What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

What We Do in the Shadows

I gave up on the Scotland game at half time and came across this film on Netflix. Just like Kingsman, I really enjoyed this film. The whole scene with the police was great, as where the werewolves.

Although:

I will admit that I almost had something in my eye when Stu 'died'.

9/10. (The film gets a bonus point due to Rhys Darby). 

Try Housebound next. Bit different, but they make a really good double bill, and it has that winning comedy horror element that hardly any films get right.

Just watched Return of the Living Dead again recently, if anyone else is looking for another good example of the genre. Might try tracking down the sequels next.

Going to see The Conjuring 2 soon. The Conjuring is probably my favourite horror film, at least in the last 10 years. I'm a big fan of James Wan, Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga (:wub) so at the very least I imagine I'll like it. Hope it isn't a massive anti-climax after the first one though.

Btw folks, documentary called Tickled is getting shown tomorrow night on HBO. Got shown at Sundance and everyone loved it. About a guy from NZ who thinks he's found a funny thing about endurance tickling. Turns out what he's found is a pretty deep rooted criminal enterprise.

Btw folks, documentary called Tickled is getting shown tomorrow night on HBO. Got shown at Sundance and everyone loved it. About a guy from NZ who thinks he's found a funny thing about endurance tickling. Turns out what he's found is a pretty deep rooted criminal enterprise.

Do we get HBO over here? 

As far as I know their shows are broadcast on Sky Atlantic.

Tommy Nooka, on 16 Jun 2016 - 13:52, said:

Do we get HBO over here? 

As far as I know their shows are broadcast on Sky Atlantic.

Nah, but it'll be available to download from the usual TV places. They haven't got a UK distribution deal for it yet, so might be the only way to see it, and by the sounds of things, it's going to be worth seeking out.

Knight of Cups 7/10

I was feeling this for about an hour and then it started getting on ma tits a bit, Christian Bale barely speaks the whole film which gets pretty lol the longer it goes on, loads of wanky voiceover shit but as you would expect from a Malick film, it looks well good.

keywords: impressionistic, ephemeral, dreamlike, existential

Ivan's Childhood 7/10

First Tarkovsky film and his most 'normal'. Ivan is a kid who works alongside the Soviets to avenge the extermination of his community. He won't play ball or join the regular army. Later in the film we

hear he was hanged.

It's pretty dark and kind of dreamy, but there's also a lot of people in a room talking.

All Is Lost 9/10

1 x man, 0 x dialogue shitstorm wherein our man wakes in his yacht somewhere in the Indian ocean taking on water. Per-op-erly frustrating affair, knows exactly what it's doing too, good boating/survival nerdfest.

Just realised I've loads more to add so gonna bang them all out in a oner....

Stalker - 6.5/10

Wasn't quite as bowled over as I expected, maybe because it gets so hyped, interesting film tho.

Creep 7.5/10

Really excellent tiny cast handheld digital horror movie about manipulation and psychopathy, really excellently done, and nicely paced. The two main actors also wrote and produced. On Netflix, recommended.

The Arbor 7/10

About the life of Andrea Dunbar who died aged 29 and was best known as the writer of Rita, Sue & Bob Too, which drew on her experiences in the Buttershaw estate in Bradford. Incredibly harrowing throughout, and weirdened by having the actors lipsync to the real locals accounts occurances, also slightly confused by having some documentary footage in there too.

Woman of the Dunes 8.5/10

Japanese existential drama literally set in a dune where a woman spends her whole life. The dune is too deep to escape out of unaided and a visiting man ends up living out an extended period of his life there involuntarily. The dune must have sand removed every night in order to not be subsumed. This is a stunning film on many levels, not least the intense eroticism between the trapped man and the woman. Explores how home and belonging affect rationality, how irrational behaviour often stems from systems of living which make the universal irrational essential for survival. Also very beautiful.

I stuck with Creep but can't say I'd watch it again. A right slow burner. Having said that I would recommend it for the jaw-dropping scene near the end. And it my jaw literally dropped watching it. You'll know what scene I mean if you've watched it.