best/worst chain restaurant

mungo

The last McDonalds I went to had a customer service thingy having a raging breakdown at his supervisor for asking him to clean a table. That said, when calling the service 'poor' it begs the question: compared to what? I don't think it builds any illusions as to what it is. And for what it is, it remains far and away better than it's nearest competitor.

Maybe if they employed people instead of "thingys" they would be even better.

You do realise how fucking patronising that comment was I hope?

Maybe if they employed people instead of "thingys" they would be even better.

You do realise how fucking patronising that comment was I hope?

Perhaps you could explain. There's nothing patronising about it whatsoever.

The last McDonalds I went to had a customer service thingy having a raging breakdown at his supervisor for asking him to clean a table. That said, when calling the service 'poor' it begs the question: compared to what? I don't think it builds any illusions as to what it is. And for what it is, it remains far and away better than it's nearest competitor.

I can see where you're coming from, but when it comes to basic service, I slightly disagree. I don't think that it can be excused just because it's at the lower end of the culinary spectrum. I've been to expensive restaurants where the service is just as piss poor, and some cheaper ones where it's been fantastic. Agreed though, in the setting they're in, it's probably very difficult to put across any kind of decent customer service when you're asking the same thing over and over again. There will be some staff in there that will go that extra bit though, but it shouldn't be a minority.

That said though, like I said, I see what you're getting at. I don't usually go into McDonalds full stop, but if I did I wouldn't be expecting silver service.

In USA I'll go for a&w burger,how fast food should be done! In the UK I'll go for pintos the mexican place I'm sure they've got a few places and one on queen street.

I don't think Pinto's is a chain. I went on there website but it says there's only a restaurant in Glasgow.

It was excellent, though. My burrito couldn't have been more full and almost exploded. Fairly cheap too, although it comes under the whole Nando's-style ordering system. I don't mind that, though. It means that the employees aren't hassling you asking how your meal it. It's fast-food.

I don't think I can pinpoint just one...

Best

Pizza Hut - Have had takeaway from them recently, which was the first time I'd eaten there in years. IT was hands down the worst pizza I'd ever ordered. The restuarant side of things have tried to move to a more Nando's level of middle-class-ery, but it's not sitting well. The food doesn't match up.

If it was Pizza Hut Delivery, they use different pizzas than the ones at their restaurants.

I think O'Neills is brilliant. Me and one of my flatmates have made a habit of going there after a night out, the burgers are unreal and it's the perfect hangover cure. We must look like massive queerhawks, two guys regularly coming in and getting those big girly ice creams in a huge bowl each. The service is always excellent too.

I absolutely despise Walkabout, I don't know why but I'm never relaxed in there. Prefer Scream pubs or Wetherspoons. I've never been to Nando's so can't comment. I don't mean that the way Guardian readers say "Have I seen Friends? No, I don't even own a TV", I've genuinely never been.

BTW, 9 pages on chain restaurants shows what a collection of fat b*****ds Scottish people are. :lol:

Edited by Guest

Used to have 1 of these in Glasgow, it was just off sauchiehall St.

Although strangely it was shared with KFC (2 restaurants, 1 shop)

I really liked it, burgers were far superior to other fast food chains, ended up just becoming a bigger KFC though :(

In Belfast they have subways within newspaper shops. :D

One of my mates is the kitchen manager at the TGI fridays in edinburgh. 50% discount on food for me :D

Still wouldn't pay for that shite, as I've said earlier you'd get better quality food in McDonald's.

Awful, awful place to eat. It's a very tacky, over-priced, cocktail bar; it's definitely not for eating in. Last went in two Christmases ago for uni Christmas lunch, and nothing was acceptable, except the bottled beers - but they can't really f**k that up...

I used to be of the opinion that all McDonalds were of roughly the same standard. I was wrong. The one in Maryhill is horrific. All the staff are complete pig humans (half pig/half human).

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade

Not a lot of chat about Subway in this thread which leads me to believe people think it is just alright. There used to be two Quiznos in Glasgow city centre that were miles better than subway (if slightly more expensive) gutted when they both closed. Tried Baguette Express a couple of times, ok grub but depending on staffing it isn't always fast food. My favourite thing right now is Pinto, it is just round the corner from my flat and if I'm feeling starving the burrito will fill you up. It is actually not bad for a quick sit down as well and you can get a beer too which pushes it well above subway when it comes to a mid-session interval.

I'm not a great fan of chain restaurants and loathe going to places like Di Maggios because honestly the food isn't that good and their menu is boring as f**k. Oh pasta, I've never tried that before. Same goes for Frankie and Benny's. Places like Wotherspoons, Scream etc I can't be too hard on them because at least it is a pub and the primary reason to go is to get alcohol and not food.

Ketchup is decent for burgers although I'll probably not go to Ketchup once my student card expires (no more 2 for 1), the burgers are good but scrap paying £10 for a burger with only really bad coleslaw, I know other places in the West End you can pay just under a £10, and get a Burger, Chips and decent salad bits.

Try Hummingbird on Bath Street. Pretty sure they still do 2 for 1 burgers.

Last time I went I had a black and blue. A big, juicy beefburger topped with bacon and Stilton. A brilliant scran for a hungover Sunday.

All basic fast food chains (McDonalds, etc) are shite but serve a purpose.

I hate the so called upper end ones though, they are pish and getting into the price bracket where you might as well just go to a proper place. Tony Macaroni's and Papperino's do a job at filling you up with not too bad basic Italian fare, Ashoka is shite and anyone eating in those places wants to take a long hard look at themselves given the plethora of outstanding curry shops in Glasgow.

I used to like eating at Old Orleans but I think they shut down years ago.

Frankenstein's seems to be a chain- service in the Edinburgh one was bloody shocking last time I went there. It took a hour to bring us a cold cheese burger. Fux ake! :angry:

There's some fit birds serving in some of the Maccy D's on this side of the county- makes up for the crap food.