Walking Down The Halbeath Road

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I'm sure it was mentioned obliquely and quite worryingly I think the phrase used was something akin to "we might have to make decisions that aren't popular" or something like that. I wasn't there, just relying on the transcript from dotnet so maybe someone who was there can furnish come context.

Why might they have to? I can't see anything in it for us. As I understand the proposals we won't benefit financially, and it's highly unlikely we'll ever be bottom of L2 so unlikely to ever benefit from the alleged softer drop it's meant to offer.

If that is Mehmet away, all the best to him. Recovered from a terrible debut season (which I’m putting down to mismanagement), to have a record breaking season. 

Personally, I think he’s replaceable and we can potentially bring in a better keeper. But I hope Mehmet goes on to have a good career elsewhere. Probably a good time for him to leave, as his stock will be higher than ever.

I rather suspect there will be some stat-daft scouts down in England mentioning him. We all know the defence has, first and foremost, been the reason for our record-breaking season. Mehmet can look back and be proud of his achievements, and I’d wish him nothing but continued success, but we can get someone in of equal quality, if not better…and on a lot less dough as well. 

Conor Hazard is a bit of a pipe dream. Will be on a decent wage at Celtic, and is used by them for cup competitions. Don’t think there is any obvious candidates, but McPake will get it right. 

Could potentially see you lot with Aidan McAdams next season? He’s pretty much set to leave us and I’m sure rumours were floated when we signed him that Dundee were one of the teams interested in him so McPake want to try and get him this time round. 

22 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Could potentially see you lot with Aidan McAdams next season? He’s pretty much set to leave us and I’m sure rumours were floated when we signed him that Dundee were one of the teams interested in him so McPake want to try and get him this time round. 

No tah. 

52 minutes ago, smpar said:

Was it Mehmet that Grant (maybe Hughes) threw under the bus in a post match interview? 

Can’t remember, both had the habit of blaming players when they were by far the biggest culprits in defeats,  must have been a dozen or so players each thrown to the dogs instead of showing abit of decency and self-responsibility.

I’d have liked mehmet to stay but if the rumours are right on his current wage and where he may potentially end up then I think it’s was always difficult to be able to offer a wage sensible for us that he would accept.  

Of the potential replacements mentioned McAdams is by far the worst, hazard seems possible but I don’t particularly see what has got him so far at Celtic and the level of loans he got. He’d be a very meh signing for me.   

McLaughlin was mentioned but seems more than a bit of a stretch, he’s bound to get better offers.

Edited by parsforlife

52 minutes ago, smpar said:

Was it Mehmet that Grant (maybe Hughes) threw under the bus in a post match interview? 

Don't think it would have been Yogi as Mehmet was fine in the 2 games he played under him.

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

Can’t remember, both had the habit of blaming players when they were by far the biggest culprits in defeats,  must have been a dozen or so players each thrown to the dogs instead of showing abit of decency and self-responsibility.

I’d have liked mehmet to stay but if the rumours are right on his current wage and where he may potentially end up then I think it’s was always difficult to be able to offer a wage sensible for us that he would accept.  

Of the potential replacements mentioned McAdams is by far the worst, hazard seems possible but I don’t particularly see what has got him so far at Celtic and the level of loans he got. He’d be a very meh signing for me.   

McLaughlin was mentioned but seems more than a bit of a stretch, he’s bound to get better offers.

Hazard a meh signing? He was playing against Roma just last year in the Europa League.

1 minute ago, VinnyPar said:

Hazard a meh signing? He was playing against Roma just last year in the Europa League.

I’d more focus on his league appearances.   30 odd games at championship/bottom half premiership on short term deals and not done a huge amount that has made anyone desperate to keep him on longer term

8 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

hazard seems possible but I don’t particularly see what has got him so far at Celtic and the level of loans he got. He’d be a very meh signing for me.   

For whatever it means I always thought he was a decent keeper with us in the Championship and he totally bossed the Finnish league last season with HJK, winning goalie of the season and the league with them plus all the European nights. Then again, Lee Erwin was comfortably the league's top scorer that season so his success might be taken with a pinch of salt.

Still, think his career's been held back by that white elephant of a Celtic contract he's on, and I reckon he'll have a healthy enough career as a decent professional goalie. Could do worse.

28 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

He is fucking awful

A ringing endorsement.

Does anybody know Jamie Macdonalds's contract situation? Seen he's been linked with that lit but surely we'd be able to offer better terms (not to mention we're no longer in the seaside league)

Just now, Rob1885 said:

A ringing endorsement.

Does anybody know Jamie Macdonalds's contract situation? Seen he's been linked with that lit but surely we'd be able to offer better terms (not to mention we're no longer in the seaside league)

I think his deal is up,he was linked with us.

39 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

A ringing endorsement.

It seems like he’ll be leaving us. I think we offered him something but I think he wants away. I though a team up with McGlynn or maybe Edinburgh City, where he coaches, a more likely move than along to the KDM.

Edited by Enigma

Can’t see MacDonald coming to us. Probably doesn’t fit what McPake is after. He also done his first interview at Raith wearing a jumper, jeans and brown shoes. He looked like a right rugby tosser. Not welcome. 

15 hours ago, par-adise said:

Has anyone had any interaction with the club around the conference league proposal? Did it come up at the supporters evening?

It was mentioned McPake seemed against it Cook seemed more on the fence.

Do we get a vote I thought I had read it was the club's in L1&2 voting on it and then I read the daily record saying that Aberdeen had withdrawn from the "newly created conference league" so has it already been agreed?

So with playoffs at both ends of the Championship still to be worked out, who would everyone like in the division next year?

I think I'd like to see Airdrie come up. As we seen this season, they travel fairly well if doing well so hopefully generate a better atmosphere. I used to quiet like going to New Douglas Park due to the high view behind the goals but we went to watch us play Clyde there in January and it was depressing, maybe it was the game itself as it was by far the worst I've seen us play this season.

Killie -  I don't really want them. They were down the season before last and even when we played them it didn't have a big game feeling although that was mainly down to us being shite. Killie are an attractive club for many so seeing them come down could see them pinch the best available players like they did last time, also have McInnes who I think is a good manager and is experienced in winning the division with them.

Dundee Utd - Actually sick of playing them in the Championship, however I don't think they'll be as good as they were the last time. A lot of big names on big money, I'm sure they couldn't take them into the Championship and there'll be no Shankland this time. Could see them being the 12th placed team.

St.Johnstone - Would personally like to see them come down, even if just for something new. Can't remember the last time we played St.Johnstone and always quite liked a wee day out to McDiarmid. As it stands I don't think they'll come down.

Ross Co - Have spent a good few years in the top flight and still funded by uncle Roy, could see them going straight back up if they came down.

I think the best scenario for us would be Airdrie coming up with us and Inverness going up with Dundee. Then St.Johnstone and Utd coming down. No tricky away days up north where we tend to struggle, replacing with two bigger games much closer and still getting to keep Thistle and a potential trip to lesser Hampden.