What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I think they call it "Stormtrooper Accuracy".

It annoys me too, because it's so, so lazy. You need your protagonists to get from A to B while being pursued, so come up with a reason why the villains don't just shoot them in the back, even if it's just smart use of cover. One you've seen a few hundred sequences where it's painfully obvious that the hail of bullets have been written to hold no threat whatsoever, it's as boring as having the characters pick out wallpaper for ten minutes.

In every film where this happens, you can guarantee it's been brought up at some point, only to be handwaved away by someone with no respect for their audience. Probably Michael Bay.

I haven’t read a single take on the action in the new Matrix movie. Everyone seems to be focusing on what it was trying to say which is definitely what I want from another movie.

Looking forward to seeing it. Especially after finishing the trilogy again. Revolutions isn’t perfect as an ending to the trilogy but it’s a lot better than the public opinion of it suggested.

Parts of it haven’t aged well but it’s such a sincere movie and moments like Trinity seeing the sun and the final one on one Smith/ Neo fight are superb and perfectly paced. Bane as Hugo Weaving is also such an uncanny impression that I thought it was dubbed at first.

I had some problems with the battle for Zion but one thing I liked is I knew what the plan was, I thought it sold that the humans were effectively deliberately caged in for the purpose of being exterminated and even little touches like them manually reloading the guns because there’s no thinking machines in Zion was class. Maybe it’s having the benefit of 2 decades of boring CGI laser battles that makes it look better now as compared to 2003 when the main point of comparison was the vastly superior and all time untouchable battles from Lord of the Rings.

I'll spoiler post the decoded Eyes Wide Shut

Spoiler

The film doesn't make any sense on the level you view it on. It's full of intentional continuity errors, unnatural acting and the obviously bizarre orgy.

It's adapted from a novella called Traumnovelle/Dream Story and there is an obvious dream logic to a lot of the film. The function of dreams is apparently to allow your brain to create memories based on whatever you have seen or been thinking about. So in Eyes Wide Shut everything we see is the dream version of what actually happened. In reality Bill and Alice go to an upper class swingers party then Bill goes to another party just for men where a prostitute dies and because of that he has to give his daughter to Ziegler and Alice goes along with it.

Sidney Pollack as Zielger is Epstein and Tom Cruise as Bill Harford is the people he recruited. Stanley knew.

Edited by Detournement

On 24/12/2021 at 08:28, KingRocketman II said:

yeah the bullet missing ratio really grated on me also. It is something that didn't use to bother me but is now doing so more and more - probably as getting older and start looking for faults in things rather than looking to enjoy ha.

But essentially find myself watching more and more action scenes and being completely bored shitless and that is down to the fact that there is no risk involved or threat to the main character. I know you can apply that to pretty much every major film where it is unlikely the protagonist will die half way through but action sequences such as those in the latter Mission Impossibles, Bournes or even the recent James Bonds can still be done well with an injection of risk - though the shoot-out at the end of No time to Die in particular slightly contradicts that.

Shooting thousands of bullets that result in at worse an occasional graze reduce every ounce of excitement or thrill. 

I suggest you avoid the "A" Team altogether.  Machine guns being used constantly but nobody gets hurt.

Apparently a response to complaints about too much violence on TV.  I would have suggested no machine guns.

Ron’s Gone Wrong

An Apple-type company release a new device that’s a permanent companion to kids. One boy at school doesn’t have one so his dad buys him one that literally fell off the back of a lorry. It’s wonky but that eventually makes it better than all the perfect one. Plenty of laughs, a few tears.. really terrific stuff. 

20 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I saw Love Actually for the first time today, in full at least. My god, it is proper shite. 

The scene where Rowan Atkinson prepares a gift is excellent, up there with other great comic set pieces.

The rest is a really fine cast making the best of some truly daft (and at times sinister) stories. I want to hate it more than I do, given how schmaltzy and emotionally manipulative it is, but Laura Linney is gorgeous and Emma Thomson is marvellous in it. Bill Nighy steals the show though.

Still utter shite, but solid gold shite.

2 minutes ago, velo army said:

The scene where Rowan Atkinson prepares a gift is excellent, up there with other great comic set pieces.

The rest is a really fine cast making the best of some truly daft (and at times sinister) stories. I want to hate it more than I do, given how schmaltzy and emotionally manipulative it is, but Laura Linney is gorgeous and Emma Thomson is marvellous in it. Bill Nighy steals the show though.

Still utter shite, but solid gold shite.

Yes, I found the scene with Atkinson preparing the necklace one of the few redeeming features about the whole film. 

22 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

It’s very, very on the nose, but Don’t Look Up is very enjoyable. Jonah Hill and Ron Perlman steal every scene they’re in.

Not seen it yet but anything with Perlman in it is worth watching.

... except Beauty and the Beast, of course....

Edited by sfha