What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Child 44

Went to the cinema to see this last night. It's an adaptation of the book by Tom Rob Smith.

The film starts with some scenes from the Holodomor, the devastating famine in Ukraine in the 1930s, showing starving children in an orphanage. It then moves to the Second World War and Tom Hardy's character, Leo, is part of the Red Army taking Berlin. He is selected to raise the red flag above the Reichstag and becomes a hero as a result.

The film then moves to the main timeline which has Leo as an MGD (KGB) agent. He tracks down those named as traitors or suspected of being such, interrogates and then executes them. We see that Leo has more of a heart than some of his comrades, as he intervenes to save two children following the extra-judicial execution of their parents. However, he is still a loyal officer and is shown enjoying the relative priviledges of life as an agent, with a relatively plush apartment shared with his wife Raisa (Naoomi Rapace). Leo's faith in the system is tested though by two events. The son of his friend and former comrade Vasilly is found dead next to a railway line - Leo is entrusted with sharing the report with Vassily as his friend is convinced that his son was murdered but the report states it was an accidnt. Leo sees the boys body and knows that the report is false and the death was murder but knowing that crimes like this are seen as being unthinkable in the Soviet Union he persuades his friend to stop protesting.

Following this his superior provides him with a file on his wife, who has been named as a traitor. Leo confides in his parents, who tell him to denounce her to save them all. Raisa subsequently reveals she is pregnant and Leo finds himself unable to denounce her so he writes a report stating her innoence and as a result both are exiled to a remote town, stripped of their prestigious jobs and given squalid accomodation. Faced with this, Raisa reveals that she isn't pregnant, lying to ensure that Leo spared her, and that she only married Leo out of fear of what would happen if she turned down an MGD agent.

Leo's new lowly role in the milita sees him present at the discovery of another childs body, bured in the forest - he tells his superior, Gary Oldman, that he has seen this before and manages to persuade him to investigate. The pair discover that there have been 43 such murders (hence the title) and the rest of the film takes the form of a race to catch the killer.

I kind of enjoyed the film - I'd read the book when it came out so had an idea of the plot (I couldn't remember it all) - but it had big flaws. The Soviet era is something that I find fascinating, I don't really see how people couldn't find it interesting and I found the portrayal of the 'doublethink' and terrifying calculation of the time convincing. Tom Hardy is excellent as Leo, his performance really conveys the conflict that most people must've felt. Rapace is also impressive as her character develops through the film. The problem is the storyline is too[/quote

Going to see this today, I haven't read the book so I'm going in not knowing much. My fiancé on the other hand absolutely loves the book so she has high hopes.

Left Behind - millions of people disappear simultaneously, leaving only their clothes behind.

Risible evangelical w**k-fantasy in which society instantly falls apart to a ludicrous degree as soon as the members of a bizarre Christian sect are removed from the populous. The ego-stroking central conceit is bad enough, but the film itself feels very much like a TV movie, with some dire acting from all concerned. Always fun to see Nicolas Cage having his ego p***ked by one of these dreadful shitefests that he regularly finds himself in, but unfortunately this doesn't quite manage to cross the line into so-bad-it's-good territory. At least it adheres to the old showbiz mantra about finishing on a song; an appalling and vainglorious song, but a song nonetheless.

Robocop - the remake. Enjoyed it a bit more on the second viewing, probably as a result of not comparing it to the original so much. Yon Kinnaman laddie actually does a good job of straddling the line between machine and man, and the morality of using robots as military peacekeepers is a nice additional plot element. The performances are universally good, actually, and spending more time exploring Murphy's relationship with his family from the other viewpoint was a smart move. Including Sam Jackson as a Fox News-style neocon anchor is a stroke of demented genius, and his final meltdown is glorious to behold.

So, a good film, taken on its own. Shame it didn't perform better at the box office, but on the plus side, it spares us any inevitably poor sequels.

The Wedding Ringer 7/10

Quite enjoyable comedy starring Kevin Hart as someone who is paid to act as a best man at peoples weddings. Kaley Kuoco stars as the bride but is a bit of a c**t unfortunately. In fact the girl that plays a stripper in it is a hell of a lot tidier and played Peppet Stieger in Neighbours. Her name is Nicki Whelan and she is stunning

Nurse Ratched is a bit of a c**t though.

It'd make for a very different film if she was some kind of agreeable sexpot.

