What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

257 Death Proof -- For a while it was so bad it was kinda funny as QT shoehorns easter egg after easter egg into this messy and rambling story about a psychopathic stuntman who kills women because that's how the movie can happen. There are some impressive stunts, the car crash in the middle of the movie is probably the best part of the thing, but so much of it is just tedious and the lengthy exchanges in the second half just drag on, like watching two hours of NASCAR. Not for me, and a definite lowlight of the QT movie catalog. 3/10

258 Road House -- Road House is of those demonstrably terrible movies that is difficult not to love. The premise that I never seemed to get far beyond is that lots of people in the movie have heard of two nightclub bouncers, because they're *that* good, unless of course, the plot dictates that they haven't heard of them. Bye-bye realism. Patrick Swayze is one of them who is hired to clean up the Double Deuce bar somewhere in Kansas (maybe), and he upsets the local hoodlums while winning the affections of the town doctor. It's nonsense. It tells you more than I probably care to share when I admit that I don't really remember much of the last twenty minutes from my teenage years as my interest kinda waned after Denise's little dance. I didn't miss much as all sense seems to be thrown aggressively out of the window by that point. But it's fun, and it's enjoyable, and not everything has to make sense. Right? 6/10

259 Inglourious Basterds -- Watching this for the first time since 2009, I expected it to come in high, which after Death Proof couldn't have come quickly enough, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I totally love this movie. The opening is an absolute masterclass in tension building from Denis Ménochet and, at the time, relative unknown Christoph Waltz. Incredible dialogue, beautifully lit and shot, edited perfectly, and still heartbreaking to watch. From there Tarantino gets star turns from Brad Pitt, Mélanie Laurent, Diane Kruger, and Michael Fassbender, as several threads eventually combine at the brutal Paris premiere of Nation's Pride, and while it's a pretty long movie, it never seems to drag and each segment pulls its weight. I thought this in 2009 and I thought it again during the rewatch that the appearance of Mike Myers was a distraction and I think I'd rather have not sat waiting for him to ask Michael Fassbender's character if he was horny, but this slightly weird bit of casting isn't enough to knock a half-star off. Brilliant stuff. 10/10

260 Paddington -- It's a perfect, charming wee movie that is only made less perfect because the sequel is even better. A delightful combination of fantastic CGI, a brilliant supporting cast, and a genuinely funny and heartfelt script. No matter how many times I see it, when Paddington is waiting outside the Lost & Found at the station, and the lights on Found are broken, then Mary Brown sees him and the word FOUND lights up again, it will always melt my heart. Just a beautiful movie that does its best to remind you that the world can be a lovely place. Even in That London. 9/10

261 The Iron Claw -- Why on earth did I think this was going to be a light-hearted comedy? Because spoiler alert: it isn't. I watched this on Christmas Day and for two hours it sucked all remaining dregs of the spirit of the season from me. The story of the Von Erich wrestling brothers is a true one. I'm only a somewhat casual fan of the 2000-ish era of WWE so I don't beat myself up too much for not knowing their story, but simply put, their domineering, ex-wrestler father barks orders and demands the best from them, and in return a series of the worst possible things imaginable is delivered. It's really hard to see beyond the terribly depressing story, but I think I'm done now with movies in 2023 that pretend to be filmed a few decades ago. The grainy stock (or maybe it was the crappy screen I watched it on) is becoming as overused as rich people being p***ks in a place was last year. I'm seeing lots of praise for the movie, and for Zac Effron's performance in particular which I have to admit felt workmanlike at best for me, and maybe I was in the wrong mood to see it, but I'd be amazed if this troubled any end of year lists except perhaps Best Depressing Movies About Wrestling and Toxic Masculinity of 2023, where it surely must have a chance. 6/10

Edited by MSU

I've been working my way through a lot of DVDs I've bought for pennys over the last year, recently watched standout 'Lucky' which was Harry Dean Stanton's last film reeased while he was still alive. Lucky is an outstanding film, highly recommended. You know you are getting old when this film boots you right in the feels. It has one of the best endings ever, iconic.

Watched Dune for the first time, impressed, big improvement on previous efforts, looking forward to the next one. Might finally get around to reading the books now.

Caught up with the last decade's Clint Eastwood films, most of these center around family relationships and based on true event types. Most are decent to just OK but nothing special. Have heard that his next film Juror No.2 will be his last. Retirement at 93?

Currently watching Eastwood's 'Trouble With The Curve' and next after that will be the Spike Jonze film 'Her', with Joaquin Phoenix. If I have time later today then 'A Bridge Too Far'.

