What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Unbroken 9/10

Fantastic, just simply fantastic. Jack O'Connell is superb as an olympian who is involved in a fighter plane crash across Japanese waters during WW2. He endures nearly 7 weeks at sea before becoming a POW in Tokyo where hes tortured relentlessly by the devil like sergeant. One of the best films ive seen for a while, highly recommended

Gone Girl - 6/10 - This was clever in many places and was helped by some great performances from most of the main cast but ultimately it missed the mark for me in the end. The ending was just baffling to me but there was some great twists and turns throughout that were really good.

Edge of Tomorrow - 6/10 - Again another that was decent but missed the mark for me. Decent action set pieces and a cool premise but I just didnt click with it.

The theory of everything

New film about Stephen Hawking. Eddie Redmayne was excellent as Hawking and the music was brilliant. First time in the GFT too, very comfortable.

8/10

Watched two animes over the weekend too. Don't usually watch them but these were recommended, and were worth it.

Grave of the fireflies

Anime on how a boy and his younger sister coped during WW II in Japan. Excellent.

9/10

The wind rises

One of Miyazaki's. I download a couple but could only choose one to shove on my hard-drive and this was the lucky dip. Story about a guy and his two loves: to build the ultimate plane and a mysterious girl.

Very enjoyable 8/10

We Still Kill The Old Way - Brit Gangster/gangsta confrontation. Absolutely bugger all to recommend it, but weirdly watchable. Excellent concept with the old-school wide boys taking on the modern gang, but lost almost all potential between planning and screen. 3/10

Selma - MLK Jr. Biopic, centred around the bombing which killed 4 black children in Selma, the institutional denial of the vote to black citizens in Alabama, and the march to Montgomery shortly afterwards. I will be surprised if I see a better film this year. Profoundly moving, and shines a light on some recent history that the nation who now sees themselves as the world's Moral Arbiter would rather were left in the past. Obviously some liberties have been taken with events and timescales, but the essential message remains.

Absolutely superb. 9.5/10.

Love Eternal Sunshine. Not my kind of film at all, but I definitely felt like I was being seduced. Had a very French feel to it. Couldn't help but hope that Jim Carrey managed to get another chance at getting things right with the Winslet girl. Also the first time I realised that Carrey was capable of doing more than gurning like a loon. I like me some Kirsten Dunst, but was the scanty undies bouncing scene really anything to write home about? More spankworthy material in Spider-Man TBH.

I'm a romantic at heart, believe it or not.

Edit: Doha've a good time in the Emirate, Mozza. Any chance of catching a Saqr match while you're there? :P

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

The Trouble With Harry

This is a wee gem from Hitchcock, a departure from his usual style, it's a very funny story about a corpse found in a small New England community. The humour is quirky, dark, understated and appeals to my sense of humour. It also marks Shirley MacLaine's film debut and she does the comedy very well.

I forgot to watch out for Hitchcock's usual cameo so I'll need to pay more attention next time.

8/10

Birdman

This an insightfully educational, intelligently sardonic and frequently laugh-out loud funny film not only telling everything you need to know about show-business, but on top of that making several statements about the modern world, interpretations of the human psyche, even life itself, and on top of that simply a work of art by one of the most wonderful motion picture artists of our time, Alejandro González Iñárritu.

When the main character is alone in his dressing room he keeps hearing voices, which seem to be coming from his "Birdman 3" poster. He's an aging movie star having a crisis of identity, and he's put all his money into a serious Broadway play. The supporting players are all wonderful, not least Edward Norton in one of his very best performances to date, and Emma Stone, who is as bold and attitudinal as she is heartbreaking in the role of the troubled showbiz daughter. The cast of the Broadway production are all kooky, egocentric, emotionally unstable types, and although that stereotype lends itself to plenty of humour even in the strangest circumstances, underneath that they're clearly completely loathsome people. One of them even unashamedly attempts a terrible crime on another person, live on stage, without the audience knowing. In that sense it's not a million miles away from another great film about the mechanics of the theatre, Darren Aronofsky's Black Swan, but Birdman does it better.

