What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Science of Sleep

This film exclaims Michel Gondry's genius but also proves he is, well... quite mad

9/10

I take it this has finally been released? I've been waiting for this film for about a year.

I watched The Departed - I'll give it 8/10

I was kind of underwhelmed by Jaaaaack but was astounded by how much I enjoyed Di Caprios' performance as I usually detest the runt. Looks like I may have to re-evaluate (ie ignore) his earlier work.

Great film, loses a point because I've seen Infernal Affairs, loved Marky Mark's foul mouthed turn (another guy I usually hate)

Went to see Hot Fuzz at the weekend. Loved it, very funny 8/10

And the companion piece Point Break was on last night. Never a big fan of this film, bit too cheesy for my liking and I'm not a fan of Swayze. Passed the time though and I've been to Bell's Beach so the ending is always nostalgic for me. 6/10

The Number 23 - 2/10.

Good acting from Jim Carrey, but the whole thing about everything in the world adding up to 23 just started to annoy the hell out of me, especially as how tenuous they were!

Watched the Terry Gilliam film "Brazil" last night, had been meaning to see it for a while.

It's a depiction of Orwellian dystopia set "sometime in the 20th Century", where society is being governed by the Ministry of Information, and stars Jonathan Pryce as a clerk in said ministry caught up in the paperwork, but with romantic fantasies of escaping. He starts to go a bit nuts when he discovers the real life woman who he has seen in his dreams, and starts to break the rules to try and save her from arrest, leading to his inevitable downfall.

The acting is excellent, Pryce is brilliant as the straight-laced lead, and there are amusing cameos from De Niro and Bob Hoskins. While the depiction of the future is not surprisingly outdated for a 20+ year old film, it's quite refreshing to see a time where such a film wasn't over-egged with ridiculous CGI. The ending is perhaps a little drawn out, but it's quite darkly funny throughout.

8/10

Guest Kincardine
Watched the Terry Gilliam film "Brazil" last night, had been meaning to see it for a while.

It's a depiction of Orwellian dystopia set "sometime in the 20th Century", where society is being governed by the Ministry of Information, and stars Jonathan Pryce as a clerk in said ministry caught up in the paperwork, but with romantic fantasies of escaping. He starts to go a bit nuts when he discovers the real life woman who he has seen in his dreams, and starts to break the rules to try and save her from arrest, leading to his inevitable downfall.

The acting is excellent, Pryce is brilliant as the straight-laced lead, and there are amusing cameos from De Niro and Bob Hoskins. While the depiction of the future is not surprisingly outdated for a 20+ year old film, it's quite refreshing to see a time where such a film wasn't over-egged with ridiculous CGI. The ending is perhaps a little drawn out, but it's quite darkly funny throughout.

8/10

I saw Brazil when it first came out and didn't think much of it. However, after reading what you just posted and hearing Michael Palin talk about its making recently I must rent it.

I had the misfortune to take the weans to see Charlotte's Web over half term. Overly-sentimentalised, maudlin, saccharine dross. I took them straight home and made bacon rolls.

1/10

I saw Brazil when it first came out and didn't think much of it. However, after reading what you just posted and hearing Michael Palin talk about its making recently I must rent it.

The film suffered appallingly at the hands of Universal who chopped Gilliam's original 142 minute version into a 90-odd minute version dubbed the "Love Conquers All" version which edits out most of the violence and ends with Pryce and Griest (Jill) flying off into the sunset when Pryce is doing his Icarus impression...mad!

Agree with ColinM about the effects, it's typical Gilliam, even after 22 years it still looks great and is testament to his imaginative set production.

Watched "Little Miss Sunshine" on DVD last weekend.

Strong characterisation, some enchanting dark humour and all the usual pitfalls of a dysfunctional family on a road trip. Only the ending lets it down - you want to take your seven-year old daugher out of a beauty campaign not because it's a freak show but because you dont think she will win??! Really??! :blink:

Still, 8/10 material :)

The Good Shepherd - starring Matt Damon as a CIA man in the Second World War up to the beginning of the 60s, directed by Robert De Niro.

It was reasonably gripping, if a little drawn out and gloomy, although the gloom was sort of the point as Damon misses out on family life for a job as a spy. He is pretty good at playing the straight man in most of his roles, and he barely cracks a smile here.

It's all a bit confusing at first but comes together, but at 3 hours of cold-hearted spy life it merits only a 6/10.

A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints.

'Gritty' film based on a true story mainly told in flashback to 80's Queens, New York. About a young guy trying to escape his grim surroundings and self destructive peers and move to California. Found the first half hour or so a bit of a struggle with loads of shouting and strange editing that didn't always work, but once it settled down it was quite poignant and affecting. Kind of felt it wasn't anything I hadn't seen before though.

Greenock's own Martin Compston is in it as the main protagonists Scottish friend and was pretty damn good. He was also there for a Q&A after the screening and came across as a nice guy.

'Space' Ace Frehley's 'Back In The New York Groove' was played over the end credits as well and it sounded f***ing magic.

7/10

Watched Ghost Rider (staring Nicolas cage) on a dvd last night...(a mates!!)

all i can say is...if your aged 10 and like the marvel comics this is

the film for you..otherwise stay well clear...Mr cage has done better.

4/10

No excuse, film piracy is illegal and wrong :angry:

A headsup for an excellent movie on Film 4 tonight at 11.

24 hour Party People is the Factory Records story, Steve Coogan is excellent as Tony Wilson and the soundtrack is superb.

Look out for John Simm, aka Sam Tyler from Life on Mars, playing Bernard Sumner of Joy Division/New Order.

Watched the Departed last night, 9/10.

Probably did deserve the oscars it got, as it was certainly very enjoyable. However i feel that it only won the oscar because of a bad year for films. Great performances from the cast and a decent enough storyline. May try the original version of the film sometime.

A headsup for an excellent movie on Film 4 tonight at 11.

24 hour Party People is the Factory Records story, Steve Coogan is excellent as Tony Wilson and the soundtrack is superb.

Look out for John Simm, aka Sam Tyler from Life on Mars, playing Bernard Sumner of Joy Division/New Order.

It's Paddy Considine that steals the show every time he is on the screen for me.

Best actor currently working in this country by 100 Broons.