What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Watched Mama on Wednesday night, started off not bad and then just fell flat on its face. Only plus point was the female lead

5/10

Red Down. It is an American war film directed by Dan Bradley and written by Jeremy Passmore and Carl Ellsworth.

I watch it last December. I watch it with my boyfriend and my brother. We are happy about this movie and their some war animations are superb. Music style is also awesome.

red-dawn-2012-poster.jpg

Red Down. It is an American war film directed by Dan Bradley and written by Jeremy Passmore and Carl Ellsworth.

I watch it last December. I watch it with my boyfriend and my brother. We are happy about this movie and their some war animations are superb. Music style is also awesome.

red-dawn-2012-poster.jpg

I think this is a remake of a Patrick Swayze film from the 80's ,

A Good Day To Die Hard

:lol:

This was fucking hilarious but so incredibly bad. First things first, Jai Courtney is alright and he could easily become an "action movie star". Bruce Willis looks like he can't be arsed and other than a hammy, tap-dancing, carrot-eating bad guy (no, really), every character is shit.

The CGI looks awful. The characters are awful. The film looks awful. The script is awful, as is the plot. The action sequences are fun (including one at the end with a helicopter which is ridiculously fun and made most people in the screen laugh) but really poorly edited. The "father-son" stuff is heavy handed.

One of the biggest things that I loved about the first two Die Hard films was that John McClane felt like a real character: good cop who cared about people and was a very likeable character. This John McClane is, seemingly, invincible (not a scratch until half-way through the film) and seems like some empty caricature. This film lacks tension, which the first three gave us.

John Moore's filmography is uninspiring (although I don't hate Behind Enemy Lines as much as most critics do) and I hope to never hear about him again.

The writing is dreadful. Russian bad guys? Is this 90s Bond? And don't get me started on the crass exploitation of Chernobyl.

Honestly this is just bad, and part of my Die Hard loving soul was torn apart as I laughed my way through the film. It isn't a Die Hard film. It isn't even an enjoyable, fun action film.

3/10

A Good Day To Die Hard

One of the biggest things that I loved about the first two Die Hard films was that John McClane felt like a real character: good cop who cared about people and was a very likeable character. This John McClane is, seemingly, invincible (not a scratch until half-way through the film) and seems like some empty caricature. This film lacks tension, which the first three gave us.

Hawd on a minute, did you not like Die Hard with a Vengeance?

To be fair, he's always been a bit invincible. Sure he got banged up in the first three but he manages to take down an absolute f**k tonne of guys, largely on his own. And the fighter plane in 4! :lol:

Paranormal activity 4 - same old rubbish but watched it anyway.

xbox kinect effect was pretty cool though but not worth making a movie from

3/10

Edited by DAFC

Love/Amour

I think something Michael Haneke has that many film writer-directors don't is knowledge of how to show just enough of a story to make its viewer understand the core, then wonder about it and interpret it in their own way. The film says so much and yet so little, and its entire subject matter all really boils down to the title.

With an impressive haul of acclaim since its release in Cannes I expected this to be a film near to perfection; to some it might be but I was pretty disappointed. It's about an old married couple, of whom the wife, Anne, has a mild stroke and deteriorates, and Georges looking after her. Their elderly love is a cocktail of tenderness, magic, anger, guilt, pity and nostalgia, and the film portrays it all. But it portrays it slowly (although Frenchy critics might say "patiently") and it dragged rather a lot for me. It's not a spectacular or emotional film, but rather a slice-of-life study that makes the viewer feel as though they're looking from the outside in at all times. Personally I find watching that kind of film to be cold and hollow and find it hard to engage with the characters, but to Haneke's credit he manages to characterise everyone perfectly and almost force the establishment of a bond with the main characters- they're in front of the camera for all but a few scenes.

One thing that makes a film drag for me, that's very noticable here, is that there's no score or soundtrack for the large part of the 2 hours. Some say silence is golden in movies but Michael Haneke conforms to that philosophy rather too much for me. But I won't get too hung up on the negatives because the acting's practically impeccable and the plot and character arcs are not as predictable as you might at first think. Me and thmy girlfriend shared a fondness of one scene where

Georges fires the second nurse and puts her in her place- it said a lot to me about how his character felt- in staunch defence of his wife till the end, yet weak and helpless against the impending tragedy, and angry because of it. Afterwards when he feeds Anne and lets his anger out briefly, then apologises, it emphasises Georges' feelings, it makes him such a contradiction of himself, but not even that could prepare us for his ultimate act of love- putting Anne out her misery and laying her to rest in a most beautiful fashion. The conclusion isn't crystal clear but as I understand it Georges left Eva the apartment key and the letter and went away to commit suicide.

