What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

4 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I've just started watching Knives Out. I don't like Jamie Lee Curtis, I don't like Toni Collette and I don't like the modern kind of film which has lots of cuts and lots of Intelligent People saying Intelligent things and James Bond is talking like Foghorn Leghorn. Please try to convince me to keep watching. 

Haven't seen it, but I bloody will be after that assessment!

I've just started watching Knives Out. I don't like Jamie Lee Curtis, I don't like Toni Collette and I don't like the modern kind of film which has lots of cuts and lots of Intelligent People saying Intelligent things and James Bond is talking like Foghorn Leghorn. Please try to convince me to keep watching. 
This was reason enough for me tbh.ana-de-armas-1626771511.jpg

018 -- The Batman. Nolan's trilogy will always be the bar for Batman movies for me, but this came close. Robert Pattinson is a pretty great actor when he's not pretending to be a vampire and makes a far better bat. Colin Farrell is utterly unrecognizable even though I knew Colin Farrell is in the movie. Matt Reeves direction is spot on and for a dark movie where most every scene is at night, it's lit beautifully. The story is decent, although maybe some of the Riddler's riddles are kinda simplistic, and the whole thing (and particularly a bit around the two hour mark) reminded me an awful lot of Seven. It doesn't feel like a three hour movie, but that said it definitely doesn't feel like a 90 minute movie. 8/10

I honestly think Knives Out is the perfect Saturday night film. It's a great blend of sincerity and silliness, more the latter which made the former more impactful to me, wrapped up in a fun mystery with enjoyable characters.

The Hand Of God (2021)

Italian film directed by Paolo Sorrentino. I've seen one of his previous films The Family Friend so knew this was going to be a bit off the wall. Inspired by Cuaron's Roma it's basically a coming of age film set against the backdrop of Naples at the time Diego Maradona signed for Napoli. The first half of the film has loads of Fellini like imagery and freakish characters but after a family tragedy the film becomes more autobiographical with the main character Fabietto having to grow up quick and decide on his future. Not sure if it was intentional but did like a couple of Gomorrah character names cropping up, Gennaro and Little Monk.

7/10

4 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I honestly think Knives Out is the perfect Saturday night film. It's a great blend of sincerity and silliness, more the latter which made the former more impactful to me, wrapped up in a fun mystery with enjoyable characters.

It improved as it went on but the denouement lasted too long imo, it took about half an hour to explain what was pretty straightforward (and a bit dumb). Plus I just couldn't take Bond's accent seriously.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

You need to watch Knock Knock then...

Huh. I didn't twig that was the same lassie who got all the plaudits for the last Bond film.

I remember Knock Knock as the film in which Eli Roth got to film his wife having a threesome with Keanu Reeves. As fantasies go, it's probably a common one.

6 hours ago, BFTD said:

Huh. I didn't twig that was the same lassie who got all the plaudits for the last Bond film.

I remember Knock Knock as the film in which Eli Roth got to film his wife having a threesome with Keanu Reeves. As fantasies go, it's probably a common one.

Don’t think Simon Mayo knew how to react recently when he was talking to Maggie Gyllenhaal about her directing her husband’s sex scenes with Jessie Buckley. Mayo’s angle was that it must have been odd but her take was that it was her little gift to him.

Targets (1968): Peter Bogdanovich directs a low budget movie about a mass shooter. The film has two separate strands that connect, one is Boris Karloff effectively playing himself as a star actor who no longer wants to make studio horror films. The other is an ex Vietnam vet who has went insane and goes on a rampage which is obviously inspired by the 1966 mass shooter Charles Whitman. A very prescient film in terms of PTSD, gun culture and Hollywood violence. Bogdanovich plays a thinly veiled version of himself in the movie and is quite a lively presence compared to his dry role in The Sopranos. 

La Haine 1995: A French drama following 3 banuielle youths the day after a major anti police riot. Absolutely brilliant.

Joker 2019: Despite it's bad rep these days I actually enjoyed it more than when I saw it in the cinema as back then I was looking for a message that everyone was freaking about but now I just admired Joaquin Phoenix and all the Scorcese/Schrader rip offs. 

Blood Simple 1984: The first Coen brothers film. It has two incredibly sleazy performances from Dan Hayada and M Emmet Walsh and Frances McDormand as an unfaithful wife who refuses to be a victim in a very unique way. Despite that I lost a bit of interest near the end as it played out by the numbers. 

Taxi Driver 1976: Back to the Schrader source. A movie so good he keeps on making it nearly 50 years later. Great performances, New York as a wretched hive of scum and villainy and Scorcese had the brains to make the ending ambiguous.

Just watched the documentary movie about the Canadian heavy metal band Anvil for the first time. Excellent - seems like they have enjoyed a bit of (relative) success following the critical acclaim the film received. They deserve it. Goodness only knows how their main man ‘Lips’ found the will to keep going, and going, and going again. Decade after decade.

The Suicide Squad (2020) - not to be confused with Suicide Squad. 

It was bonkers, silly and funny. I enjoyed it a lot, more than the Will Smith one. The big baddie starfish was like something you'd get in Legends of Tomorrow.