What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Watched a film on film4 last night called the company men. Very good wee film about the 2008 economic crash - and how corporate America crumbled.

Ben Affleck, Kevin Costner, and Tommy Lee Jones. If you liked 'other people's money' than this is worth a watch.

Wild Bill,  a London gangster(or maybe more accurately kitchen sink crime drama)  film directed by Dexter(press gang) Fletcher. I had the lowest expectations for this film when I decided to watch it after exhausting everything else on Amazon Video. Maybe it was because I watched it expecting a really terrible 'Lock Stock' style film, which is how it seems to have been promoted that I'm rating it so highly but I found it surprisingly excellent, I cared about the characters who were well written,the lead actor was particularly good, it was subtle if a bit predictable. Far more in the style of 'Sweet Sixteen' than the 'geezer gangster' films that populate Netflix and Amazon. 8/10

I remember being a bit disappointed by Candyman when it first came out, but it's grown on me since then. Saw it again a while back and it's better than most in the genre.

9 minutes ago, Kool Keith said:

Genuinely can't think what the last film I watched was, I only watch TV series' now.  Any good websites apart from IMDB for finding out about good films to watch - new/old, English speaking/foreign etc.

If you sign into Channel 4's All 4 there is a part of the site called 'Walter Presents' that picks the best of world drama. that you can watch on there , unfortunately with adverts.  I haven't watched any myself yet but it's only series that have won awards or been acclaimed. 

11 minutes ago, Kool Keith said:

Looks good, shame about the adverts.  Just been looking at the Roger Ebert site that looks very good from what I've seen.

You can't go far wrong with a Roger Ebert recommendation, his reviews are the first I look for on Rotten Tomatoes when trying to decide if a film is worth watching or not. 

2 hours ago, Kool Keith said:

Finally got round to watching LA Confidential.  Love mid 70's onwards neo noir and this was one of the best I've seen.

If you liked the film, which is brilliant and the only good James Ellroy adaptation out there, then you should read the book.  It is set over a far longer period of time and the character played by Kevin Spacey takes far greater prominence. James Ellroy novels can be hard work at times but this is one I couldn't put down. The director did a great job with the film because I'm sure it was considered 'unfilmable.' My favourite neo-noir is 'The Long Goodbye' with Elliot Gould being cool as f**k as Philip Marlowe.

The Long Goodbye is one of the best I've seen as well. Can't remember the name of the the recently made film that's supposed to be based on it, reviews weren't great. 

Watched a lot of  70s neo noir (bit of a wide genre) especially the ones set in NYC. Ones I'd been through most of them I moved onto the Cali based ones like TLG and others filmed elsewhere. Been meaning to watch more modern ones. 

Edited by Kool Keith