whisky lovers

16 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

I think I have a slightly inverted relationship with the Islay malts to most people in that Laphroaig is the first whisky I ever really liked so to me it's the non peaty/smoky ones I have had to work a little at liking. Go to options for me are Laphroaig, Old Pulteney and Glen Keith, with Lagavulin being the 'push the boat out' option. 

Keen to try some of the ones that get a good write up on here like Talisker but also some of the ones that are independently owned rather than being subsidiaries of wankers like Diageo. I know Kilchoman and Springbank are on that list, are there any other good ones?

If you only ever drank Springbank offering from now until forever that's probably enough.

Apart from what you said Arran would be another to throw in there. Plenty of people like Edradour, I haven't had anything that blew me away but that might just be me.

I would buy two different styles at the 35 pound mark rather than one at 70 if it was me. You'll get decent stuff for that price. Maybe take one each of a highland, lowland or speyside initially if you want to keep away from the smoke and peat until you acquire the taste. 
All the ones suggested so far are great, but I'd also personally lobby for glengoyne, glen grant, glendronach, dalwhinnie. All great 'entry level' whiskies that would be good value. 

You might struggle to get either of these for £35 unless they’re on special offer, but would also highly recommend Clynelish 14 and Oban 14

This is on special offer at Tesco at £22.00 - an absolute steal at that price.

549794-600x600.jpg.97fc22b2c3687aa406fb34b40af1d01c.jpg

A refined balance of rich fruit and gentle smoky notes. Amber gold in colour with aromas of vanilla spice, citrus and a hint of sea spray, followed by cinnamon, pears, pecans and toffee fudge in the aftertaste.

Thanks for the advice pal.
Let me flip it on it's head then. Which should I avoid?
I'm no expert and Bishopburn Boy's response below your post will tell you a lot more than I could (I struggle with multi-quoting!) but there's not really anything in particular to avoid as everyone's taste is different. In normal times you could try a whisky you fancied in a pub but to a lesser extent you could try a miniature before committing to a bottle.

10 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I'll admit to liking Jura's whiskies but it really seems to split opinion on here.

I’m the opposite.  I think they’re all completely mediocre - even more now they’ve gone down the NAS mass produced route.  

14 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

I'm going to have to ask. What's NAS please?

A whisky can on only state the age of the youngest, so if it even only had a small amount of 3 year old in it and the majority was 12 year old, they could only put 3 year old on the bottle if they wanted to classify it.

9 minutes ago, Super Tuesday said:

A whisky can on only state the age of the youngest, so if it even only had a small amount of 3 year old in it and the majority was 12 year old, they could only put 3 year old on the bottle if they wanted to classify it.

Or be like Compass Box and release a deliberately named 3 year old but make it amazing (because it's really much older but has a tiny amount of 3 year old in for protest sake). Would rather just know tbh, young whisky can still be very good.

Blurb here https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/compass-box/compass-box-3-year-old-deluxe-whisky/

14 hours ago, GiGi said:

Or be like Compass Box and release a deliberately named 3 year old but make it amazing (because it's really much older but has a tiny amount of 3 year old in for protest sake). Would rather just know tbh, young whisky can still be very good.

Blurb here https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/compass-box/compass-box-3-year-old-deluxe-whisky/

Compass box originally got a lot of stick from the Scotch Whisky Association ( the SWA - the distillers trade association) for being too transparent in what they were doing , they appear to have backed off a bit now (the SWA) but it seems a strange old world where telling people what they are getting is deemed negative 

On 10/06/2020 at 21:25, Peedzy said:

Also, couldn't resist another Berry Bros Sherry Cask from Amazon, for £24 with 10% subscribe (just cancel the subscribe before they ship another)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Berry-Brothers-Rudd-Classic-Matured/dp/B07CNQMHN5/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1XKSHI7C37TXT&dchild=1&keywords=berry+brothers+%26+rudd&qid=1591552952&rnid=1642204031&s=alcohol&sprefix=berry%2Caps%2C155&sr=1-1

On the back of this tip my first bottle arrived today, looks good and I'm looking forward to opening it at the weekend. Does anyone have recommendations for tasting, as at 43% it might be in the ice or drop of water territory?

1 minute ago, virginton said:

On the back of this tip my first bottle arrived today, looks good and I'm looking forward to opening it at the weekend. Does anyone have recommendations for tasting, as at 43% it might be in the ice or drop of water territory?

Neat, water, bit more water if you want. That order, see what you prefer. 43% is not that much in the whisky world and that's a really drinkable bottle.

Other than that, if you like ice in it then go for it.

Compass box originally got a lot of stick from the Scotch Whisky Association ( the SWA - the distillers trade association) for being too transparent in what they were doing , they appear to have backed off a bit now (the SWA) but it seems a strange old world where telling people what they are getting is deemed negative 

They got chewed out for putting toasted champagne barrel staves inside their casks too, and had to change the method.

4 hours ago, virginton said:

Same advice as Gigi, whatever suits your taste best.

I'd go neat, then add water little by little until your happy. Just let the first few sips rest on your tongue.

You can but whisky stones that won't melt and dilute it if you want to put  bit of chill on it.

My grandad drinks grouse and soda with ice as he lived in India for 20 years and you couldn't get good lager to cool you down in those days.

It's a really nice summer evening drink.