What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Savages - 6.5/10.

Again another film I expected to deliver but it never quite got there. It wasn't totally disappointing but it wasn't great. Very middle of the road with some decent performances from Del Toro, Hayek and Taylor-Johnson. I should maybe make it a 7 for Blake Lively alone, she's unbelievable :wub:

Django Unchained 9.5/10

All the hallmarks of a great Tarantino movie. Christoph Waltz stole the show (again). A few awkward/funny moments which i am a sucker for and some nice cameos mixed in as well. Didn't realise just how long it was but that doesn't take anything away from it, at all.

Les Misérables

Many on here have already given this film its deserved plaudits, and on the whole my opinion on it is: what they said.

In my mind it's already a heavyweight, among the best musicals ever, but not just that, an epic that tells a brilliant story, ingeniously directed by Tom Hooper, who I think can now be named among the best directors of this decade so far. The whole film was bursting with visual and audial energy, it quietened down in parts and I felt pieces of the film dragged on but it started with a flash, went out with a bang and packs plenty of magic moments throughout.

Saving the best bit for last, how about that for an ensemble cast? Easily Hugh Jackman's finest work yet, but not wanting to get too hung up on him, Amanda Seyfried and Eddie Redmayne made their roles great, Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen were in bloody fine voice once again, and special mention to Samantha Barks, who I think could be appearing in a few of the next big musical pictures, a very impressive voice. But it's Anne Hathaway who stole the show, her role is small but important and she absolutely nailed it, belting out "I Dreamed A Dream" better than any old maid from Blackburn ever could. I don't know if Russell Crowe was the best choice in his role but while he let the side down, he did a fair job of his solos.

One of a few of this year's Best Picture nominees to be set in the 19th century. And it's set the bar high for Steven and Quentin.

8/10

Edited by Albino Rover

Drive. 10/10

This film belongs in the 70s or 80s with its lone lead man on a mission and is pretty bleak despite looking amazing. After seeing the first half which is a bit of a slow burner the violence comes out of nowhere and it doesn't hold back. Some people will say it's over the top but violence is nasty and ugly and i thought that was portrayed very well in a film which is just beautiful to watch.

The dark knight rises. (second viewing)7.5/10

I was disappointed with this first time out but i may have been in a bad mood or had ridiculous expectations. On its own it is a very good film but it doesn't live up to the first 2

Andrew Dominik- great example of what a great director should do. He could have sold out after Jesse James but kept a low profile and did something genuinely interesting and original, with a message. Hats off to the guy, getting recognition can be the worst thing that could ever happen to someone like that, but he's stuck to his guns and made what he wants to make.

Considering it was a massive flop, I doubt anyone was queuing up to throw $30 million at him.

Great film though.

Saving the best bit for last, how about that for an ensemble cast? Easily Hugh Jackman's finest work yet, but not wanting to get too hung up on him, Amanda Seyfried and Eddie Redmayne made their roles great, Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen were in bloody fine voice once again, and special mention to Samantha Barks, who I think could be appearing in a few of the next big musical pictures, a very impressive voice. But it's Anne Hathaway who stole the show, her role is small but important and she absolutely nailed it, belting out "I Dreamed A Dream" better than any old maid from Blackburn ever could. I don't know if Russell Crowe was the best choice in his role but while he let the side down, he did a fair job of his solos.

Jackman is terrific, I agree. I'd never been a fan of Seyfried before but I have to say, she did a good job, although it's not her first stint as Cosette - though of course she was a child at the time - so it's no surprise she knew her way around the story. I've never seen Redmayne in anything before but will look out for him in future.

Helena Bonham-Carter can do no wrong in my eyes. I love her in everything I've seen her in. She does come across to me as an actress who puts everything she has into her role. Sacha Baron Cohen was, as you say, just brilliant though I had one criticism: why does he speak like a cockney and sing in a French accent? Actually, criticism probably isn't the right word because I loved the performance regardless.

The lovely, talented Banks as Eponine should have been outstanding, given she's already been playing the role in the west end (along with the young lad playing Gavroche, actually) and she absolutely did not disappoint. If that girl doesn't have a long career in musicals ahead of her, there's something very wrong. I still can't decide if Banks or Hathaway was my favourite performance.

A lot of people have criticised Russell Crowe and I have to be honest, I don't agree with any of it. I thoroughly enjoyed his soliloquy at Javert's suicide and I thought Stars was very well done. Like Gaz mentioned the other day, I think this may actually be the best film I have ever seen. The first time I have ever left a cinema wanting to walk straight back in and watch it all over again.

Jackman is terrific, I agree. I'd never been a fan of Seyfried before but I have to say, she did a good job, although it's not her first stint as Cosette - though of course she was a child at the time - so it's no surprise she knew her way around the story. I've never seen Redmayne in anything before but will look out for him in future.

Helena Bonham-Carter can do no wrong in my eyes. I love her in everything I've seen her in. She does come across to me as an actress who puts everything she has into her role. Sacha Baron Cohen was, as you say, just brilliant though I had one criticism: why does he speak like a cockney and sing in a French accent? Actually, criticism probably isn't the right word because I loved the performance regardless.

The lovely, talented Banks as Eponine should have been outstanding, given she's already been playing the role in the west end (along with the young lad playing Gavroche, actually) and she absolutely did not disappoint. If that girl doesn't have a long career in musicals ahead of her, there's something very wrong. I still can't decide if Banks or Hathaway was my favourite performance.

