What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Saw " The Many Saints of Newark" on Sunday night, good addition to the Sopranos story. Only gripe would be that the New Jersey police didn't seem interested in the various murders/running gun battles in the street. Still a solid 7/10 and it was good to be back in the cinema.

Two middle of the decade blockbusters today.

Godzilla (2014) dir. Gareth Edwards

I get the criticisms of this but I completely disagree. Rewatching it again on a bigger screen and a good soundsystem made me appreciate the scale Edwards conveys and the restraint he shows towards showing the monsters. The last 20 minutes are a joy that wouldn't have happened if he'd went gung-ho much earlier. That's before you get to scenes like the HALO jump which is class.

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) dir. George Miller

Nothing I can say that hasn't been said a million times before. Amazing cinematography and use of colour that looks even better in crisp 45 Ultra HD. The movie's also amazing at worldbuilding without overly expositional dialogue. You get the sense of this post-apocalyptic wasteland and how the elites come to control it in a few scenes without anyone really devoting much time to telling you. All the while it's great fun from start to finish and clearly effectively storeboarded and not CGI'd out of its nut like so many of its peers.

The Guilty(2018)

This is the original Danish film of the remake just out on Netflix with Jake Gyllenhaal. A cop is awaiting trial for something which will be revealed later and is given desk duties in the control room meantime. He takes a call from a woman who has been kidnapped and must try to locate her and direct officers to various locations etc. The whole film is set in the claustrophobic control room with only a handfull of characters and the main ones on the end of his phone. Outstanding......9/10. 

Two middle of the decade blockbusters today.
Godzilla (2014) dir. Gareth Edwards
I get the criticisms of this but I completely disagree. Rewatching it again on a bigger screen and a good soundsystem made me appreciate the scale Edwards conveys and the restraint he shows towards showing the monsters. The last 20 minutes are a joy that wouldn't have happened if he'd went gung-ho much earlier. That's before you get to scenes like the HALO jump which is class.
Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) dir. George Miller
Nothing I can say that hasn't been said a million times before. Amazing cinematography and use of colour that looks even better in crisp 45 Ultra HD. The movie's also amazing at worldbuilding without overly expositional dialogue. You get the sense of this post-apocalyptic wasteland and how the elites come to control it in a few scenes without anyone really devoting much time to telling you. All the while it's great fun from start to finish and clearly effectively storeboarded and not CGI'd out of its nut like so many of its peers.

I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was a steaming pile of shit.

Style over substance.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Style over substance.

Lazy critique. Ignoring that style over substance isn't necessarily a bad thing when the style is so perfectly nailed it also succeeds in conveying a lot of the world building and themes without wasting time explaining it or really being didactic about what it's trying to say. 

No Time To Die.

I'm certain this will split opinion, for a number of reasons. I fucking loved it, though I am a massive Bond fan, so much so that I've seen Die Another Day in its entirety more than once.

Ana de Armas may be the most beautiful woman in the world, although Lea Seydoux definitely has a say in the destination of that trophy.

ana-de-armas-and-lea-seydoux-attend-the-

6 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Style over substance.

It's not patch on the original trilogy, but it does have a guy with hybrid guitar/flamethrower. Now that is fucking cool.

Mad Max 2 is the best of the bunch IMO.

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

No Time To Die.

I'm certain this will split opinion, for a number of reasons. I fucking loved it, though I am a massive Bond fan, so much so that I've seen Die Another Day in its entirety more than once.

Ana de Armas may be the most beautiful woman in the world, although Lea Seydoux definitely has a say in the destination of that trophy.

ana-de-armas-and-lea-seydoux-attend-the-

Just back from seeing it and thought it was absolutely smashing. A fitting way to finish the Daniel Craig era. Thought the Ana De Armas part was a bundle of fun to watch and they work really well together. Their performance in Knives Out is wonderful too.

Christ I love a Bond film.

NO TIME TO DIE

Solid feature, nothing like as arse-numbing as you'd expect at that runtime, AND James Bond actually kills the baddie. 

Not often you'll see James Bond, Hugh Dennis and Wallace and Gromit sharing screen time, you'd have to say.

Wraps everything up for the next one quite nicely, although that's an awful lot of recasting needing doing now. 

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) dir. Wes Anderson

I used to find Wes really fucking annoying but maybe I'm softening. This was great and has a lot of heart in it. Visually stunning as always in his signature style and some terrific performances and cameos with Ralph Fiennes excelling as the star of the show. I really dug the period setting the most though, watching this tale unfold as Europe descends into fascism leads to a finale that was really affecting. I definitely need to go back and rewatch Life Aquatic now I think about it as both times I've watched I've been blitzed on something and tuned out until that final moment with Murray in the sub.

13 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

NO TIME TO DIE

Solid feature, nothing like as arse-numbing as you'd expect at that runtime, AND James Bond actually kills the baddie. 

Not often you'll see James Bond, Hugh Dennis and Wallace and Gromit sharing screen time, you'd have to say.

Wraps everything up for the next one quite nicely, although that's an awful lot of recasting needing doing now. 

I did wonder if there would actually be another one? 

Spoiler

I guess you could have a 007, but I don’t see how there can be a James Bond now they’ve killed him off.

49 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I did wonder if there would actually be another one? 

Hide contents

I guess you could have a 007, but I don’t see how there can be a James Bond now they’ve killed him off.

Spoiler

Maybe they'll have it that the spys name is james bond, but their real name is never spoken, like how M threatened to shoot Bond in QoS was it? So basically every 007 male will be James Bond

Defo enjoyed that, typically good Bond action scenes, liked the idea of a more involved supporting cast as well,