Walking Down The Halbeath Road

There’s times I understand him bringing up Dundee. But I don’t understand why it seems to happen so often. That interview is another example of that. Yes, he can mention he worked with Wighton at Dundee and knows what he’s capable of. But going on about him being mismanaged there is just odd. Genuinely not sure of the point he’s trying to make. 

The interview should just have been mainly about how well Wighton has played since he recovered from his knee injury and how he sees him progressing in the future. Scored crucial goals and had some real moments of quality. I’m pleased with Wighton’s performances in general and very happy with McPake’s performance so far. Should be focussing on the positives, rather than bringing up the past like that.

Anger is a great motivator. Ever tried going to the gym when you’re raging mad about something? McPake seems to thrive on being annoyed about stuff. He’s channeling that energy into doing his best for Dunfermline. Really like that about him. It’s not all soundbites with him. 

2 hours ago, CallumPar said:

But going on about him being mismanaged there is just odd. Genuinely not sure of the point he’s trying to make. 

That, in his opinion, he was "mis-managed"?

Why is he not allowed to talk about his only other experience as a manager?

5 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

That, in his opinion, he was "mis-managed"?

Why is he not allowed to talk about his only other experience as a manager?

That’s not what he said, or what I said though, is it?  

In McPake’s interview about Wighton signing a new contract, McPake seems to focus on how he believes Dundee mismanaged Wighton and weren’t fair to him by putting pressure on him when he was younger. Then he says that the managers weren’t the issue, it was the board. It just seems like he was looking for an excuse to criticise the Dundee board.

I have no issue with him feeling hard done by with his sacking/feeling he has a point to prove. He’s learned from his time at Dundee and is doing a great job here. I just don’t think it was necessary to slag off the Dundee board when discussing Wighton signing a new contract here. I’d prefer we just focused on where we are now and where we can go. McPake’s absolutely entitled to discuss what he wants, I’d just rather see positivity about where we are and where he can take us, rather than negativity around a player’s spell at another club.

That’s it confirmed then.

On one hand, it’s the first time in over a decade that the team have actually surpassed my pre-season prediction. Fwiw I thought we had too much deadwood remaining, meaning Queens and/or Falkirk would be in a better position. Plenty of other teams looked menacing too meaning winning the division would be a real feat. However, in reality, it was a story of other teams’ failure as much as our own success.

Queens clearly made a mistake in sticking with Gibson, which removed them from the title race from the very start. Although going by today they wouldn’t have been close anyway.

Airdrie aren’t quite where they were last year. They play good football, but the inexperience of their management team is clear. Collapsing to a 4-3 defeat to us after dominating and being 3-0 up probably epitomises their season, as much as the 4 goal comeback epitomises ours.

Falkirk, too, can play very well on their day but are ultimately soft and lacked consistency for most of the season.

Montrose are miles off of where they were last season and clearly we all overestimated Kelty before a ball was kicked.

The only teams to surpass expectations are probably Alloa and Edinburgh. But we’ve beat Alloa every time and took 10 points from Edinburgh, so again their form only worked in our favour as they took points from potential rivals.

It was supposed to be a very competitive league that would take a very impressive team to win it. In reality, we spent parts of the season being the best team in the league by default. Simply being competent was enough. We’ve ended up limping over the line in what turned out to be a one-horse race.

In short, we did what was required. But just looking at the league table, it’d be easy to mistake our competence for dominance. In saying that, everyone says “on their day, anyone can beat anyone in this league”. Well, everyone had 3 or 4 days to try beat us and only one of them managed it. I don’t think anyone, besides maybe those idiots who never leave the Falkirk echo chamber thread, can deny we deserve it.

Not overly optimistic about next season until I see some solid recruitment. Striker(s) and a centre back definitely required. I’ve tried to be sensible here but if I can get carried away for one minute I’ll say build the team around Matty Todd because the boy is a star. Surely the best player to come from the Fife Elite since it was formed.

Anyway we have all summer to worry about signings. We got out of this shitty league, hopefully never to return. Job done.