A lot of people have criticised Russell Crowe and I have to be honest, I don't agree with any of it. I thoroughly enjoyed his soliloquy at Javert's suicide and I thought Stars was very well done. Like Gaz mentioned the other day, I think this may actually be the best film I have ever seen. The first time I have ever left a cinema wanting to walk straight back in and watch it all over again.

I don't contend any of that. Although for me it's a non-contest whose performance was better- I really can't emphasise enough how blown away I was by Anne Hathaway!

Your favourite film ever? A matter of opinion but in mine multiple viewings are required before making that call. I remember seeing The Tree Of Life in summer 2011 and thinking the same thing, in fact I did go in and watched it again, it's the only film I've paid to see it 3 times and I bought a friend the blu-ray just to see the visuals in all their glory again. A year down the line it wouldn't make it into my top 10.

But point taken and agreed with, a fabulous film that has all the makings of a classic. I can see it being on television during Christmas holidays in 10 years' time, along with The Sound Of Music and Singin' In The Rain.

Les Mis is a story that I've long been familiar with, so I feel fairly confident making the call. I would never say that about a story I didn't know. I did worry beforehand whether it could live up to its history or the experience of seeing a musical live and in truth I'm still undecided on that. I just know I've never sobbed my heart out and been too enrapt to eat my Peanut M&Ms in a cinema before.

Silent Running

Early 70's environmental Sci-Fi with Bruce Dern. An absolute nailed on classic, which Mark Kermode says he rates higher than 2001: A Space Odyssey.

If you can watch it and not have a lump in your throat at the end then you're a fucking monster.

8/10

Edited by KnightswoodBear

Drive. 10/10

This film belongs in the 70s or 80s with its lone lead man on a mission and is pretty bleak despite looking amazing. After seeing the first half which is a bit of a slow burner the violence comes out of nowhere and it doesn't hold back. Some people will say it's over the top but violence is nasty and ugly and i thought that was portrayed very well in a film which is just beautiful to watch.

Still don't get the hype of Drive. Didnt care for it much at all.

Edited by 11thHour

The Hobbit - Still contained a lot of the LotR magic that I was hoping for. I loved the movie up until the stage that Bilbo left his home to join the dwarves on their journey. The next half an hour or so was a bit of a drag for me. A fair chunk could have been cut out, and there was no need for Radagast to be included. The fight scenes, for some reason, didn't seem to feel like they carried any threat of danger for Bilbo and the dwarves. The 'riddles' scene was a particular highlight and Andy Serkis was great once again as Gollum. Martin Freeman was also excellent. 7/10

Pitch Perfect - Surprisingly good. Easy viewing, quite amusing, and stellar performances from most. 7/10

Life of Pi - Absolutely glorious cinematography and a real delight to watch in 3D. It's a nice story and the performances were good. Again, maybe fifteen minutes or so could have been cut out (the scenes on the boat with the tiger) and not detracted from the quality of the film. I also thought the ambiguous ending was a bit pretentious, but obviously the film can't be faulted for interpreting the book. Excellent overall, although I suspect it may fall just a bit short of winning the Oscar for Best Film. 8/10

The Impossible - The decision to portray the true story of a Spanish family as a middle-class English family was an interesting one. It took me a while to get over my initial doubts. The posh accents were irritating me and I was unsure about a couple of the performances during the early stages (Naomi Watts and the young guy playing her son Lucas). However, I thought they both warmed up to their roles and I came out of the cinema having thoroughly enjoyed the film. The performances and dialogue are a bit cheesy in places and there is no need to implement a soundtrack as heavily as it does. The 'horror' music it occasionally uses seems out of place in a portrayal of a true story which is harrowing rather than scary (at least in the 'horror film' sense of the word).

Overall, all performances were good and Ewen McGregor was a standout. I ended up finding myself quite moved by it to a certain extent. 7.5/10

Seeing Les Miserables next week. I love the stage show, so I have few doubts that I'll enjoy it.

Les Miserables

Ooft. I've not read the book or seen any of the stage shows but I went in expecting good things. This film met my expectations and then left them in the distance.

The cast is brilliant and there's really good, and enjoyable, performances all round. Anne Hathaway's rendition of I Dreamed A Dream was terrific, Jackman puts in his best performance to date, and Russell Crowe has a brilliant on-screen presence (and I didn't mind his singing). The rest of the cast all deserve some recognition as well, particularly Eddie Redmayne and Samantha Barks. Helena Bonham-Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen were good value as well, very good comic relief.

Tom Hooper is a bit of a gem and I'm disappointed that he's not got another Best Director nomination. Three good films in a row and I really like his filming style (especially what now seems to be his trademark of framing an actor/actress at the edge of the scene). The film looked terrific, as did the costumes.

My only criticism was that the film - despite the running time - felt a bit rushed at times.

The rest of 2013 has a lot to live up to.

9.5/10

Edited by yoda

Life of Pi - Absolutely glorious cinematography and a real delight to watch in 3D. It's a nice story and the performances were good. Again, maybe fifteen minutes or so could have been cut out (the scenes on the boat with the tiger) and not detracted from the quality of the film. I also thought the ambiguous ending was a bit pretentious, but obviously the film can't be faulted for interpreting the book. Excellent overall, although I suspect it may fall just a bit short of winning the Oscar for Best Film. 8/10

Couldn't have put it better. I went to see it with high expectations which usually leads to disappointment. Even in 2D, it was sumptuous cinematography. I would go as far as to say the best cinematography that I have experienced. I expected a 10/10 movie for me it was a 7/10.

Edited by madmitch