It's hard to score this film because like Haneke's Hidden/Caché, watching it at times it felt boring but it's stayed with me and kept me and the Albinette thinking and talking while we waited for our next film. Despite my thoughts on its shortcomings I actually think it's a must-see and a technical work to be admired, and it could grow on me after multiple viewings. I'd encourage everyone to rush out to the Glasgow Film Theatre this week and see it while they still can, anyway.

8/10

Went to see "Mama" tonight. Just the same as every other horror film released these days: an atrocious, unbelievable, shite plot tucked in behind some cheap, easy scares. A fucking haunted bag of leaves man. Total balls. 2/10

Honestly, can't remember the last time I left the cinema after a horror film feeling genuinely entertained. It's becoming ridiculous. No effort goes into making horror films these days.

Song For Marion

A total gem of a film. The trailer might make it look cheesy and bullshitty, and I suppose it is, but it compensates for that by being as genuine and charming as you could ask a film to be. It doesn't pretend to be anything other than a nice story and a celebration of all that's good in life.

Terence Stamp plays Arthur, a grumpy old git who deep down is a soft touch, married to free spirited, bubbly Marion (Vanessa Redgrave)- everyone's best friend, and member of a wonderful old people's choir conducted by a young and energetic music teacher, Lizzy, played hear-warmingly to the point of adorability by Gemma Arterton. Marion's history of cancer comes back to haunt her and she begins to miss choir practise sessions...just before a big competition...which Marion's solo sealed the choir's place in at their audition!!! Who can save the day? If only Arthur could step up to the job on his wife's behalf...

The film may as well have skipped the obvious "will he, won't he?" dilemma, because of course you know all along that he does, and even though he might die on his arse out there, he's doing it for Marion- to make her proud. Meanwhile, of course the grumpy git has never bonded with his son, played by Christopher Ecclestone. That line adds a bit of depth and some extra sickly sweet sentiment but it works brilliantly.

The choir brings people together in many ways and that makes a real hero of Lizzy- she gives all her time to music to the point of alienating herself from all her fellow 20-somethings, and she's not afraid to make a laughing stock of herself in the name of fun, and I think (as well as the best dedication in film history at the end) that's what this film's all about. It's set in a fairytale world where school children have bells on their bikes, people bring pic-nics to watch an OAPs' choir sing in the park and the worst evil is a teenager who smokes in school, it's cheesily acted and in no way ambitious filmmaking but its message is as important and universal as any- enjoy yourself!

6/10

A Good Day To Die Hard

Honestly this is just bad, and part of my Die Hard loving soul was torn apart as I laughed my way through the film. It isn't a Die Hard film. It isn't even an enjoyable, fun action film.

3/10

Funny thing is that this is the first Die Hard film in the series to be intentionally written as a Die Hard movie. The rest were stories changed to suit the Die Hard Universe.

Still to see it myself and im scared to as your reaction I feel is the one I'll have. That one of my favourite movie franchises has went completely down the shitter.

Hawd on a minute, did you not like Die Hard with a Vengeance?

To be fair, he's always been a bit invincible. Sure he got banged up in the first three but he manages to take down an absolute f**k tonne of guys, largely on his own. And the fighter plane in 4! :lol:

I liked it but not as much as I liked the first two.

You saw him getting hurt though. In this he quite literally walks away without a scratch after rolling a 4x4, and then gets a small cut on his head after jumping from a, rather high, building. At least in the first three you saw him in pain, and he seemed "realistic".

Funny thing is that this is the first Die Hard film in the series to be intentionally written as a Die Hard movie. The rest were stories changed to suit the Die Hard Universe.

Still to see it myself and im scared to as your reaction I feel is the one I'll have. That one of my favourite movie franchises has went completely down the shitter.

Really? There's a few moments that are a rip off of Goldeneye and The Bourne Supremacy. Then they steal a moment from the first film, and an exact line from the fourth one.

The highlight was unquestionably when the good guy turned bad guy is thrown off a building onto the rear rotor blades of a crashing helicopter.