22 hours ago, MSU said:

261 The Iron Claw -- Why on earth did I think this was going to be a light-hearted comedy? Because spoiler alert: it isn't. I watched this on Christmas Day and for two hours it sucked all remaining dregs of the spirit of the season from me. The story of the Von Erich wrestling brothers is a true one. I'm only a somewhat casual fan of the 2000-ish era of WWE so I don't beat myself up too much for not knowing their story, but simply put, their domineering, ex-wrestler father barks orders and demands the best from them, and in return a series of the worst possible things imaginable is delivered. It's really hard to see beyond the terribly depressing story, but I think I'm done now with movies in 2023 that pretend to be filmed a few decades ago. The grainy stock (or maybe it was the crappy screen I watched it on) is becoming as overused as rich people being p***ks in a place was last year. I'm seeing lots of praise for the movie, and for Zac Effron's performance in particular which I have to admit felt workmanlike at best for me, and maybe I was in the wrong mood to see it, but I'd be amazed if this troubled any end of year lists except perhaps Best Depressing Movies About Wrestling and Toxic Masculinity of 2023, where it surely must have a chance.

We've got to wait another couple of months for The Iron Claw to come out here, but I'll be honest, you've sold me on it despite the negative review. The trailer played before something I saw fairly recently and I'm pretty certain that tried to market it as more comedic, and the trailer was definitely mega grainy so I wouldn't blame your screening for that. 

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

We've got to wait another couple of months for The Iron Claw to come out here, but I'll be honest, you've sold me on it despite the negative review. The trailer played before something I saw fairly recently and I'm pretty certain that tried to market it as more comedic, and the trailer was definitely mega grainy so I wouldn't blame your screening for that. 

Which reminds me, I forgot to put my score on it. I don't think it's a bad movie, it's just not a great movie to watch on Christmas Day. Solid 6 on 10 for me.

I watched Saltburn last night and found it underwhelming, to be honest. I think failing to offer more insight into Oliver's motives was a pity, and the overriding 'point' - or message - was all a bit ambiguous (not in a good way, either). I thought everything about Felix's birthday 'gift' to Oliver, for such an important moment, was poorly executed, too. 

In all honesty, for all I have seen it billed in places as an 'anti-rich' film, I interpreted it more as a clumsy and fairly lazy warning to the upper classes about ruthless social climbers. 

Saying all that, it wasn't all bad. There were some very strong individual performances, the imagery was great, and it does have some funny moments. I don't think it is a dreadful film, but definitely a missed opportunity. 

6 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I watched Saltburn last night and found it underwhelming, to be honest. I think failing to offer more insight into Oliver's motives was a pity, and the overriding 'point' - or message - was all a bit ambiguous (not in a good way, either). I thought everything about Felix's birthday 'gift' to Oliver, for such an important moment, was poorly executed, too. 

In all honesty, for all I have seen it billed in places as an 'anti-rich' film, I interpreted it more as a clumsy and fairly lazy warning to the upper classes about ruthless social climbers. 

Saying all that, it wasn't all bad. There were some very strong individual performances, the imagery was great, and it does have some funny moments. I don't think it is a dreadful film, but definitely a missed opportunity. 

Agree with this tbh.

They seemed to spend overly long on a few of the "memorable" scenes, when some of that time could have been spent delving deeper into Oliver's character.

Spoiler

I can honestly say that I didn't need the entirety of the grave fucking scene to get the message

5 hours ago, DrewDon said:

We watched it last night. 

The script appears to be a terrible melange of 'Brideshead Revisited' and 'The Talented Mr. Ripley' with a bit of schlock messy sex thrown in for good measure. Plot holes abound and overall I found it to be a sloppy, self-induldent mess.

The acting was good, particularly Keoghan and Pike.

3.5 / 10

I was channel-hopping last night and saw some of a film called The Long Kiss Goodnight, which has Geena Davis and Samuel L. Jackson in it - it was so bad I had to check online to establish whether it was a spoof or not - absolutely fucking awful.

At the same time, there was a film on another channel called I Give It a Year, which has Rafe Spall, Stephen Merchant, Minnie Driver, and Olivia Colman in it - if anything, even worse than the above.

How do such bad films even get made in the first place?

2 hours ago, paranoid android said:

I was channel-hopping last night and saw some of a film called The Long Kiss Goodnight, which has Geena Davis and Samuel L. Jackson in it - it was so bad I had to check online to establish whether it was a spoof or not - absolutely fucking awful.

At the same time, there was a film on another channel called I Give It a Year, which has Rafe Spall, Stephen Merchant, Minnie Driver, and Olivia Colman in it - if anything, even worse than the above.

The Long Kiss Goodnight is class. 

4 hours ago, paranoid android said:

I recently watched something called Leap Year. It has Amy Adams in it. I genuinely don't think I've ever seen a bigger case of an actor playing down to something as this. Ghastly.