What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Side Effects

A thriller that drew me in, had me guessing, then second guessing, then concerned that the arse was going to fall out of the whole thing, then showed that my concerns were completely unfounded. It looks good, I mean the colours are vivid - that certainly enhanced the experience. The performances were solid but not spectacular. The plot was a belter. I really enjoyed this.

8/10

A-

Flight 7/10.

Pretty good without being spectacular and could have been better. Denzel is an alcoholic pilot who pulls of a miracle landing after his passenger jet goes tits up. I think the film would have been a whole let better if they had made Denzels character a bit more crazy. Snorting coke off hookers etc. John Goodman should have featured more as he seemed like an interesting character. Worth a watch.

Alice in Wonderland (2010) - 4/10

Not nearly as bad as people had told me it was, however I was really underwhelmed by it. I love Carroll's original Alice stories. They are both fantastic adventures of a young girl wandering from one surreal encounter to the next in a world that basks in it's own madness and nonsense.

Tim Burton (in my opinion) makes a mistake in trying to rationalize Wonderland (or Underland?). We see political struggles between the white queen and the red queen which just feel so out of place in a world which is meant to be mad, chaotic and utterly unpredictable.

Theres also the frustrating story cliches of the ancient prophecy and the rise of the chosen one. Alice's status as the chosen one is pretty irritating as the only discernible reason for being the chosen one is that she fits the white queen's armour.

The film is visually impressive though quite a lot of the time. Alice's descent down the rabbit hole was really well done and it was a pity it didn't go on a bit longer. I also quite liked Helena Bonham Carter as the red queen and I enjoyed Matt Lucas as Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum too.

Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter left me pretty unmoved. I've read that he tried to bring a more vulnerable side to the Mad Hatter and make him more human which is fair enough but it didn't work for me. Personally I feel like it's a mistake to try and rationalize a character like the hatter and give him more depth. That said the scene before the battle where Alice tells him she believes she's dreaming and he seems genuinely hurt that she thinks he isn't real is a pretty touching moment.

Ultimately, the problem with this film is that in a story where almost anything could happen, everything feels so completely predictable. the villain is irredeemably evil, the good queen is such a goodie that she's insufferably bland. You also know Alice is going to triumph in both the fantasy world and her real life.

The only real surprise is that they didn't take one look at the Mad Hatter doing the futterwacken and cut it because it's more cringeworthy than surreal or kooky.

I wish Burton had decided to do a more straight up adaptation of Alice in Wonderland. It could have been really interesting where as this is just an underwhelming bland interpretation of it with a plot that is just too cliched for my liking.

Edited by captainkev

Identity Thief ( 2013 )

This is a lot of fun. Think it goes a bit over the top with the sappy shit when it's approaching the end, but there's certainly a lot of fun to be had here. A good cast ( including a wonderful supporting turn from Robert Patrick ) really helps here though.

7/10

Sightseers ( 2012 )

Actually quite a touching dark comedy this one. The sinister side of it always boils at the surface, but never truly takes over.

Untill it's brilliant ending.

The little supporting characters are usually brilliant. The rambler they come across quite early on is brilliant. So yeah, this is great.

9/10

Sightseers ( 2012 )

Actually quite a touching dark comedy this one. The sinister side of it always boils at the surface, but never truly takes over.

The little supporting characters are usually brilliant. The rambler they come across quite early on is brilliant. So yeah, this is great.

9/10

Did you see the ending as her freeing herself of being dominated and it was a liberating act? Without giving any plot spoilers.

Bablyon A.D

4/10

It could have been so so much better, great storyline, good action sequences, decent acting from Michelle Yeoh (Vin diesel is a horrendous actor). But the ending ruined everything.If I had watched it from beginning until 15 minutes before the end I would happily have given it 8/10, but since I saw the ending 4/10. Truly woeful.

Withnail and I

I watched this again in tribute to the fantastic Richard Griffiths, who died yesterday.

A flawless film in my eyes, and one that will forever be at the top of my favourite list.

'There can be no true beauty without decay'

5/5

That scene when he tried to fake the urine sample was hilarious

Silver Linings Playbook - Lovely stuff. Granted I've only seen about 10 films released this year but I'd have given this Best Picture over Argo. As a big De Niro fan, it's a thrill to see him put in a great performance in a good film again. Think Everybody's Fine is the only other example in about 10 years. Great performances all round as well.

Sightseers ( 2012 )

9/10

Watched it again, not as tired this time. I'll give it a solid 7.5/10. Now...

MINT ME!

Withnail and I

I watched this again in tribute to the fantastic Richard Griffiths, who died yesterday.

A flawless film in my eyes, and one that will forever be at the top of my favourite list.

'There can be no true beauty without decay'

5/5

It's a brilliant, brilliant film. I plan to watch it again soon.

End of Watch

Fantastic 'found footage' film from the director of training day. Really gritty drama if a little over the top.

8/10

The Seven Psychopaths

It had a real cult movie feel about it. Great performances from Woody Harrelson, Chris Walken and believe it or not Colin Farell.

Similar to The Big Lebowski, for me anyway. If you liked that then definitely see this.

9/10