What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I know what he's up for, I'm not questioning the decision to nominate him. I'm just surprised as it didn't feel like he had much screen time really in comparison to say, Hardy.

Couple of winners have spent not much time on screen. Hopkins and Hathaway the most notable ones.

Just depends on the impact they have while they're on.

Body Snatchers - not the Abel Ferrara film, but the one also known as 'Lost Time'.

Lassie gets abducted by aliens, cured of cancer, and loses her sister. Will she find her? Not without enduring a turgid mess that seems to give up on plot early on and devolve into a nonsensical Christian God/Lucifer allegory. Watch the other one - it's a much better film, replete with full frontal Meg Tilly.

Pitch Perfect 2 - 6/10

:)

I was compelled to watch the first one under duress, figuring it was some sort of Glee knock-off or what-not for the Mrs., but it cracked me up and I laughed pretty much throughout.

The sequel is still quite funny, if a little baggy and not quite as good to watch.

Probably best watched with a couple of beers

'You are one of us ... you paid the registration fee.'

I know what he's up for, I'm not questioning the decision to nominate him. I'm just surprised as it didn't feel like he had much screen time really in comparison to say, Hardy.

I looked up the rules on this and it seems that any acting role can be nominated for both. However if both gather enough votes to be nominated, only the role that was nominated first will be counted. Also an actor or actress can no longer be nominated twice in the same category for two different films. Apart from that there doesn't seem to be any other rules effecting eligibility for Support Actor/Actress or Lead Actor/Actress.

http://www.oscars.org/sites/oscars/files/88aa_rules.pdf

I thought The Big Short was all over the place. It felt like a jarred, amateurish sequel to The Wolf Of Wall Street but even less subtle, in fact obvious to the point of patronising the audience. It has its moments (Steve Carell excellent) and I'm glad to see the film's serious subject in the mainstream, but I thought Adam McKay, who has made some excellent comedy films, was in over his head. I can't believe it's some bookmakers' favourite for the Best Picture Academy Award.

Couple of winners have spent not much time on screen. Hopkins and Hathaway the most notable ones.

Just depends on the impact they have while they're on.

Beatrice Straight won after appearring for something like five minutes in Network. Mental.

I looked up the rules on this and it seems that any acting role can be nominated for both. However if both gather enough votes to be nominated, only the role that was nominated first will be counted. Also an actor or actress can no longer be nominated twice in the same category for two different films. Apart from that there doesn't seem to be any other rules effecting eligibility for Support Actor/Actress or Lead Actor/Actress.

http://www.oscars.org/sites/oscars/files/88aa_rules.pdf

That's me well and truly telt.

The Revenant.

5/10

Thought it was a bit of a slog. The bear attack was terrifying and very well done, and the opening battle scene was quite captivating - but I just felt there were long periods of absolutely nothing but shots of the landscape and Di Caprio moaning in discomfort.

Don't see any of the Oscar buzz for the individual performances - Redmayne should win it comfortably unless the Academy wilt to the public appetite to see Di Caprio given an award. I don't know about anyone else but I struggled to understand Tom Hardy throughout the film.

The Revenant.

5/10

Thought it was a bit of a slog. The bear attack was terrifying and very well done, and the opening battle scene was quite captivating - but I just felt there were long periods of absolutely nothing but shots of the landscape and Di Caprio moaning in discomfort.

Don't see any of the Oscar buzz for the individual performances - Redmayne should win it comfortably unless the Academy wilt to the public appetite to see Di Caprio given an award. I don't know about anyone else but I struggled to understand Tom Hardy throughout the film.

Pretty much agree with all of this

Bad Education The Movie - 6/10. Having not really watched much of the TV show I wasn't expecting much but was quite suprised at how good this was. Some hilarious moments (that poor hamster!) kept me entertained. If you like the show then you'll love the film.

I think The Revenant is among the best films of the last ten years: ambitious, artful, innovative and completely original. Hell really did freeze over, and Hugh Glass was left for dead in the centre of it. Leonardo Di Caprio's performance is as intense and primitive as I've ever seen by any actor. The only recent performance I can think of that compares is Adrien Brody in The Pianist, but in ways this film is even more despairing and intimate than that survival story. In a film that I didn't expect to have such a patent villain, Tom Hardy is truly egregious.

Surely now we have to start talking about Inarritu, Cuaron and Del Toro as the most influential wave in world cinema, up there with the German/Italian/French waves of the past. The "Mexican Wave"?

I think The Revenant is among the best films of the last ten years: ambitious, artful, innovative and completely original. Hell really did freeze over, and Hugh Glass was left for dead in the centre of it. Leonardo Di Caprio's performance is as intense and primitive as I've ever seen by any actor. The only recent performance I can think of that compares is Adrien Brody in The Pianist, but in ways this film is even more despairing and intimate than that survival story. In a film that I didn't expect to have such a patent villain, Tom Hardy is truly egregious.

Surely now we have to start talking about Inarritu, Cuaron and Del Toro as the most influential wave in world cinema, up there with the German/Italian/French waves of the past. The "Mexican Wave"?

Terrible joke but I smiled so a Charles to you sir.