Song For Marion

A total gem of a film. The trailer might make it look cheesy and bullshitty, and I suppose it is, but it compensates for that by being as genuine and charming as you could ask a film to be. It doesn't pretend to be anything other than a nice story and a celebration of all that's good in life.

Terence Stamp plays Arthur, a grumpy old git who deep down is a soft touch, married to free spirited, bubbly Marion (Vanessa Redgrave)- everyone's best friend, and member of a wonderful old people's choir conducted by a young and energetic music teacher, Lizzy, played hear-warmingly to the point of adorability by Gemma Arterton. Marion's history of cancer comes back to haunt her and she begins to miss choir practise sessions...just before a big competition...which Marion's solo sealed the choir's place in at their audition!!! Who can save the day? If only Arthur could step up to the job on his wife's behalf...

The film may as well have skipped the obvious "will he, won't he?" dilemma, because of course you know all along that he does, and even though he might die on his arse out there, he's doing it for Marion- to make her proud. Meanwhile, of course the grumpy git has never bonded with his son, played by Christopher Ecclestone. That line adds a bit of depth and some extra sickly sweet sentiment but it works brilliantly.

The choir brings people together in many ways and that makes a real hero of Lizzy- she gives all her time to music to the point of alienating herself from all her fellow 20-somethings, and she's not afraid to make a laughing stock of herself in the name of fun, and I think (as well as the best dedication in film history at the end) that's what this film's all about. It's set in a fairytale world where school children have bells on their bikes, people bring pic-nics to watch an OAPs' choir sing in the park and the worst evil is a teenager who smokes in school, it's cheesily acted and in no way ambitious filmmaking but its message is as important and universal as any- enjoy yourself!

6/10

I can't disagree with that and I've give it a 6/10 too. I really quite enjoyed it. It's just a typical feel-good film but with enough sadness to bring it back to reality.

I'd marry Elizabeth in a heartbeat.

Went to see "Mama" tonight. Just the same as every other horror film released these days: an atrocious, unbelievable, shite plot tucked in behind some cheap, easy scares. A fucking haunted bag of leaves man. Total balls. 2/10

Honestly, can't remember the last time I left the cinema after a horror film feeling genuinely entertained. It's becoming ridiculous. No effort goes into making horror films these days.

I didn't see it at the cinema, but i think the last film that had me genuinely scared was probably Martyrs. The first half especially, with the "gargoyle". Was actually watching bits through my fingers.

I watched Dirty Rotten Scoundrels the other day, very funny film had seen it a while back but apart from Plane trains and Automobiles I would say that it is Steve Martins best performance, a bit cheesy in places but a good film nonetheless. 8/10

I didn't see it at the cinema, but i think the last film that had me genuinely scared was probably Martyrs. The first half especially, with the "gargoyle". Was actually watching bits through my fingers.

I liked Martyrs for a while, but it just got ridiculous to the point where I just didn't give a shit anymore. Everything from when Mademoiselle turns up onwards is just a lot of pish.

I liked Martyrs for a while, but it just got ridiculous to the point where I just didn't give a shit anymore. Everything from when Mademoiselle turns up onwards is just a lot of pish.

Aye, it definitely loses something in the last half hour/45 minutes. The first half is terrific though.

Went to see Broken City last night. It was better than I was expecting it to be and I really liked Mark Wahlberg in it (which is strange for me), it's the type of role he performs well. Overall was probably about the right length and was a decent story, a few points of contention - but then what film doesn't have any? The acting was over the piece good and it kept me entertained. What was going to happen was rather obvious though.

I'd give it a 7/10 - not the type of film I would watch again and again.

Broken City

Entertaining enough but it just felt like it had been done before, and better. It's certainly a throwback to the 70s/80s films of the same ilk: corruption in the big city with everyone harbouring skeletons in their respective closets, while making sure nobody finds them.

The acting is decent enough. Mahky Mahk does an alright turn. Russell Crowe does seem to rely on his screen presence rather than actual acting but it "works". I like Catherine Zeta-Jones as an actress but she's not really tested in her role, that said I can't fault what she does. The rest of the cast has some familiar faces: Barry Pepper, Kyle Chandler, Jeffrey Wright, and the guy who played that annoying c**t Ziggy in The Wire. The dialogue is well written but most of the characters don't have much depth.

The main pitfall for me is that the whole story is a bit weak, which in turn doesn't grip you despite entertaining you. It would also be fair to say that the plot is an example of a writer trying too hard to make a film that keeps you guessing.

6/10

( B- )