sagna is a bombscare waiting to happen every game they'd have a damn good chance of at least looking at the top 2 instead of watching over their shoulders at 5th

Yup pretty amusing I wonder if the media will admit they were wrong too.

mertesackers individual mistakes give the media their ammunition, even though he hasnt cost a goal since the spurs game back in march, he has been impressive recently and a lot of that is down to arsenals midfield being better balanced imo

with wilshire out, arteta sits slightly deeper i feel and gives the back line that extra bit of protection meaning they can stay in shape instead of being dragged about by the opposition

My opinion is arteta is too lightweight to play the holding role in arsenals midfield. They need a digger in there to stop teams swamping them

In that case, we can ignore your opinion for ever. Thanks for coming.

Mertesacker's alright but when you consider that Varane moved for a similar sum...

Vermaelen is poor, Koscielny has always been miles better than him.

Varane is a class act, but when he was signed by Real he was very, very young and raw. Arsenal needed an established, experienced centre back at the time, not another potentially talented player. Real could afford to pay decent money on a potential star as well, Arsenal couldn't and needed an established 'finished article' and - after a bedding in period - have got one.

Can see the Mertesacker and Koscielny partnership being Arsenal's centre back pairing for a very long time.

ETA :

It's important to note that Giroud is also a total babe.

large_6b80bee3-47ad-4329-b79f-6716065a4e

:wub:

Absolute dreamboat :wub:

Koscienly was terrific last season too. Only when Vermaelen came back in and he was forced to the right-hand side of the CB pairing did his form dip. He's got a little bit of the Gary Caldwell in him in that he's good for an OG/red card/howler now and then but overall he's a fantastic centre half.

Mertesacker takes the stick he does because he's slow and German. Another who's been excellent.

Arsenal aren't too far away. They seem set to sign a goalie in the summer, which I don't think is a necessity but Cesar seems a likely signing and is a top goalie. Friedel at Spurs was always reliable but look at the difference Lloris made there.

I can see them punting vermaelen and buying an even better centre half than Mertesacker and using Mertesacker as back up

I would love that to happen. Liverpool (my english team) are in the market for a centre half and I'd take Vermaelen in a heartbeat.

My opinion is arteta is too lightweight to play the holding role in arsenals midfield. They need a digger in there to stop teams swamping them

Deary me.

I can see them punting vermaelen and buying an even better centre half than Mertesacker and using Mertesacker as back up

Both Vermaelen and Sagna will probably be leaving in the summer, so they need a new CB and a new RB. LB is still a debated upon situation but my interest has waned so I don't know how Gibbs has been doing.

If they can keep their attacking options, but add the simply marvellous Stevan Jovetic, then they'll be up there next season. Walcott, Giroud, Podolski and Jovetic as your striker options offers you everything.

Oh, and Julio Cesar would be a frankly ridiculous signing.

Archived