You'd be wondering why Jack was so keen to leave, for one thing :P

Ida (2013)

Polish Oscar-award winning movie about a Nun who discovers that she is Jewish, who along with her aunt goes in search for their family. Really strange black and white film with the odd laugh. 5/10

The Prestige

Hugh Jackman & Christian Bale square off in this epic Nolan movie. 7.5/10

Hot Tub Time Machine 2

Im not sure i want to rate this. 99% of people will think this is the biggest pile of shite but it had me amused throughout. Its never going to get film of the year by any stretch of the imagination but it is what it is, i suppose

Snowpiercer 8/10.

South Korean sci-fi film based on a French graphic novel. Starring Chris Evans, John Hurt, Ed Harris, Tilda Swinton etc.

Enjoyable nonsense. The last survivors of a failed climate engineering experiment (an attempt to reverse global warming), which resulted in an Ice Age, are aboard a train that endlessly circles the frozen globe, powered by a perpetual motion engine developed by an eccentric entrepreneur (Harris). For some unexplained reason (perhaps a satire of the rigorously class bound British railway system), the passengers in the rear of the train are the lowest of the low, reminiscent of the exploited underclasses of a Dickens novel (the movie has a steampunk aesthetic), left to cannibalise each other until the 'powers that be' in the front part of the train, who enjoy a life of hedonistic decadence and luxury, develop some hideous protein bar composed of ground insects, which is then fed to the wretches on a daily basis. Population culls, child abductions and draconian punishments (such as forcing miscreants to stick their arm out of the train for 7 minutes, then shattering the frozen limb with a sledgehammer afterwards) are routine. Needless to say, an uprising occurs and the wretches from economy class wage war through the train, determined to confront the Machiavellian entrepreneur and the first class passengers at the front. Each successive carriage is a new surreal landscape, with the levels of luxury increasing exponentially as the rebels move relentlessly onwards.

It's reminiscent of Terry Gilliam's magnificent 'Brazil' and, indeed, John Hurt's character is called Gilliam. The film is patently nonsensical and requires a level of suspension of disbelief that borders on gullibility to enjoy. If you can accept the premise and the many implausible aspects of the movie, it's definitely a fun ride.

Edited by Frankie S

Snowpiercer 8/10.

South Korean sci-fi film based on a French graphic novel. Starring Chris Evans, John Hurt, Ed Harris, Tilda Swinton etc.

Enjoyable nonsense. The last survivors of a failed climate engineering experiment (an attempt to reverse global warming), which resulted in an Ice Age, are aboard a train that endlessly circles the frozen globe, powered by a perpetual motion engine developed by an eccentric entrepreneur (Harris). For some unexplained reason (perhaps a satire of the rigorously class bound British railway system), the passengers in the rear of the train are the lowest of the low, reminiscent of the exploited underclasses of a Dickens novel (the movie has a steampunk aesthetic), left to cannibalise each other until the 'powers that be' in the front part of the train, who enjoy a life of hedonistic decadence and luxury, develop some hideous protein bar composed of ground insects, which is then fed to the wretches on a daily basis. Population culls, child abductions and draconian punishments (such as forcing miscreants to stick their arm out of the train for 7 minutes, then shattering the frozen limb with a sledgehammer afterwards) are routine. Needless to say, an uprising occurs and the wretches from economy class wage war through the train, determined to confront the Machiavellian entrepreneur and the first class passengers at the front. Each successive carriage is a new surreal landscape, with the levels of luxury increasing exponentially as the rebels move relentlessly onwards.

It's reminiscent of Terry Gilliam's magnificent 'Brazil' and, indeed, John Hurt's character is called Gilliam. The film is patently nonsensical and requires a level of suspension of disbelief that borders on gullibility to enjoy. If you can accept the premise and the many implausible aspects of the movie, it's definitely a fun ride.

SPOILER ALERT^^^

Thats the entire plot of the movie FFS :lol:

I agree the movie has some moments and it's got good production values but it is absolute fucking nonsense.

It's probably all meant to be metaphors and other such BS but it's obviously whooshing me, other than a few good action sequences/ideas it's pretty bad.

I distinctly remember kids being part of the trains engine as the big twist, WTF? :1eye

Edited by Tommy Nooka

If you don't like spoilers, maybe you shouldn't quote the whole thing? Just an idea, mind.

Yeah because putting it in a spoiler tags or not quoting is going to stop people reading the post directly above it. :lol:

I see where your coming from but I'm not that bothered about spoilers (tend to avoid discussions of things I might spoil) it's just a bit much to post the Readers Digest version of the entire movie!