What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I really need to watch this again. I couldn't really decide but I think I liked it.

That was my thinking. I know that I enjoyed it, but I'm just not too sure why....

Probably has to do with Robert Downey Jnr be his usual excellent self. I mean who better to play a tripped out drug addict?

The Usual Suspects

There are some awesome scenes here, but I tend to think that this is a little overrated. Definately not a movie I'm willing to give the full whammy to. It's still a brilliant piece of film making, but there are some scenes that I thought just didn't work. The original meeting with Kobayashi for one bugged me, and Gabriel Byrne was worse than usual. However, with the interrogation, you had some cracking stuff, and most stuff worked well.

8/10

Scanners (1981)

5/10

Far too early (with modern CGI it might have worked) to make a film with a fairly advanced concept, and certainly far too small a budget to make it anywhere near what it could have been ($3.5 million)

Think I'll watch a couple of other Cronenberg films in the next couple of days (got the Fly and Videodrome), to see if they can improve on the dismal efforts that were Scanners, Crash and Dead Ringers.

Scanners (1981)

5/10

Far too early (with modern CGI it might have worked) to make a film with a fairly advanced concept, and certainly far too small a budget to make it anywhere near what it could have been ($3.5 million)

Think I'll watch a couple of other Cronenberg films in the next couple of days (got the Fly and Videodrome), to see if they can improve on the dismal efforts that were Scanners, Crash and Dead Ringers.

I predict you will hate Videodrome :lol:

I'll need to watch Videodrome actually again. Been a while, but enjoyed it a bit the last time.

Eastern Promises

This will be my second review of this film on here. Basically, if I watch a film twice and give it the same rating twice, I can be assured that this is the final rating of said movie. I gave it 6 the last time and it will get the same this time. The same criticisms come after viewing two, as in it is needlessly violent during the bath-house scene, but at the same time, that scene is very good, thus cancelling it out. So then you have the question, how good is this movie ? Well, I'll go into more detail this time.

Viggo Mortenson is up for an Oscar, and you can see why. His character is absolutely vicious to start with, and the morph into a more sensitive character is nice to see, but then you realise exactly why this has happened. It's a nice performance from the guy, although a strange one to see being nominated. The storyline inside the Russian lot is absolutely boring, and you never feel any threat for them, and the only real threat comes from Viggo himself. That's the main flaw here. Naomi Watts and her family here are the ones who get you involved. Especially the uncle who, while being a racist bugger, gets your sympathy after a while.

6/10

Dracula III: Legacy (2005) (V)

6/10

The Hitcher's Rutger Hauer as Dracula this time (Stephen Billington in II, and Gerard Butler in the first film), as well as Jason Scott Lee and Roy Scheider... they put together a decent cast on a $3.2 million budget!

Not as good as Dracula 2001, or Dracula II: Ascension, but still pretty decent for a low budget straight to video horror.

Alien³ (1992)

8/10

Far better than the original, but not in the same class as Aliens.

Although the part of Dillon was made for Ken Foree, it would easily have been a 10 if they had managed to get him involved!!

even Di Caprio.

He's a top class actor, don't understand some of the abuse he takes.

24 Hour Party People

To be honest this could have been done so much better. I'm a big Partridge fan and thought Steve Coogan was a good choice for the role, but whether it was the writing or him it just didn't work for me. Probably because I care more about Joy Division than I ever will about any other part of the movie. Actually quite liked the regular updates Coogan gives in real time, but the rest of the movie, in attempting to portray the madness of the 'Madchester' scene, just gets lost in amongst itself and falls over itself too often for my liking. A decent movie, fun spotting minor UK TV celebrities with some good acting but poor writing/direction pulls it down to

4/10

Still, at least it reminded me to go out and get Control.

A Scanner Darkly

Pretty fucked up drug movie, and even weirder by the trippy animation technique used. I loved the scenes where they're just basically talking nonsense whilst on "Substance D".

I'm not 100% that I "got" it, but I'm still giving it a 7.5/10.

Actually it's not animated at all, what they do is record the whole thing in the normal way, then paint over the film. It's actually quite different from animation. I didn't think the film needed the whole rotoscope thing, and I am not entirely sure how much there is "to get", but I agree with your rating.

I just watched The Silence of the Lambs - after seeing Jonathan Demme's Neil Young movie. I's forgotten how creepy this movie is, and how influential it was on movies like se7en. 8/10

Guest PureGallus
Darren Mackie - Get it roond ye :thumsup2

lol i genuinely thought Aberdeen deserved it they were brilliant plus their my 'B' team so it doesn't bother me that much :D

Actually it's not animated at all, what they do is record the whole thing in the normal way, then paint over the film. It's actually quite different from animation. I didn't think the film needed the whole rotoscope thing, and I am not entirely sure how much there is "to get", but I agree with your rating.

I just watched The Silence of the Lambs - after seeing Jonathan Demme's Neil Young movie. I's forgotten how creepy this movie is, and how influential it was on movies like se7en. 8/10

I did know how they filmed the movie.

Rotoscoping :P

Hellraiser: Hellseeker (2002) (V)

The sixth part of the series was still pretty decent, and good to see Ashley Laurence back, after a gap of 14 years, although they must have spent a lot on getting her as there wasn't much Pinhead in this one!

A new director with a penchant for flashbacks maybe wasn't the best idea, and to give him a further two after this one might turn out to be a disaster... although he did get Katy Winnick :wub: for Hellraiser 8 :D

6/10