What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

50/50

I don't think I've laughed so much at cancer. Was also, obviously, really sad at parts. I think I was more upset that Seth Rogen was sad than Joseph Gordon-Levitt was almost dying. I've also decided that I want to marry Anna Kendrick - recently broken up with the director of Scott Pilgrim. Yas.

Drive was his big recent breakthrough.

I'd say The Notebook was his big breakthrough to be honest. it's not the most blokeish movie in the world, but I'd say it's still his biggest one to date in terms of sales and popularity.

I'm not actually a massive fan of Ryan Gosling if I'm honest. He plays the same kind of guy in every film he's in and he's too wooden for me.

Drive was his big recent breakthrough.

I think the original point was Gosling movies that were big before their release sort of thing. I only think Drive got popular because of it was received and the word of mouth spread.

I'd say The Notebook was his big breakthrough to be honest. it's not the most blokeish movie in the world, but I'd say it's still his biggest one to date in terms of sales and popularity.

I'm not actually a massive fan of Ryan Gosling if I'm honest. He plays the same kind of guy in every film he's in and he's too wooden for me.

I find the same to be honest, I did concede that I'd only seen him in The Ides of March and Drive, at the time. The Ides of March wasn't too bad and I know the character in Drive was meant to be like that. He was slightly better in Gangster Squad but still a bit, as you say, wooden.

I think the original point was Gosling movies that were big before their release sort of thing. I only think Drive got popular because of it was received and the word of mouth spread.

I find the same to be honest, I did concede that I'd only seen him in The Ides of March and Drive, at the time. The Ides of March wasn't too bad and I know the character in Drive was meant to be like that. He was slightly better in Gangster Squad but still a bit, as you say, wooden.

Been saying that for a while, that he is too wooden and seems to play a similar character in almost every film. Needs to be brought right out of his comfort zone in the near future I think.

Plus I think his voice is stupid. Just a small personal observation.

Detachment

An Adrian Brody film about a substitute teacher who goes to the worst school in the area and gets his class to learn something. Seems like a story that's been told a million times, but this film is nothing like your uplifting overcoming adversity movies of which there have been so many.

It's dark, thought provoking, tragic and intelligent and Adrian Brody puts in absolute masterclass of a performance. I've not seen him in much because i've never really liked the sound of many of his movies, but he was sensational in this.

The thing that i noticed most about this movie was that i couldn't take my eyes off the screen. There's very few movies that i've watched where it has 100% kept my attention the whole way through, staring at the screen. The way the story is told is brilliant, the directing, editing, acting performances are all amazing.

Watching all the different relationships Brody has with people on screen has been one of the best times i've ever movie watching experiences i've ever had.

It's hard to find much fault in this film, and it's certainly one that caught me off guard as i was just wanting something to watch due to boredom.

I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

9/10

Zero Dark Thirty

I hate the woman that caught Osama Bin Laden more than I hate Osama Bin Laden.

Yank propaganda nonsense.

The Americans were not portrayed particularly well in that film. If it was propaganda, as you say, then the torturing would not have been nearly as gruesome.

The Perk's of Being a Wallflower - 8/10

Watched this last night and thought it was a really good film. Likeable characters, excellent acting performances including a strong supporting cast, good script and an interesting and well executed 'development' towards the end of the film. Honourable mention to Emma Watson as she did a good job of making me not simply link her to the Harry Potter films.

It's hard to really sell the story on this as it's basically just about a boy trying to fit in at high school but it is really good and I would definately recommend it.

The Americans were not portrayed particularly well in that film. If it was propaganda, as you say, then the torturing would not have been nearly as gruesome.

The torturing was portrayed as being the reason why Bin Laden got killed.

It portrayed a sickening practice by the Americans as something noble.

It was pretty shameful stuff.

Yeah and that's why it's not a positive spotlight (couldn't think of a better word) because, you know, torturing is bad.

The question of whether "enhanced interrogation techniques" work is sperate from whether they're moral. The film shows:

1. Torture was used. You couldn't make a film about Bin Laden without including the use of these "enhanced interrogation techniques".
  2. Torture isn't entirely successful. Nobody can watch the film and conclude that torture lead them right to Bin Laden.

The film is entirely neutral on the moral issue of torture.

Aberdeen - Engaging and haunting road movie about a young woman hotshot London lawyer (Lara Headey) whose mother (Charlotte Rampling) who lives in Aberdeen contracts cancer. The lawyer; Kaisa; has a Norwegian father (Stellan Skarsgard) who's an alcoholic and she has to collect him en route and see her mother. Kaisa is a car crash and appears to have inherited her father's personality; casual sex and cocaine addiction mirror his alcoholism. Added to that the relationship with her mother is fragmented and involved lengthy separation early in Kaisa's life which she spent with Skargard and her Grandmother. The film is unrelentingly downbeat but all of the pain that occurs to the father and daughter are self-inflicted wounds. It's an emotional film without being sentimental and it is very subtle; we don't need to see what happened. The characters are superbly drawn and the acting is faultless.

9/10