The satire on showbiz is loud and clear but the film doesn't have to show too much of the backstabbing, sex and lies to get that point across. It's alluded to but we're never up to our necks in it- rather, throughout it all, the camera takes those things in its stride as it moves seamlessly across the stage with the actors, backstage through the theatre and even around the block, designed to create the illusion of the whole film being made in one shot- a bit like Hitchcock's Rope, only way more ambitious and with much better results. I can't begin to imagine what hard work it must have been for everyone involved.

As a bit of a connoisseur of cinematography, in my opinion this film is one of the most outstanding pieces of camera work to have come from the man who is currently the world's best in the field- there are many jewels in Emmanuel Lubezki's filmography but by anyone's standards this is one of his diamonds. That alone might have been enough for my pass marks, but as well as a feast for the eyes Birdman is as entertaining and cleverly-written a film as you'll see this year, touching on all kinds of themes relating to all kinds of people, and, like some other great films of 2014 (Gone Girl, Nightcrawler) offering an insurgent commentary on the state of modern media- although this film was brave enough to go one further, look its Hollywood colleagues in the eye and make a comment on the state of our movies, too.

Lastly, while there isn't a flaw in this film's cast or crew, and while I have endless respect for the Mexicans in charge of the camera, the star and the nerve centre of the entire film is the leading actor. As someone who has spent the last 25 years being defined by his own superhero role, this part was practically tailor-made for Michael Keaton. It's the definition of the term "the role of a lifetime" but the joke is on Keaton all the same, and at the age of 63 I should imagine it took a lot of courage for him to take it on. He absolutely nailed it- this is his masterpiece.

10/10

Foxcatcher

It isn't strictly "historically/factually accurate" in some parts but this... was... terrific. Steve Carell will get most of the plaudits (he's nothing short of incredible and deserves them) but Ruffalo and Tatum are both excellent - you expect Ruffalo to be solid but Tatum really surprised me. Too often do actors go totally overboard when a role like Du Pont comes along but Carell handles the role exceptionally. There's large swathes of the film without dialogue and the understated performances make it work.

A thoroughly engaging and gripping drama: dark, miserable, brooding. Bennet Miller has a potential modern classic on his hands here, it's another one of those "great American" films which takes a fairly bleak look at America. It's a film which really does (pardon the heavy handed pun/imagery) take a hold of you and doesn't let it go, until well after the credits roll.

One of the top three films I've seen for the 14/15 "awards season"

A

(Probably 4/4)

Birdman

Fucking amazing.

Technically outstanding with the continuous long takes. The soundtrack and sound editing worked perfectly too. Top notch performances from Keaton, Norton, Stone etc.

Love watching a film that feels really original, fresh and exhilarating.

Hope there's some competition to knock this off my top spot as it'll be a fantastic year for film if there is.

Foxcatcher (spoilerish stuff inbound)

Fantastic film and one of those that you couldn't get up from your seat with a mark out of 10 ready. The pacing seemed quite odd, which had me wondering where it was going for most of it. The first act (sort of) seemed minutes long, then you're in suspenseful build-up mode for all but the final few minutes. The pay off was worth it and the ending was stunning. Carell, Ruffalo and Tatum were all perfect for their characters. Ruffalo's one of my favourite actors on the go just now, his character's interview was one of those understatedly powerful scenes that he does as well as anyone.

I watched about half of Taken the other night. Absolutely fucking shite :lol: His voice man :lol: Nearly ended myself when he finds out his daughter's off following U2. Would like to see the rest of it, had a Face/Off hilariously pish quality.

I was coming on here to bum up Birdman, but I see Albion Rover has beaten me to it and has put it much more eloquently than I ever could. Agree word for word with what he said really, it's a really special movie.

I was going to use a similar comparison with regards to it being a bit like Black Swan, maybe with a touch of Filth for good measure, but you're right - it's significantly better than both those movies and hit the mark much more.

The entire cast were exceptional, but I think this will be remembered as Keaton's masterpiece, the role that brought Edward Norton back after a bit of a lull and Emma Stone's real break out performance. She's a very good actress, particularly in The Help, but she was simply outstanding in this. All the actors succeeded in making their characters likeable and extremely unlikeable at the same time.

10/10