Au Revoir Arsene?

RandomGuy

Big decisions   

293 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is that really cause for an "only"? Excluding the top four there are five teams with a better stake to fourth than them; and at this point last season they were just a point off fourth (with Spurs and WBA having played more.) Furthermore teams right down to 15th last season could have said the same - Wigan on 10 points were just five behind WBA. It's very, very unusual to be streets ahead at this point in the season, and frankly if we were talking about anyone but Arsenal the word "only" would be replaced with "fully" or similar.

The reason I said "only" is that with some of the hyperbole on here, you'd have got the impression they were going to be in a relegation battle. Their start has been horrendous, but they did have some of their toughest fixtures of the season early on - with trips to Spurs and Man Utd and a home game against Liverpool. Last season they only took 2 points from those three matches, and while they wouldn't have contemplated losing all three, it's not the same as losing games to total diddies all over the place.

They have a reasonable run of fixtures between now and Christmas, with only Man City and Chelsea of the top clubs, and plenty of home games against some of the poorer clubs in the league.

It's 6 points now by the way - the 5 points part was posted while Spurs were leading Newcastle 2-1.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason I said "only" is that with some of the hyperbole on here, you'd have got the impression they were going to be in a relegation battle. Their start has been horrendous, but they did have some of their toughest fixtures of the season early on - with trips to Spurs and Man Utd and a home game against Liverpool. Last season they only took 2 points from those three matches, and while they wouldn't have contemplated losing all three, it's not the same as losing games to total diddies all over the

You could say the same about Spurs, who have played Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Newcastle.

I think Arsenal are in a lot of trouble still. I thought they were rubbish again defensively for the first half yesterday. Only that excellent instinctive save by Szczezny from Cattermole saved their bacon.

I don't think they will be top 4.

They certainly had a shaky period defensively between Sunderland scoring and half time.

The back four which played yesterday certainly isn't great. Jenkinson is still struggling with the basics and looks a bit raw, but is a very committed player and could eventually end up playing centre-back I reckon. He's been thrown in at the deep end this season, with the normally reliable Sagna having a lot of injuries. Mertesacker is slow and laborious, but at least provides some height and strength at the back. Koscielny is a fantastic one-on-one defender, but doesn't seem to quite have grasped how to defend as part of a team. Gibbs looks like he could be Clichy MkII - he bursts forward at great speed without really doing anything of note, and struggles positionally when asked to defend.

Spurs aren't much better at the back though, particularly without King, who went off injured yesterday for the 328th time in his career. The full-backs are both poor defensively and Kaboul and Bassong are both unreliable. They also lack a bit of shape at the moment, with no real right-winger available due to Lennon being missing. It seems strange that Redknapp signed so many central midfielders without really getting any cover for the wide areas. The issue surrounding van der Vaart could be a problem too. I don't think he really wants to be there any more, and I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to move for Champions League football in January.

Liverpool look best placed for 4th. They have a deep squad and a manager who generally gets the best out of his players. I think their achilles heel could be Carroll. He looks completely out of place in that team, but I think Dalglish will continue to persist with him in the hope that he finds his form. If he does then great, but if he doesn't then it could be detrimental to their chances. Again central defence could be a problem area, with Carragher starting to age and Agger and Skrtel perhaps being susceptible to direct runners. They are better placed in that area than either of their competitors though.

Watching Arsenal yesterday was the same pattern as established for the past three or four years - some excellent forward/attacking midfield play and some utterly woeful defending. I wouldn't say they were 'lucky' to win the game though, having created enough chances in the first twenty minutes to win three matches. Three points deserved in the end but better teams than Sunderland would have scored one or more chances from the number of times Sessegnon got in behind the Arsenal defence.

Despite being 1-0 down they are actually holding their own (in terms of play) against Chelsea. Wouldn't be massively surprised if they equalised.

And there he goes - RVP nets the equaliser. Dreadful defending there, Cole playing them onside but the central defenders just stood and watched as Arsenal pulled off a training-ground move.

Speaking of Van Persie - let's say he doesn't sign a new deal. Surely then they'll sell him in the summer?

I think he'll sign a new deal if they make the Champions League again. If not, I think they'll have to sell.

Same goes for Walcott, who is in the same situation. He's more likely to sign again though.

From what ive gathered, if they dont even challenge for a trophy (specifically Champions League), dont finish in the top 4, or dont give him a significant pay rise he will be leaving. Seeing Fabregas leave and be more successful has tempted him, and Arsenal are probably the stalest club in the world as everyone in their squad usually hangs around for 5 or more years, this filled with constant failure makes it a horrible enviroment.

No c**t would want Walcott except the Olympic sprinting team

I'm on the train to Edinburgh for our game just now. Has it been a good game? Is it worth me watching a crackly version of the second half on that Sky Go thing?

Yes, absolutely. Chelsea 2-1 up as Mertesacker sells the jerseys at a corner, letting John Terry volley (yes, volley) home from six yards. But Arsenal aren't out of it.

It was interesting seeing Chelsea dominate possession early and then Arsenal come up the park and have clear cut chances. Chelsea have been pretty solid at the back, and they have looked vulnerable at times today.

Robin Van Persie is on the form of his life these days. He's almost single handedly keeping Arsenal picking up the points at the minute.

It was interesting seeing Chelsea dominate possession early and then Arsenal come up the park and have clear cut chances. Chelsea have been pretty solid at the back, and they have looked vulnerable at times today.

That's Arsenal all over, though. They have sufficient creativity and quality (when RVP is fit, as you say) to score against virtually any team. It's elsewhere on the pitch that they struggle.

To the amazement of absolutely nobody, this Sky Go thing isn't working. It seems to only work if you're not moving somewhere, which rather goes against the name of it.

Still, it's free so I can't complain too much.

2-2 I gather, with the wonderful Andre Santos capping off a top notch performance with the goal his play deserved.

Archived