What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Got round to watching The Wolverine the other day. Not sure what all the fuss was about tbh, just another show piece to try and cash in on Wolverine's popularity

When he loses his healing powers why the hell aren't his knuckles bleeding after taking out his claws? I know you can look at it and say well you know its a superhero film blah blah blah but even when they did a similar story in the cartoons he at least looked like he was in pain each time he had to do it

6.5/10

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

As a huge fan of the original, I thought it was good. There was a lot of cringy moments and Walter was so annoying (what I will say is that him crying on the beach is one of the most convincing cries I've ever seen!) but apart from that, I thought it was very funny.

The big park scene near the end was quality and although it got ridiculous, I was still laughing so it was doing its job.

6/10

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Great movie, it really well sets up the last movie which I can't wait for. At first I wasn't sure of Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug, but he was quite good at voicing him. The movie should have ended about 30 minutes before it did. But overall I really enjoyed this film.

9/10

I'm away to see Anchorman 2 tonight. :)

2 Guns - 5/10

Enjoyed the first half and thought it was pretty decent. Fell away badly and was pretty average.

Don Jon - 6/10

JGL and Johansson are pretty decent in their roles. It's a bit self indulgent but not a bad watch overall. Probably wouldn't want to watch again though.

Fruitvale Station - 7/10

Expected it to be slightly better given the critical acclaim it's received. Didn't know the story beforehand and was a very easy watch. Strong leading performance and solid support throughout.

The Butler - 7/10

Top stuff from Whittaker and a nomination cert for his performance here. Liked it better than I thought I would although felt a little bit long in places

Rush - 8/10

Very decent all round. Even for a non formula one fan.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Decent film, was a bit gutted when it ended though. Finished just like the Hunger games did. I just wanted it to keep going, stupid cliff hangers!

8/10

American Hustle

Just watched it and it was pretty decent. Wasn't sure what to expect really but a good job acting by all involved!

7/10

Went to see American Hustle today, strange film.

Christian Bale was trying to be Robert De Niro through the entire film, even nodding when he was talking a la Jimmy Conway in Goodfellas. Bradley Cooper managed to make me think he is a bigger p***k than normal, and Amy Adams was horribly miscast. Jennifer Lawrence however, was excellent. As was Jeremy Renner.

The film dragged a bit in the middle then they summed it up far too quickly.

5/10

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt. 1

Now, the other films have hardly been masterpieces but this was genuinely one of the most boring films I've ever had the misfortune to watch. Its a testament to how popular the books are that they managed to make a kids film this long where almost literally nothing happens. Turgid, turgid, turgid.

Lone Survivor

What a film! I know its just the start of the year but I would not be surprised if this won tons of awards. Some of the scenes made me wince for their pain.

Especially when they fall down the cliffs!

10/10

Edited by DavidMcG

Lone Survivor

What a film! I know its just the start of the year but I would not be surprised if this won tons of awards. Some of the scenes made me wince for their pain.

Especially when they fall down the cliffs!

10/10

I agree, best film I've seen this year.

9/10

Edited by DavidMcG

American Hustle - David O Russell has obviously been on a Goodfellas spree with this film borrowing heavily from that era's Scorsese style of film making, he's made a pretty decent Character driven piece here. I liked how the story told to Bradley Cooper by Louis C.K was pretty much the main arc for the two "brothers" of the film (Bale and Renner) 8/10

Out of the Furnace - A slow building movie with an amazing cast. Christian Bale stars (again) in another role where he is solid. 7/10

Apocalypse Now - What is there to say about this movie other than 10/10 I have the Redux version which bumps the length to over 3 hours still to watch which I'm looking forward to.

Elysium - Neil Blokamps follow up to District 9, not as great as D9 but keeping to similar themes of that film. Some cracking effects and a quite frankly batshit villain in Sharlto Copleys Kruger. Not a perfect film but an enjoyable "Hard Sci Fi" film based on an original(ish) concept. 6.5/10

I thought that The Desolation of Smaug was pretty poor - there is a lot of intrusive, ominous music and a lot of people acting uber-serious all of the time and (as in the first one) it lurches from action sequence to argument to another action sequence, abandoning all of the wit and charm of the novel (or indeed the LOTR films). I don't know if they think that Thorin, Beorn, Bard, Legolas, etc acting like miserable p***ks all of the time will create gravitas or makes us care about the quest, which is obviously nowhere near as significant as the one in LOTR, but it doesn't work. The endless physics-defying action sequences which are totally bereft of tension achieve boredom, as opposed to excitement. A bit more time spent on characterization would be nice. Martin Freeman, Stephen Fry and Smaug are decent, although the final scene with Smaug was pretty stupid and unnecessary and the film doesn't really resolve anything at all in its (overlong) 2 hours and 40 minutes. 4/10

I was pleasantly surprised by Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa. Although it wasn't laugh-a-minute, Alan wasn't quite s-a-d enough and Michael and Lynn were underused I probably enjoyed this a lot more than most film comedies I have seen in recent years, with some genuinely funny one-liners and a couple of really hilarious sequences. 7/10.

Edited by The OP

Mandela.

Fantastic film. I have a great interest in the life of Mandela so have been looking forward to this for some time, and they have really put together a great film. Its very balanced, it doesn't shy away from the ANC violence, or Mandela's adulterous behaviour and it isn't as cheesy as it potentially could have been. Idris Elba is a superb actor and puts on a great performance, as do the rest of the cast. The film looks great too.

8/10