What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Ron’s Gone Wrong

An Apple-type company release a new device that’s a permanent companion to kids. One boy at school doesn’t have one so his dad buys him one that literally fell off the back of a lorry. It’s wonky but that eventually makes it better than all the perfect one. Plenty of laughs, a few tears.. really terrific stuff. 

20 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I saw Love Actually for the first time today, in full at least. My god, it is proper shite. 

The scene where Rowan Atkinson prepares a gift is excellent, up there with other great comic set pieces.

The rest is a really fine cast making the best of some truly daft (and at times sinister) stories. I want to hate it more than I do, given how schmaltzy and emotionally manipulative it is, but Laura Linney is gorgeous and Emma Thomson is marvellous in it. Bill Nighy steals the show though.

Still utter shite, but solid gold shite.

2 minutes ago, velo army said:

The scene where Rowan Atkinson prepares a gift is excellent, up there with other great comic set pieces.

The rest is a really fine cast making the best of some truly daft (and at times sinister) stories. I want to hate it more than I do, given how schmaltzy and emotionally manipulative it is, but Laura Linney is gorgeous and Emma Thomson is marvellous in it. Bill Nighy steals the show though.

Still utter shite, but solid gold shite.

Yes, I found the scene with Atkinson preparing the necklace one of the few redeeming features about the whole film. 

22 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

It’s very, very on the nose, but Don’t Look Up is very enjoyable. Jonah Hill and Ron Perlman steal every scene they’re in.

Not seen it yet but anything with Perlman in it is worth watching.

... except Beauty and the Beast, of course....

Edited by sfha

I watched Midsommar last night. 

What an utterly odd film. I definitely laughed at some parts that I probably wasn't supposed to find funny, like when the old guy didn't die from the cliff ritual so needed to be bonked on the head by the mallet. Still, it must have had something as usually a film of that length will have me zoning out towards the end but it kept me engaged throughout. 

Don't Look Up (2021)

Look I get that it's satire and a very thinly veiled dig at the attitudes towards climate change but I didn't care much for it at all, as someone else said "it's like a slapstick version of Armageddon".

LDiC looks like Leonard from TBBT, Mark Rylance's character is as annoying as fuck (although that's testament to him being a fine actor) but both Meryl Streep and Cate Blanchett are MILF-tastic.

On 25/12/2021 at 23:23, J_Stewart said:

It’s very, very on the nose, but Don’t Look Up is very enjoyable. Jonah Hill and Ron Perlman steal every scene they’re in.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of political criticisms of it as doom-laden and accepting of our inability to truly change things but, also, look at the guy's work before. Go to someone else if you want that he's very good at depicting why we are where we are now. I felt it certainly achieved that, and the ultimate message of the worthwhile things being spending good times with family and loved ones is apolitical but also probably true!

It was pretty bloated though, and dragged towards the middle. Probably the weakest of his most recent three films but he'll struggle to make anything as good as the Big Short again, peerless

On 25/12/2021 at 13:41, killiepiemuncher said:

Casablanca……again. Love it, an absolute classic. I think I’ve seen it every year for the last 30+ years, it’s just a perfect film. 10/10.

Absolutely. 

Absolute perfection. Especially the ending. 

Edited by oldbitterandgrumpy

4 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Don't Look Up (2021)

Look I get that it's satire and a very thinly veiled dig at the attitudes towards climate change but I didn't care much for it at all, as someone else said "it's like a slapstick version of Armageddon".

LDiC looks like Leonard from TBBT, Mark Rylance's character is as annoying as f**k (although that's testament to him being a fine actor) but both Meryl Streep and Cate Blanchett are MILF-tastic.

Admittedly I'm a bit shallow, but I really enjoyed it. The Streep/Trump character was hilarious. Mark Rylance is indeed a good actor. What's not to like about that film? It's just a couple of hours of escapism. 

Edited by oldbitterandgrumpy
forgot to remove full stop and insert question mark.

On 27/12/2021 at 14:05, DrewDon said:

I watched Midsommar last night. 

What an utterly odd film. I definitely laughed at some parts that I probably wasn't supposed to find funny, like when the old guy didn't die from the cliff ritual so needed to be bonked on the head by the mallet. Still, it must have had something as usually a film of that length will have me zoning out towards the end but it kept me engaged throughout. 

I think you're supposed to find them funny. Ari Aster has a sense of humour. The cinema I was in was laughing a lot (a bit uncomfortably I guess?) at those scenes.

23 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Yeah, I've seen a lot of political criticisms of it as doom-laden and accepting of our inability to truly change things but, also, look at the guy's work before. Go to someone else if you want that he's very good at depicting why we are where we are now. I felt it certainly achieved that, and the ultimate message of the worthwhile things being spending good times with family and loved ones is apolitical but also probably true!

It was pretty bloated though, and dragged towards the middle. Probably the weakest of his most recent three films but he'll struggle to make anything as good as the Big Short again, peerless

This feels like it's in direct conversation with Adam Curtis's stuff. That interview from 2019 between the two where Curtis says "baby boomers [are] projecting their own fear of mortality onto the planet…trapping us in the depressed mind of a dying hippy" feels like it's a criticism that could be levelled against this. 

Anyway, I saw The Matrix Resurrections and loved it. Neo is Lana Wachowski and Trinity is her love of creating held hostage by the corporate machine. The love for this will depend entirely on how much someone loves incredibly on the nose meta commentary but the targets for criticism are all deserving. It's funny that Ben Shapino hates it given Neil Patrick Harris quotes him at length.

I get that Adam Mckay doesn't do subtlety but I wasn't particularly enamoured with Don't Look Up. It's okay - not good but not terrible - and I laughed a few times but it was about 30 minutes too long.

On a separate note, I saw West Side Story last week and enjoyed it. It does some things better than the original and misses the mark with others. I actually liked Ansel Elgort's version of "Maria" but he was a bit of a personality vacuum. On the other hand, Ariana DeBose as Anita was, by some distance, the stand-out performance.