whisky lovers

I've always got Whyte & Mackay in stock in my house for the likes of the hot toddies etc. (or a few of my friends like whisky with ginger beer), don't think I've ever poured one neat to drink by itself though. If I'm in the pub and someone offers me a drink I'll sometimes take something like that instead of flogging them for a malt. I don't tend to drink any other spirit all that often. Always take it still just neat though, and while there's no major satisfaction with it there's nothing wrong with it.

There seems to be a distinct lack of opinion on which of the cheap blends is best. Whyte and Mackay and Grouse are what I tend to keep in the house. Less keen on Bells, Grants or High Commissioner.

37 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

There seems to be a distinct lack of opinion on which of the cheap blends is best. Whyte and Mackay and Grouse are what I tend to keep in the house. Less keen on Bells, Grants or High Commissioner.

Probably because nobody really bothers going around spending the money trying to figure it out. It's more of a "that'll do" when it comes to blends.

18 minutes ago, Spain said:

Probably because nobody really bothers going around spending the money trying to figure it out. It's more of a "that'll do" when it comes to blends.

I usually just go for the supermarket own brands when looking for a cheapo blend. They're probably identical to one of the branded ones.

26 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I usually just go for the supermarket own brands when looking for a cheapo blend. They're probably identical to one of the branded ones.

I only buy Whyte & Mackay blends as one of their big distilleries is in the next town over, and it owns The Dalmore which is my local. Supporting local jobs, aren't I...?

Anyway, back to the decent stuff - my brothers are erratic with present buying quality so my old man's giving them suggestions for his Christmas presents and he's requested a number of times that he wants some more Balblairs. I look forward to helping make an early dent on them over Christmas. He always ply's us with lots of different whiskies over Christmas. It truly is a wonderful time of year.

15 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

I was told that asda own brand whisky was grouse, with a different labeky anyone know if supermarket own brands are better known labelled differently.

It's not Grouse. I got that from someone who very definitely knows.

2 hours ago, Willie adie said:

I was told that asda own brand whisky was grouse, with a different labeky anyone know if supermarket own brands are better known labelled differently.

Last I heard M&S 12 was Deanston. Which considering most of it goes to blend is no bad thing - a decent dram imo

Speyside?

A region of Scotland. Famous in footballing terms for the mighty Maroons and for producing Whisky.

Waitrose?

A supermarket, but probably not the one Jarvis Cocker was referring to.

Bottle?

A vessel that is used to contain whisky or messages.