Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

That was fucking brilliant I thought. Was properly weeping at Jorah at the end. Thought the score was pretty excellent also.

Saw the Arya thing coming after her conversation with Melisandre about “brown eyes, green eyes...and blue” and I am pretty surprised so many bigger names survived. There was a scene on the wall with Brienne and Jaime fighting back to back against the WW and I thought that may have been it for the both of them.

There was so many moments where a main character was 1 second away from death just for someone to pop out of nowhere to save them. It happened at least once to every main character I think. Definitely went a bit Hollywood last night and wouldn't have happened in earlier seasons.

24 minutes ago, Stevieda said:

There was so many moments where a main character was 1 second away from death just for someone to pop out of nowhere to save them. It happened at least once to every main character I think. Definitely went a bit Hollywood last night and wouldn't have happened in earlier seasons.

It did happen in earlier seasons but there weren’t as many characters all in the one place. Pod saved Tyrion at the last moment and Tywin walks in just as Cersei is about to off herself at The Battle of Blackwater in season 2. Must have been a few at the battle at the wall too. Only one I can think of though is Olly killing Ygritte. Also happened when one of Craster’s wives saved Jon when they were avenging Commander Mormont against the night’s watch mutineers.

There were a lot of them last night due to the size and length of the battle but it is a trope the show has used in the past.

Absolutely loved Jon running after the night king, expecting a big show down, only for the night king to patch him as if he was irrelevant. 

Great writing, as if to say "No, it's not all about Jon".

Edited by Yoshi-91

3 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Wasn't as great as I was expecting it to be but I still enjoyed it. 8/10. Have to think about whether I found the Night King's death cheap or not.

I think under other circumstances you could say it was. But we had and hour 20 mins of non stop battle to get us to that point, never before watching a film have I had a moment where I really thought "shit, the good guys might actually get pumped here" but I genuinely had that at point during that. The Night King was never made out to be a fighter, he was a commander, so a big show down fight wasn't necessary, he was over confident and paid the price, the way it should be in that scenario. If he was ment to be some bad ass brawler then yeah it would have been cheap, but for what we got in the build up, and the scenario we had, it was a good way to go.

After watching Endgame on Saturday and this last night, I think I've ruined TV and Cinema for myself for the foreseeable future, nothing, just nothing, is going to compare in regards to epic storytelling!!!
That was the visually the best episode of GoT yet and anyone saying otherwise is just nitpicking, yes it was dark, but hey, he's the NIGHT King, he's not going to come up and chap the door at midday just so you can see him coming and anyway you've had 6 Seasons to get into the habit of turning up the brightness on your TV before it starts!!!
Definitely not one for the folk who like the wordy, place the chess pieces type of episodes, I doubt if there was ten pages of dialogue in the script for that episode, but the story was told by the camera tonight not the writers!!!
They're going to have to go some at Kings Landing to top this, which makes me think there might not be a battle and Cersie gets he bullet (or dagger) before one happens!!!
Brilliant, just brilliant!!!

Well, that was good.

22 minutes ago, Yoshi-91 said:

Absolutely loved Jon running after the night king, expecting a big show down, only for the night king to patch him as if he was irrelevant. 

Great writing, as if to say "No, it's not all about Jon".

To some extent ridiculous escapes from death for main characters are inevitable in any episode like that, in any programme, and you have to suspend disbelief, but I properly laughed out loud at cutting back to Jon fighting them off when we’d last saw him by himself with about 100 of them about to swarm him at the point where the Night King had just revived them. Brienne/Jaime/Pod getting out of their backs to the wall situation is one thing but that was another level.

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Well, that was good.

To some extent ridiculous escapes from death for main characters are inevitable in any episode like that, in any programme, and you have to suspend disbelief, but I properly laughed out loud at cutting back to Jon fighting them off when we’d last saw him by himself with about 100 of them about to swarm him at the point where the Night King had just revived them. Brienne/Jaime/Pod getting out of their backs to the wall situation is one thing but that was another level.

Yeah I know what you mean. There was also a point where there were a swarm running at the iron born from all directions, looking like they about to just get run over, cut away, cut back later to them picking them off with bows one at a time, was a bit strange. Don't really want to nit pick this one though, there are a lot if things that I could bring up but over all it was entertaining, and that's why we watch it.

23 minutes ago, Yoshi-91 said:

I think under other circumstances you could say it was. But we had and hour 20 mins of non stop battle to get us to that point, never before watching a film have I had a moment where I really thought "shit, the good guys might actually get pumped here" but I genuinely had that at point during that. The Night King was never made out to be a fighter, he was a commander, so a big show down fight wasn't necessary, he was over confident and paid the price, the way it should be in that scenario. If he was ment to be some bad ass brawler then yeah it would have been cheap, but for what we got in the build up, and the scenario we had, it was a good way to go.

I think the episode summed up the show post-season four for me. A lot of really well-directed episodes and individual scenes but the narrative has fallen flat since they've sped past the books. I can see your point but it felt a bit anticlimactic. Still interested to see the final three episodes but I'm not overly bothered about the show anymore. 

1 minute ago, Yoshi-91 said:

Don't really want to nit pick this one though, there are a lot if things that I could bring up but over all it was entertaining, and that's why we watch it.

Think this is it. The show's changed from season 4 and it's more about shutting your brain off and enjoying the spectacle. it still does the big set pieces really well. 

Edited by NotThePars

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

I think the episode summed up the show post-season four for me. A lot of really well-directed episodes and individual scenes but the narrative has fallen flat since they've sped past the books. I can see your point but it felt a bit anticlimactic. Still interested to see the final three episodes but I'm not overly bothered about the show anymore.

It's all turned a bit generic since they moved past the books, some of it seems like fan service almost, and  the shorter seasons doesn't really allow them to take their time with it.