What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I thought Anchorman 2 was hilarious. Although there seems to be a lot of people who say they hate it simply because its against the grain

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Slightly better than the original, probably helped by the fact that the action started from the off. Although the barrel scene was a lot of fun, the film was roped by poor pacing, and I found my attention waning at multiple points. If the film had finished at the entrance of the mountain, or there and thereabouts, I'd have been incredibly happy with the film. However it continued to drag on, my arse got assaulted by the shitey cinema seats and I began to fall asleep.

Was bored out of my wits by all of the stuff with Smaug, probably because all of the CGI had wore off on me and I just wanted it to end.

Can't help but think that they could've done Bilbo leaving the Shire to reaching the mountain in one film, cutting out all the pointless crap like Radagast.

5/10

Anchorman: The Legend Continues

Huge fan of the original, and although this one wasn't as good, it followed on nicely and managed to fulfil my want for juvenile gags and borderline humour. The wee kid was a bit nippy but it is a worthy sequel to the original. Plenty of memorable scenes.

7/10

Watched Control, the film about Ian Curtis and Joy Division

Don't know how truthful it is in some parts but it was certainly very well made, maybe not a film for the pessimist, very British film.

Makes you realise just how unhappy a person Curtis may have been

Watched Good Vibrations somewhat belatedly during a transatlantic flight recently. If you are going to tell the story of Belfast's punk scene in the late 70s I think you need more SLF related content than a couple of songs on the soundtrack and it's a bit disingenuous to try to imply that punk and new wave in Northern Ireland was completely divorced from what was going on politically at the time given what The Undertones ultimately wound up doing during the Hunger Strike. Basically a film that lost its way by focusing on what should really have been a minor bit part role at best. I guess Terri Hooley was the person that was willing to sign over the film rights to their life story and the likes of Feargal Sharkey and Jake Burns had no interest in doing that.

The Spectacular Now

8.5/10

Didn't expect much but this was a great film and propelled itself into my top 5 of the year so far.

Great story, great acting by the two young lead stars, good subplots and even support from Saul from Breaking Bad and Bubbles from The Wire.

Watch it - you won't regret it.

In currently watching Soccer Dog : European Cup on Sony TV.

Apparently the bloke is supposed to be scottish.

I'm preempting the rest of this and giving it -500.

I'm going to give it a wee watch on Sony+1, just to see how bad it really is.

Christopher Lamberts Scottish accent will never be "beaten" for me. It still makes me chuckle the confusion on my girlfriends face when I was explaining during the film that hes the Scottish one and Sean Connery is an Egyptian. The Sean Connery point was further worsened by the fact he was called Juan Ramirez :lol:

Anchor man 2. Really, really funny, but the story was basically non-existent. A bit like watching a family guy episode. 8/10

Ps: Ron's boss was a c**t, he should have kicked her in the pie when he had the chance. His son was also a painfully bad actor, deserves a slap.

Edited by Seymour Skinner

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Been desperate to see this for ages, I love myself a 'self discovery with weird events' type film. On the whole it was very good, started really well, lots of funny dialogue too and some great 'daydreaming' scenes. It sagged a bit in the middle, and the end wasn't great but the locations, the music and the general feel of the film meant that I enjoyed it all the way through.

I've always been a big fan of Ben Stiller actually, he is a very decent actor and is great in this (plus he directed it very well)

Would recommend it to anyone wanting a feel good film and one to just sit and watch and drift off too.

7/10

The Spectacular Now

8.5/10

Didn't expect much but this was a great film and propelled itself into my top 5 of the year so far.

Great story, great acting by the two young lead stars, good subplots and even support from Saul from Breaking Bad and Bubbles from The Wire.

Watch it - you won't regret it.

That looks right up my street. It's got Coach Taylor from Friday Night Lights in it as well.

Of course, so it does! It's a high school romance in the same way as 'Perks of being a Wallflower' was if that makes sense. Anyone who saw that will know what I mean, it's not a girly teen romance.

Perks of being a wallflower is probably one of my favourite films and books. Tremendous story.