What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Stranger (1946)
Lesser known film-noir but pretty good with Edward G Robinson playing a War Crimes investigator trying to hunt down a Nazi played by Orson Welles who has settled in Connecticut and is now married to Loretta Young. It's a game of cat and mouse with Edward G using every tick he knows to reveal the true identity of Welles. The story works well apart from the fact that there is not the slightest hint of a German accent.
7/10
Did a bit of a double take at hearing this described as "lesser known", but that's probably me showing my age.[emoji69]
It is a cracking film, though.

59 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Did a bit of a double take at hearing this described as "lesser known", but that's probably me showing my age.emoji69.png
It is a cracking film, though.

Believe me I'm no youngster but it's not a film I had heard of before, I usually think of The Maltese Falcon, Double Indemnity, The Big Sleep and Touch Of Evil when film-noir is mentioned.

Birds of Prey and the Fabulous Emancipation of Harley Quinn

7/10

A lot of fun. A bit try hard in places but entertaining overall. A far better use of the Harley Quinn character than Suicide Squad. In fact this was pretty much the movie that Suicide Squad should have been, and I'm sure that's intentional.

Lack of Joker is a huge positive, especially since the Leto Joker is easily and by far the worst. 

I was pleasantly surprised with Birds of Prey. The kind of film I'd never have bothered seeing without my unlimited card.

Harley Quinn was one of the only positives of Suicide Squad and showed she's a character that was more than capable of carrying her own film without all the shite that dragged SS down.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

I appreciate Jared Leto’s Joker in as much as he’s the actor most likely to become the Joker off the back of how his portrayal was received

Nah, he was 'corporate wacky'. He was what a load of suits thought 'crazy' should be. It was as dreadful as it was boring.

Every single version before him was so massively superior in every way.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Nah, he was 'corporate wacky'. He was what a load of suits thought 'crazy' should be. It was as dreadful as it was boring.

Every single version before him was so massively superior in every way.

No I'm saying I could see Jared Leto legitimately becoming the Joker in real life.

10 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

No I'm saying I could see Jared Leto legitimately becoming the Joker in real life.

Ah. Get you.

There's loads of folk who think 'being the Joker' means being some sort of edgy alternative individual.

In reality it means being a dull, unoriginal boring flange with zero personality.

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I don't think the Joker would be tragic enough to send people his spunk to prove how ker-razy he is.

I'm guessing all that edgelord bollocks was to cover up for the fact that he's a dull millionaire milquetoast with no confidence in his own ability to play the character.

9 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I don't think the Joker would be tragic enough to send people his spunk to prove how ker-razy he is.

I'm guessing all that edgelord bollocks was to cover up for the fact that he's a dull millionaire milquetoast with no confidence in his own ability to play the character.

*Zizek voice* The Joker eesh *sniffs* thee ultimate tragic feegure. A man who ish possessed with potent agency yet ish *sniff* unable to imagine anything beyond *nihilism* and *revenge*. 

The Joker has been the role model for edgelord dumb guys ever since The Dark Knight. Couple that with Leto's method acting for a role that got cut to like 7 minutes in the cinema release and I could see an origin story for a real life millionaire Joker. Mind he started a cult at the start of Covid where they didn't realise there was an ongoing worldwide pandemic until like a month after it had spread across the globe.

The Nicholson, Romero and Ledger Jokers were all so superior in every single way, and were all unique and relevant to their respective films and Batmans.

The Leto Joker was never going to work regardless of the time he got. 

Burn After Reading - Coen Brothers (2008)

Men and women driven by greed and stupidity ruin each other and their own lives. I think John Malkovich might be my favourite actor with great performances by Brad Pitt, George Clooney and Frances McDormand. Tilda Swinton is disturbingly tidy.

I think the general momentum of this movie and J.K Simmons (great) reactions to the developing plot is maybe the most accurate portrayal of the history of the CIA’s interventions throughout history. Dumb, ignorant and plugged with bundles of cash when the fallout reaches their desk.

8/10

There's a fillum on iPlayer right now called 'Molly's Game', true story about Molly Bloom who set up high roller poker games in LA and Noo Yoick for the Hollywood A-listers, Wall St criminals and Russian mobsters and ended up in court for her troubles. Not a bad film TBH although I'd never heard of the woman.

Started listening to audiobook of her story, in which she actually names the film stars and hedge fund managers who attended her games.

One particularly odious actor creep stands out. 🤮

46 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

There's a fillum on iPlayer right now called 'Molly's Game', true story about Molly Bloom who set up high roller poker games in LA and Noo Yoick for the Hollywood A-listers, Wall St criminals and Russian mobsters and ended up in court for her troubles. Not a bad film TBH although I'd never heard of the woman.

Started listening to audiobook of her story, in which she actually names the film stars and hedge fund managers who attended her games.

One particularly odious actor creep stands out. 🤮

Wow, Tobey Maguire sounds like an utter shit.

Unhinged (2020)

Enjoyable enough, I thought the first half was much stronger than the second, and for one main reason.

It all started to become a little bit ridiculous, most thrillers like this do. Between not getting caught or seriously injured far earlier in the film, I found myself wanting it to be wrapped up pretty quickly, after enjoying it and being well sucked in for 45 minutes.

Russell Crowe plays the ominously dangerous stranger well and they should have used this more IMO.

I also thought the ending was a bit shit; her little catchphrase while planting the scissors in his eye was a bit cringeworthy and unnecessary, and the way the police just took a quick statement before sending them on their way was a bit unsatisfying as a conclusion. Not to mention the boy’s little quip about not beeping her horn being a bit daft.

Saying that, I liked how the film was concise and wasn’t padded out with a back/side story (which isn’t always a bad thing, but this film suited the straight-to-the-point plot).

7/10.

Being at the cinema socially distant was fantastic. Barely anyone there, nobody near you and you didn’t have to get up for folk going back and forth for a pish during the film.