What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Has anyone seen the film, Noroi the Curse? Been trying to source it but can only find region 3 DVDs online or copies that are overly expensive. It's meant to be one of the most terrifying films Asia has produced. Wondering if its any good?

Now You See Me

I really enjoyed this one. Great acting all round, Harrelson was probably the best but it was nice to see Eisenberg play someone with a bit more character, he played that role well, even if he was a complete p***k.

Naturally, it's all about the ending.

I didn't see it coming, obviously it was building to something but I thought it'd be the reveal that Lionel Shrike didn't die and it was him who was behind it all. So I wasn't far off but didn't think it'd be Ruffalo.

Enjoyable. I sense it's a bit like The Prestige where the film is so much about the twist that it won't be as good with repeat viewings. I guess that part remains to be seen with this one.

8/10 - at the moment at least.

World War Z - 5/10

It's entertaining but has so many things that are just daft. Anyone that pairs up with Pitt (family, soldiers, scientists) are complete chumps, for instance. The continuity is weird - the world's infested with zombies, but Pitt can travel from A to B, across hundreds of miles, without them showing HOW. The dialogue is pretty stupid, the characters TELL US what we're actually seeing. Ends totally abruptly as well. Despite that, it's quite good fun, not boring. Fairly innocuous fodder.

Edited by Christophe

Oliver Twist

(David Lean's adaptation of the novel)

Classic story very appropriately done, complete with an annoying posh boy playing Twist, but for me it lacked any sort of stand-out quality, with the obvious exception of Alec Guinness, who plays Fagin perfectly. Robert Newton is far from understated as Bill Sykes, in fact his over-acting regularly verges on the comical.

This was Lean's second Dickens adaptation and as expected the flashes of genius from behind the camera are there to see. It's far darker and more authentic to the novel than the 1968 musical was, which got me on board straight away, but there is a distinct lack of the magic Lean produced with his best known work, it's nowhere near them in terms of quality.

Probably a one-watch, which is never a compliment.

6/10

The Sugarland Express

One of the earlier Spielberg works, this is a unique turn on the partners-on-the-run story. Lou Jean and Clovis are loveable all over, played to perfection by William Atherton and the superlatively adorable Goldie Hawn, and although they are criminals on the run, their motive makes them all the more likeable- from a prison break to a hostage situation, all they want is to get their child back and be together as a family.

I won't go into further details of the plot but it begins excitingly and continues at the same pace and standard throughout, with twists and surprises all the way, with tension and drama sewn nicely into it. It isn't one of his masterpieces, the content isn't exactly Jaws, but the young Spielberg did an excellent job of it.

7/10

Cars

This film has a reputation as one of the lesser Pixars, and understandably- firstly, the concept doesn't really stand up to any of the others; although John Lasseter's special interest subjects of cars and small town America are both written and animated very well, it's not as exciting or emotionally involving as just about any other of his works. As per every Pixar film, every character is a creation of genius, right down to the detail of the paintwork and how they move- Doc Hudson is one of the best old has-beens they've ever animated and Mater has got to be my favourite character in the film- they could easily have set the whole thing in Radiator Springs with him as the main character, and I'd have loved it.

Lightning McQueen, though, didn't do it for me as the film's protagonist, and although he definitely changes for the better as he meets his new friends, I never felt as attached to him as the best heroes, so much that rather than rooting for him I found I just wanted Chick Hicks not to win. Therein lies the moral message of the film though, that winning isn't the most important thing.

Every Pixar fan, which is to say everyone, should give this film a watch (I can't believe it's taken me 7 years to get round to it) but don't get your hopes up too much; it's a fun ride but a forgettable one, it didn't stay with me like Toy Story or Wall-E.

6/10

From Up On Poppy Hill - 8.5/10

It's sitting on a 7.2 on IMDB and has received a bit of a mixed reaction among some Ghibli fans. I read some pretty unfair criticism. All new Ghibli film will be compared to what has gone before though, and when several of those are absolute classics it's going to be a struggle to live up to expectations. I very much enjoyed it, and while I doubt it history will ever be classed among Ghibli's best you could say it's perhaps the best of the rest. I enjoyed it more than Porco Rosso, Whisper of the Heart and perhaps even Howl's moving Castle. It's not up there with Nausicaa, Spirited Away, Laputa, Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies or Only Yesterday but it's a very enjoyable watch. I very much like the setting of Yokohama in 1963, and the animation is generally fantastic. It's about a group of student's efforts to save their clubhouse which the board want to tear down. It's also about the main character's unusual family life and her love interest. Now the wait for The Wind is Rising's release over here...

ETA. Animation beautiful as is usual for Ghilbi...

tumblr_m60124bUxF1r00g3do1_500.giftumblr_mdv6sxUzng1qehmh1o1_500.giftumblr_ma7q6kseQ61rt479bo1_500.giftumblr_mi6xv2jiaM1rr56cmo1_500.gif

Edited by Enigma

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)

Saw that it was on iPlayer so decided to give it a watch. I really loved it, a fantastic film. Just a shame it's not exactly all that cheerful..

I could have strangled that nurse myself at the end <_<

9/10