What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

'Now you see me'

After the first 30 mins I would have given it a 9/10 as it was the beginnings of an excellent movie.

After that it slowly started going downhill fast to the point that it turned into a movie with car chases etc in it which was totally out of place with the sort of movie it promised to be.

Everyone loves a good movie based on magic, and if its done properly then it's magnificent. More often than not though the reveal is always a complete cop-out that wastes every bit of investment you've put into the previous 2 hours.

This had seriously one of the worst endings ever that made absolutely no sense and completely ruined the movie. They could have ended the film in a much simpler way that made sense but tried to be too smart but they mistook being smart for doing something so stupid and unrealistic that no one would ever think of it.

I feel the exact same way in this movie as I felt after watching the prestige. Cheated and having wasted 2 hours actually enjoying a movie only to have it ruined by a cop-out ending.

2/10 for at least having the opening 30 minutes which was great.

Upstream Color : second film by the guy who did Primer. He directs, produces, writes, acts, scores and probably grips as well. It's a very WTF film, quite hard to describe, except to say it's a vaguely sci-fi movie that's also a crime film, that has a 'love' story at its heart, but that it mixes all this stuff up and cuts the narrative up and is very obviously 'arty'. Gets you thinking and is rather spellbinding.

9/10

Edited by Christophe

Silent Souls 8.1/10

Film set in desolate north west Russia about a bloke whose wife dies and with a friend they go on a three day ritual to commit her body. Rich with folklore and tradition and metaphors involving birds and water and other stuff. I found this lyrical and moving.

Manic - 6.5/10

2001 independent film featuring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel. Interesting to see them in the early stages of their careers in roles so far removed from their current work. Don Cheadle also played a prominent role and Michael O'Neill featured briefly. I watched it all on YouTube. Despite its amateurish appearance it's a decent watch.

After seeing this I decided to watch (500) Days of Summer. Not the type of film I'd usually watch and I did struggle with it at times but ultimately I quite enjoyed it. I'm planning to re-watch it over the next couple of days to try to get to grips with it a bit more but on first viewing I'd probably give it 7.5/10.

Also watched The Departed which was way more up my street. What a film. First time I'd watched it and I went in with pretty high expectations but it completely surpassed those. Despite having only watched it once I'd probably say it's my favourite film ever. 10/10 unquestionably.

After seeing this I decided to watch (500) Days of Summer. Not the type of film I'd usually watch and I did struggle with it at times but ultimately I quite enjoyed it. I'm planning to re-watch it over the next couple of days to try to get to grips with it a bit more but on first viewing I'd probably give it 7.5/10.

I fucking hated it the first time I watched it, now I love it. Definitely better on the second viewing.

Got plenty of use from my Cineworld card today...

2 Guns ( 2013 )

It was pretty much what I was expecting from it. Guns, explosions, witty lines and good performances. Wahlberg in particular was a lot of fun, but Bill Paxton was brilliant as well, and we didn't see nearly enough from him.

6/10

You're Next ( 2011 )

This is a bit brilliant this. The first ten minutes left me asking "Am I supposed to be taking this seriously?" and then the question was soon answered with a resounding "no!" and things just kept getting better from there. Some amazing timing in places, some cracking ( and at times hilarious ) nods to movies past and a little present, and then of course there are the deaths, a couple of which you don't know whether to cringe or roll around the floor laughing. VERY impressive movie.

9/10