What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Breadcrumb Trail 7.5/10

I kind of hate a lot of rock documentaries with their talking heads and their desperation to bang on about how great and important a work of art something is. This one, about Slint, has a little of that, but most of the people were there at the time and offer some kind of perspective into not necessarily just the band, but the kind of weird Kentucky scene that was happening at the time. In a way it tries to preserve the mystique (we don't really hear about Brian going mental after the band collapsed or anything about Pajo's rampant careerism) but it busts quite a lot of it open and reveals that they were just at the fortunate moment of a really chilled out youth with good parents, innate talent, no direction and a desire to do something a bit different. For every great idea they had, they had an equally indulgent one on tape (ie. a tape of Slint and David Yow having a contest to see who could do the longest farts). In a way it's kind of about Britt, the drummer, who wrote most of the stuff. He's kind of painted as a lost wanderer in the world, a natural maverick and mercurial genius figure who doesn't handle life the same way normals do ('Mouth Breather' is about him). In another it's kind of a nice portrait about a little scene populated with relatable types punching above its weight and falling apart as the real world advances. Recommended.

Ida 8.5/10

Pretty stunning film this, cinematography was as good as anything i can remember seeing, great performances, pretty devastating story. There was one part of the film that i thought was a bit of a misstep but apart from that pretty flawless.

The Green Prince 6.5/10

Doco about the son of a hamas leader who spent 10 years spying for Israel. Pretty interesting as far as it went, specifically in showing the mechanics of how someone spies in such a crazily dangerous situation as well as quite a lot on the relationship between spy and handler, which was really the centre of the film, BUT it totally glossed over why he did it and the general context that he did it in which seemed really odd and left a lot of unanswered questions. Worth watching though.

The Babadook. Tremendous, low-budget Australian horror which knocks spots off almost every high money Hollywood attempt made in decades. Genuinely unsettling, even if it wears its influences on its sleeves, which I guess is the point of the genre. 7/10

The Traveler - yep, just one 'l'. Val Kilmer shows up at a police station and confesses to six murders. You'll guess pretty much every beat of the film within the first ten minutes, and it's pretty thrill-free from that point on, becoming less interesting as it unravels. On the plus side, I'm definitely thinner than at least one former Batman, which is always a good thing to be able to tell the wife during sex.

The Colony - the world's a frozen wasteland, and the struggling survivors die from simple illnesses like the flu. When a nearby colony send a distress signal, Morpheus and co. venture forth to help, and all hell breaks loose in a bloody battle for supremacy. Engaging enough, but pretty forgettable, much like this paragraph.

Paddington

Went as part of our Christmas treat trip with our S1s and S2s. Despite having to watch it over the sound of 250 kids rustling crisp packets and bags of Haribo (that noise will stay with me forever it is that bad) the film was actually really pretty good. It was entertaining and funny with enough action and decent moments to keep everyone entertained. I'm of the age that I had Paddington stuff when I was really young so it was great to see a live action film that turned out to be so good.

42 9/10 The story of Jackie Robinson, first "coloured" MLB player, Really good film, even if, like me, you're not a fan of baseball. Could have been overly sentimental and clichéd but manages to avoid all that. Oh, and Harrison Ford is damn good in this.