Doctor Who

yoda

Yeah but River is "sassy" and "cheeky" and makes lots of jokes about her relationship with the doctor, who gets annoyed because he doesnt know hes in a relationship with her yet! Much hilarity!

You forgot to add that she says "Spoilers!" a lot as well.

How did Clara know what the diner in which the Doctor met Rory and Amy that time looked like? And roughly where it was? And why, after being at the end of the universe, did the Doctor wake up in America in what looks like the modern day?

Also were they hinting at the Doctor being half human with that line about why he was so fond of Earth?

What poses a threat to the Doctor now? Not the Daleks. He was on Skaro in the middle of loads of them and Davros and easily escaped and always defeats them. Not death since he got given loads more regenrations, resurrected Ishildir and made her immortal and seemingly has now done the same to Clara. Not time since he spent 4 billion years punching a crystal wall. Not losing his home planet since he found it again. Not the Timelords since they love him and made him President after a single standoff then half heartedly chased him and pretty much stood back and watched him escape.

Edited by DA Baracus

The Christmas episode looks utterly terrible, Greg Davies gurning away and shouting is really going to annoy me.

Is the whole point that "the Hybrid" is from an almost forgotten prophesy that the Doctor heard just before going mad as a teenager, so can easily be misinterpreted as a hybrid instead of an amalgamation of two people

I think Dr Who fans have become a little spoilt since the show's return. Whilst Saturday's episode wasn't terrific, it wasn't that bad either. It's main fault was that it had to follow 'Heaven Sent'. There were mistakes in it too in terms of Clara's "death" and the role reversal at the end with the Doctor losing his memories this time.

My main gripe is that Who has lost it's peril. No one dies or is ever in any danger that shouting or running away can't fix - a lead character death would have gone some way to fix this.

In terms of the series as a whole, it's nowhere near the worst in Who's history and is generally ahead of most of the stuff that Davidson, C Baker or McCoy ever did - which isn't exactly high praise.

Christmas episode on it's own looks like it could change all of the above and make it the worst series of television anywhere in the world ever.

Edited by killienick

Peter Davidson's era wasn't that bad, he had suffer being The irreplaceable Tom Baker's replacement and honestly didn't make to bad a fist of it!!!

It's Colin Baker's time where the rot set in IMO!!!

I don't see who the target audience is anymore. It will be well above kid's heads, geeks are not interested in the Doctor's relationship with his companion and casual viewers won't have a fucking clue what is going on.

Loved the retro Tardis though. They should have kept that.

This is what strikes me about it most. A couple of weeks ago Mrs Ranter noticed it in the Sky planner, and when quizzed about it, I said I watched each week.

She asked why I hadn't been watching it with our boys (8 &9 yo) I gave it some thought, and realised it was because there wasn't much in it to interest kids of that age.

This is what strikes me about it most. A couple of weeks ago Mrs Ranter noticed it in the Sky planner, and when quizzed about it, I said I watched each week.

She asked why I hadn't been watching it with our boys (8 &9 yo) I gave it some thought, and realised it was because there wasn't much in it to interest kids of that age.

My kids are 8 and 10, they watch it. Dont think theyre all that keen on Capaldi, to be honest, they prefer Smith.

The strongest run of episodes since the series returned in 2005 was in my opinion the David Tennant quartet of Human Nature , The Family of Blood , Blink and Utopia. But remember these episodes were preceded by the crud that was 42 and followed by the very iffy Last of the Time Lords stuff.

I have by and large enjoyed the current series but think that's more to do with the excellence of Capaldi and Coleman rather than the quality of some the stories. I think that at times recent series have suffered from having to run with a series arc . Classic Who with the exception of The Key to Time Series ( which was shit ) and Trial of a Time Lord ( which was even more shit ) tended just to have The Doctor whizzing around in The Tardis having adventures then buggering off at the end of them - I certainly think there's plenty to be said for returning to that format more often - even if it's at the expense of a "story arc" or "character development" - that way your casual viewer is also potentially more likely to watch stand alone episodes if they like the setting / actors involved as they don't need a back story.

Edited by Kilbowie's Finest

Peter Davidson's era wasn't that bad, he had suffer being The irreplaceable Tom Baker's replacement and honestly didn't make to bad a fist of it!!!

It's Colin Baker's time where the rot set in IMO!!!

Davison remains my favourite Doctor.

Apologies for my ignorance but has Capaldi's Doctor met River yet? I dont care about River in the slightest so if they have i've forgotten entirely.

Wasn't a fan of Human Nature and The Family of Blood as it seemed to drag on and the ending as far as I can remember was a real let down but Blink thru to the The Sound of Drums was really good. Last of the Time Lords was pish tho with the whole planet thinking of the the name of the Doctor all at the same time. Its those moments that can ruin what could otherwise have been enjoyable.

Edited by meanmistermustard

I thought Human Nature and Family of Blood were superb. The new series tends towards sentimentality too often for my liking but feel they got it just right there. Agree that the Master story stated superbly but had a bloody stupid ending.

Agreed, up there with my favourite double episode and series all round. If Moffat would revert to the simpler stories that effectively last one/two episodes rather than trying to intertwine a stupid plot throughout the whole series it would be a good start in making it slightly watchable again. This series was just an absolute mess and the main reason behind that is the ridiculous story arc.

What Davies did with Rose coming back and The Master story arcs was spot on, all he did was leave wee hints throughout the series before it all culminated in the finale, meaning the stories for each episode had their own drama and was extremely enjoyable.