Au Revoir Arsene?

RandomGuy

Big decisions   

293 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is fairly sad, but many of them don't appear to care. I thought that supporters of a club like Arsenal would have a wee bit more ambition than being in the top four. Winning something for instance. Apparently this isn't the case.

I think Arsenal could be in with a shout at the title next season, look a good side now and with a couple of signings may challenge for the title, remember the top three clubs will all have new managers, could be a transitional period for them .

I think they're going to bottle it on Sunday. I really hope not, just a feeling.

I can't see them blowing it. It's Newcastle they're playing.

I think it's possible, given how nervy they looked at 1-1 last night, but their recent away form has been excellent (5 wins in a row) and they've only lost two league games to sides outside the top 5 this season (Norwich and Swansea). Newcastle may well be in holiday mode, and with Krul injured and Elliott suspended they'll presumably have Steve Harper in goals.

I guess it depends on how Newcastle take the fact that they're safe. The pressure being off might actually be a bad thing for Arsenal. Of course, it could also mean that a bad Newcastle side could get even worse. That's how I think it's going to go. I think Arsenal absolutely smash Newcastle, negating both Spurs' chances, and maybe even allowing them to sneak third.

They're still miles off the pace though aren;t they? Considering the season City had, Arsenal conceivably could ahve challeneged them for second.

Whatcha think they're missing xbl?

Well if they win at Newcastle, they are going to be 3 points better off than last season, and considerably closer to second place, although the same distance away from the title. This summer is going to be the first summer when they arent' going to have a "will he won't he" saga over their best player, so that distraction won't be there.

They've conceded 10 less goals and now have the second best defensive record in the league, so they aren't a million miles away there, and despite losing their top goalscorer last season, they have scored a very similar number of goals. If they score 3 at the weekend, then they will have the same number of goals scored, because the goals are being shared around the team well.

In my view, all they need are one or two good players and a bit of belief, and given that this will be the first season when they aren't going to lose their top player, if they can sign one or two high profile players, then they will be sorted. Their transfer business last summer was excellent, and Poldolski, Giroud, and Cazorla have all adapted well in their first season, so one or two players in that mould and I really believe they will be about there.

I can envisage a will he won't he saga this summer with Carzola if Pellegrini winds up at City.

I agree that they went about their business very well lasts ummer, I'll be curious to see if they do the same this year.

I can envisage a will he won't he saga this summer with Carzola if Pellegrini winds up at City.

I agree that they went about their business very well lasts ummer, I'll be curious to see if they do the same this year.

He's under contract though. This isn't like RvP, Fabregas etc. etc. I saw last summer as the end of Wenger's focus on entirely youth players, as it was more like the old Arsenal. They made their moves and announced them early on in the summer without it turning into a protracted saga. I would like to see them ship out Gervinho, but with Giroud, Walcott and Poldolski there, I don't think they are short on forwards. They aren't particularly light in midfield either, although I'd like to see them buy some genuine width to give them some flexibility. At the back, I would argue that although I was a fan of him, Vermaelon isn't the best of the defenders, and so perhaps a new centre back too.

If Wenger was to make two signings, I would hope it would be a defender and a wide player. Both for big money with a big reputation, as I think that is important for Arsenal. They've had a decent season, and signing a couple of big names will hopefully give rest of the squad a bit of belief, which should make the difference in the big games.

I think Wayne Rooney would be a superb addition if they could get him, but I doubt they'd be able to afford his wages. I reckon he could easily be the "Sol Campbell" of this generation - a guy the club have to break the bank for, but who proves to be worth every penny.

I think he'd be a great fit for Arsenal too. You wonder if they could arrange some sort of fudge where they only pay him 100K a week or so, and have some sort of "sponsorship" deal to pay him enough to make it worth his while.

I always find it intriguing how I still meet some Arsenal fans that still claim that the overstated exaggeration in bringing youngsters through their academy, that are in the first team. I counted Gibbs, Wlishire and Szczesny(technically Legia Warsaw).

From the way I see it, they take these youth players like Jenkinson, Ramsey, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Walcott, from championship clubs and take the credit for them theirselves, as well as run of the mill, 'good but not world class' players like Arteta, or Rosicky. Cazorla has arguably been the first signing in recent years that seems like a statement of intent.

I'm actually quite surprised with all that money that they supposedly have, that they haven't heavily invested it into their youth programmes as much as other self-sustaining clubs like the ones in Germany, instead of buying 'good but not great' EPL standard players for short term, when they percieve themselves as a long term looking club.

So one game to go now, and they have the second best defensive record in the league, and the third most goals scored. Not bad for a team with terrible defenders and pish goalscorers!

Second and third best and they could still finish third, or fourth, or even fifth. They've still not won anything since 2005.

I can't see them blowing it. It's Newcastle they're playing.

Arsenal are 4/5 at Newcastle. That seemed decent enough odds to me so I backed them.

Just had a quick check on Bet365 and they've now changed the odds to a more realistic 4/7.

and Arsene Wenger guides Arsenal to the Champions League once again. Net spend of £9 million in ten years. Absolutely phenomenal manager!

What's his net spend on transfers and wages?

4th biggest football spend by far finish 4th. Dog bites man for me.

Archived