Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

It was already obvious that Gretna were going to finish bottom. It's anyone's guess where Rangers will end up in the league.

They can't finish any lower than 1th, so at worst they could give them that. However, prize money is a reward for performance over the course of the season - if they can't complete the season, they aren't entitled to a prize

When Gretna were in trouble did the league not advance them money from the prize fund / TV revenue so they could fulfill their fixtures for the season?

ohmy.gif Do you think it's a Papal conspiracy?

pope-is-watching-you.jpg

Here's a bit of a daft question, but I'm looking for opinions on people, who have a decent memory of what the excitement of football was like in the latter years of the top league before the SPL. I ask only because I was too young to know what it was like <_< You know, when Rangers were dominating cheating and Celtic were struggling to keep second. Compared to those days, was there that much of a contrast in excitement to the league in the present?

In terms of a genuine league challenge, very, very rarely. Aberdeen should have won in 1991 and Hearts gave them a real fright in 1998 before fading. Perhaps they could have done more with a bit more belief, as could Motherwell in 1994. I guess the main difference was that second and European spots were up for grabs - in 1995 even Falkirk (no disrespect meant) put in a real challenge for runners-up and that must have been unbelievable for them. Was certainly surreal seeing Motherwell do so well and along with us being second, Hearts and Aberdeen claimed runners-up spots too which was much better than now but there was always a feeling that a Rangers championship was inevitable.

I guess the main difference with one of the OF being a joke is it makes cup success all the more possible. Between Celtic's last success of the old regime (89 SC) and first of the new (95 SC), four different teams won the competition (Aberdeen, Motherwell, Rangers x 2, Dundee United), even before the new SPL was formed Kilmarnock and Hearts won their cups. In the League Cup it was similar with Aberdeen x 2, Rangers x 3, Hibs and Raith all winning 1989-1995 though diddy success here then dried up quickly.

In comparison overall since the start of the SPL when both OF became very strong to everyone else, only once has a non-OF team finished second (Hearts), two have won the LC (Livingston, Hibs) and two the Scottish (Hearts and Dundee United).

Given the sh*t storm that would likely kick off no matter what happened in the result of liquidation, I think he is right to say it would be a disaster. The SFA, SFL and SPL will all be praying for a last minute bid from someone willing to write off £100m and keep the status quo. Anything other than that will be an absoulte nightmare for the authorities, no matter what they choose to do.

Some of them might even have to work for their wages.

Edited by Ross.

in 1995 even Falkirk (no disrespect meant) put in a real challenge for runners-up

Mo Johnston killed our season with a miss from a yard in a "make or break" game. Had he scored, well, the rest is history...

They can't finish any lower than 1th, so at worst they could give them that. However, prize money is a reward for performance over the course of the season - if they can't complete the season, they aren't entitled to a prize

It would be an advance on money due to them..The same way as money was advanced to Gretna and would only be done if in the SPL best interest. It is not exactly going to help Rangers because if it got that serious we would be beyond help...that is assuming we have not already reached that point

When Gretna were in trouble did the league not advance them money from the prize fund / TV revenue so they could fulfill their fixtures for the season?

They did, and I think I'm right in saying they also received any parachute payments that they would have been entitled to receive upon relegation. Thing is though, with Rangers leaking money left right and centre, that kind of pay out probably wouldn't cover a month or two's losses.

I thought it was the Ticketus money left over after Whyte paid off the bank debt?

I was under this impression too.

The bullshit and bluster from some of the medias finest regarding Rangers being "too big" or "too grand" to go under has reminded me of that fact that it's almost one hundred years ago exactly that another thing went down, with everyone saying "this thing is too grand to sink".

Predictions for the SFA statement?

"The committee has reported its findings to the board and we will determine our actions in due course. No further statement will be made until then. WATP"

Yes, they gave them all their due prizemoney and both years of paracutes... they then became a creditor for Year 2 parachute when they were liquidated!! However you've got massive overheads in comparison, and the prizemoney for 6th isn't going to get you to the season's end, although it would clearly help.

What'd you expect him to say, tbh? Financially it very probably is "a disaster".

Yes, they gave them all their due prizemoney and both years of paracutes... they then became a creditor for Year 2 parachute when they were liquidated!! However you've got massive overheads in comparison, and the prizemoney for 6th isn't going to get you to the season's end, although it would clearly help.

The SPL paid the players' wages.

It was that simple.

The SFA 'statement' will say even less than Stewart Gilmour's did.

At the very best, it will be a whitewash.

Regan is another spineless handmaiden.

He's only 1 man of 4 on the investigation - alongwith the Judge, the bloke from BT and the bloke from SEPA...

... and he's only 1 man of 6 (Ogilvie excluded) on SFA Board - alongwith Sir Ralph (SPL), the Juniors Secretary, Petrie (Hibs), the bloke from Cove Rangers, and the man from the brewery.

Whatever happens, it's certainly not his individual decision.

Why is he saying anything?

I remember during the Gretna situation, the SPL pretty much said "We'll do what we can to help them fulfil their fixtures and stay in touch with the administrators throughout"

That's fine.

Suddenly, because it's Rangers, people like Regan seem to feel obliged to become embroiled in the rights and wrongs of the consequences, something they were keen to remain neutral on when Gretna went down the tubes.

All Regan has said is it would be a disaster. For a lot of people it would be.

He isn't saying everything should be done to ensure it doesn't happen.

I think we are all so desperate to see it happen we are angry at anyone sayng it would be bad if it did.

It would be bad, just not as bad as some mae it out to be.

Why is he saying anything?

I remember during the Gretna situation, the SPL pretty much said "We'll do what we can to help them fulfil their fixtures and stay in touch with the administrators throughout"

That's fine.

Suddenly, because it's Rangers, people like Regan seem to feel obliged to become embroiled in the rights and wrongs of the consequences, something they were keen to remain neutral on when Gretna went down the tubes.

It's all part of preparing the ground for the birth of zombie fc.