Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

The authorities did not want to pursue such a course. It would have required courage. Rangers got to retain their titles on the basis that the SPL decided they could not impose such penalties retrospectively. The SFL under Longmuir had already decided that his body was not prepared to examine the legitimacy or otherwise of any League Cups Rangers had won. There's no doubt though that rules were broken, hence the record breaking fine. Rangers got to keep their titles, not on the basis that they deserved to, but on the basis that leaving them be was less trouble. Imagine wanting to accept that, let alone wishing to use it for gloating purposes. My God, it's pitiful.

I wonder what the SPL and SFL would have done if Sevco were prevented from using the Rangers brand. As Sevco bought the titles, would the record books now show them as won by Sevco or would they have remained as Rangers. :unsure2:

The decision not to strip any titles was the correct one in my opinion. You would have to prove that Rangers wouldn't have won them anyway. Even if you exclude the players on EBTs from the Rangers line-ups of the time, others would have taken their place. Perhaps even better ones, who knows.

(WATP GSTQ NS)

Come on Bennett.

Better than that needed.

How did you interpret the decision and the reasons given for it?

Whatever happened to accepting LNS' verdict no mater what?

That was what the p and B posters were saying prior to his judgement, the rest of it has been done to death on here Phil.

The decision not to strip any titles was the correct one in my opinion. You would have to prove that Rangers wouldn't have won them anyway. Even if you exclude the players on EBTs from the Rangers line-ups of the time, others would have taken their place. Perhaps even better ones, who knows.

(WATP GSTQ NS)

Not the point and no such proof of anything needed.

Cup ties have been overturned because of clerical errors. This was systematic and deliberate over hundreds of games.

Whatever happened to accepting LNS' verdict no mater what?

That was what the p and B posters were saying prior to his judgement, the rest of it has been done to death on here Phil.

I never said I'd accept any such verdict.

The decision to leave titles intact was unfair and wrong.

I never said I'd accept any such verdict.

The decision to leave titles intact was unfair and wrong.

If I recall correctly LNS claimed that Celtics fat low level gatherer of paper misunderstood the rules regarding title stripping and densboy and chums never got their party.

Whatever happened to accepting LNS' verdict no mater what? That was what the p and B posters were saying prior to his judgement, the rest of it has been done to death on here Phil.

The LNS verdict that said you 'cheated but gained no sporting advantage'?

What ever happened to accepting LNS no matter what?

Not cheating, but fined anyway :blink:

As has been said before - if Rangers hadn't weren't found to have engaged in serious, intentional and systematic rule-breaking over hundreds of games in all competitions, it's a bit odd that they were slapped with what was IIRC the largest fine in Scottish football history.

Maybe they got the biggest fine for being especially awesome, or something?

Dinna talk pish, it said no such thing ya haddie.

Let's not go back over the definition of 'cheating' again.

Rangers deliberately withheld information from the football authorities, presumably because they weren't sure if the EBTs were legal or not. The LNS statement said 'Oldco through its senior management decided that such side-letter arrangements should not be disclosed to the football authorities...'. To anyone other than a sophist, that's cheating - one cheat (non-disclosure) to cover up what they thought was another cheat (payment of EBTs)!

If there was no cheating, why were they fined 250K?

That's a sensible approach.

Rangers deliberately withheld information from the football authorities..........To anyone other than a sophist, that's cheating.

You're doing what you said we shouldn't do - defining cheating.

As has been said before - if Rangers hadn't weren't found to have engaged in serious, intentional and systematic rule-breaking over hundreds of games in all competitions, it's a bit odd that they were slapped with what was IIRC the largest fine in Scottish football history.

Maybe they got the biggest fine for being especially awesome, or something?

Think it was a world record TBF

Rangers deliberately withheld information from the football authorities, presumably because they weren't sure if the EBTs were legal or not. The LNS statement said 'Oldco through its senior management decided that such side-letter arrangements should not be disclosed to the football authorities...'. To anyone other than a sophist, that's cheating - one cheat (non-disclosure) to cover up what they thought was another cheat (payment of EBTs)!

If there was no cheating, why were they fined 250K?

Administrative errors.